Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Help. 2000 Zetec spitting out coolant from plug holes on valve cover!
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
Fan#: 97222
What I Drive: 2000,ZX3,Blue,3DR,Auto,2.0ZETEC16

FF Reputation: 1 CitizenPete Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks for reaching back to me.

I can see the two freeze plugs from the open holes in the valve cover where the plug wires go and one for the freeze plugs looks pretty badly corroded -- I believe this is the culprit! (...but maybe I should R&R both, just to be certain?) I started "treating" the plug with WD-40 to prepare it for removal.

If it is this plug (and it comes out), it should be a inexpensive repair.

(The photos with the cover removed are not from my vehicle. I need the parts first)

I went to an auto parts store (AutoZone) today and they had no clue what a core plug or freeze plug was and could not find a part. I called a Ford dealer and got the same result? WTH? Everyone within ear shot at the AutoZone told me I had a blown head gasket. (Baloney!) A mechanic who was at the store (who happened to be picking up parts to fix another 2000 Focus), offered his moonlight services and would bring over the equipment (w/ screw adapter for overflow reservoir) to pressurize the coolant system, to verify where coolant is leaking from. I will probably take him up on his offer.

I have to find some place to order the plugs! Should not be so difficult to find these!

I will follow up on this post, so others with this issue can benefit from this. Any input, thoughts, rants, raves, questions of any kind would be appreciated.
2000 Ford Focus Zetec 2.0L, blue, 3 door, automatic, lots of miles. "If something cannot go on forever, it will stop," Herbert Stein.