Focus Fanatics Forum banner

DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread

1M views 4K replies 556 participants last post by  rczrider 
#1 ·
Well, I just scheduled an appointment on Monday to get my update for my 6-speed dual clutch. Seems like some dealers are willing to hand over the update (another poster on this board did), some dealers will still give the ole "its not a torque converter" mantra, and some dealers (the one I just called) don't know that there's a TSB out there, and when researched will come up with it. And the dealer I called fell into the latter (after I went to another dealer who gave me the mantra).

I'm happy with my DCT but I'm willing to see what this new update does for the transmission (in terms of smoothness and less hesitation). Hopefully, I'll have some noticeable difference. Did anyone else get an update? If so, how'd it work out for you. I'll let you know my thoughts after a good drive on Monday.

#2,609 ·
I'm like you. I'm freaking out reading all these issues. I think a 14 would have the latest updates, and I think might have newer clutches from another vendor with less issues. So far, at 500 miles, I have not experienced any of the issues.

I have the opportunity to trade this car off for a F150 and not loose my butt money wise.. i'd only loose $1500 trade in wise, and the F150 would be $1750 more. So I could just eat the 1500 loss in trade value, and I could walk out with a base F150 for $1750......

I knew the car drove different before I got it, but if I had known all the issues prior, i am not sure I would have bought this car.

However, like I said, its given me no problems, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

kinda like the shows on HGTV....... Love it or list it......

Love it or trade it! LOL

#2,614 ·
Ford isn't interested in rectifying the sins of their dealerships.

I've been told that, because dealerships are independently owned and operated, that Ford can't make them do anything.

So if they screw you on a deal, or mess up your car by installing defective parts or incompetently installing good parts... well...

"There's nothing that can be done."

Ford doesn't even seem to be interested in the fact that the last dealership I went to charged them to replace, under warranty, parts completely unrelated to my complaint.

If they aren't interested in going after dealerships stealing from Ford warranty coffers, they certainly aren't interested in going after dealerships that might be screwing over and lying to customers.

If you really want to file a complaint against that dealership, you'll need to take it up with the government.

Because I can tell you from personal experience that Ford won't give a shit that one of their dealerships screwed you, lied to you, damaged your car, or committed warranty fraud. Apparently Ford is OK with their dealerships doing those things.

#2,616 ·
I was told that the dealerships are independently owned and operated so complaining to corporate won't help, you have to complain to the CEO or president of that particular dealership, and may want to contact the BBB as well . However being under a Ford warranty and such, if you have a bad experience at your dealership just find a different dealership with good service. That's what I did and have been fine . Good luck .

#2,617 ·
Just got my Focus' clutches swapped yesterday. The shuddering and grinding noises are no longer present... Hopefully it stays this way. Dealership performed TSB 13-9-4, as per my repair order.

I originally went to East Court here in Toronto, but they pretty much shot me down. Went over to Markville Ford, and was on waiting list for 3 months until yesterday. When I initially brought my car to their attention, they knew immediately that the clutches needed to be swapped. I didn't have to argue as I did with East Court.

Torontonians, go to Markville Ford if you're getting zero luck elsewhere!

#2,619 ·
Some good news from me. Worked with the Ford service reps from here and took the car in on Monday morning from the dealer I bought it from. They called me the first time saying that they drove the vehicle but everything was normal. I had to remind them that they needed to take it for an extensive trip with stop and go traffic, which they contacted me a couple hours later saying they were able to re-create the issue. That alone made me happy since I wasn't getting jerked around.

They performed a "transmission / clutch adaptive relearn with road test" (according to the paperwork) and I got the car back tonight. I then was the only person in Southern California that seeked rush hour stop and go traffic and was pleasantly surprised with the results! Hopefully it'll remain good, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Thanks to Todd / Ashley to help get the ball rolling :)

#2,620 ·
They performed a "transmission / clutch adaptive relearn with road test" (according to the paperwork) and I got the car back tonight. I then was the only person in Southern California that seeked rush hour stop and go traffic and was pleasantly surprised with the results! Hopefully it'll remain good, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Thanks to Todd / Ashley to help get the ball rolling :)
Glad to hear this, Rzyvo. I'm happy to have been able to assist, and I just passed the message on to Ashley (her response, and I quote, was "Yayyyy!")

Always here if you need me!

Todd

#2,621 ·
After some help from ^^^FordService I got in contact with someone at Ford. I had an appointment with the techs at another dealership where we did a test drive with me in the car. The guy driving was a master tech and he was like, this is one of the worst I've seen. They handed me the keys to a rental Focus and three days later, which is today, I got the car back and it drives smooth as silk. They replaced the clutch pack, seals and some other misc. parts. Thanks again fordservice!

#2,628 ·
They replaced the clutch pack, seals and some other misc. parts. Thanks again fordservice!
Glad to hear this, enginjoe. Please let me know if you have questions.

Got my appt for tomorrow morning. Not even the dealership I go the car from, but they are local, and have taken care of other issues in the past for me on my 2011 Expy. Hoping their great customer service continues on to my Focus, and that they can get the shudder removed/mitigated. I'll let you all know what happens. Thanks to all of you for your information, and specifics, like the actual TSB's, etc. Great stuff!
Hey EMTPJ,

I'd like to loop in your regional customer service manager, who'll work with your dealer on a swift resolution. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Todd

#2,622 ·
When bringing in your vehicle for service, will they automatically run the software from the latest TSB or do you have to ask? I haven't had any major issues and mine has a build date of 12/20/2011. I'm actually more concerned that they'd do something to make the transmission worse as mine has been pretty good for the most part. No grinding, shutting, etc. justa bit of delay on occasion when accelerating faster while already moving, like merging onto a highway. I always put it into S before doing so as well. My previous vehicle was a 2007 ZX4 5 speed, so the "downshiting" into S doesn't bother me. The only annoying thing is having to put it into D as S mode does not engage 6th gear.

#2,623 ·
Typically, a dealer will check for software updates only if there's a problem. With the Focus and its DCT there's one exception: Field Service Action 12B37. If you've owned the car since new, you should have received a letter from Ford a year or so ago mentioning you should have this update and you would jeopardize your warranty if you didn't. So be sure you have this (if you're not the original owner, input the VIN into etis.ford.com and it should tell you if this is still outstanding).

Otherwise, it's a tough call. If you ink it works well, maybe you shouldn't mess with success. The latest updates seem to help some. In my case, the most recent update did improve throttle response, bringing from awful to merely poor.

#2,627 ·
So I am new to the forum, and love my 2012 Focus, other than the "shudder" I just started getting in my transmission. Armed with the Field Service Actions I need done on the Sync, and the TSB on the transmission shudder I called my local Ford Dealer. They were well aware of the 2012 shudder issues, and were more than happy to set up an appt for me to take it in, and address the Sync updates, and to check out the transmission issue. Service mgr actually said "well we will check it out, and if it just needs the software update and that fixes it, Great. But of we need to do the clutch pack, etc. we will take care of that too, and make sure you are happy".

Got my appt for tomorrow morning. Not even the dealership I go the car from, but they are local, and have taken care of other issues in the past for me on my 2011 Expy. Hoping their great customer service continues on to my Focus, and that they can get the shudder removed/mitigated. I'll let you all know what happens. Thanks to all of you for your information, and specifics, like the actual TSB's, etc. Great stuff!

#2,632 ·
How long have you guys waited for the TSB to be done? We are going on three months waiting for the dealer to get the clutches in - or so they say. We're currently on the road traveling - as they told us "it won't leave you stranded", yet through the course of the 8000 miles we have driven it waiting for parts, the amount of grinding, swishing, and other odd noises has increased dramatically. Mind you, are problem starting simply as the shuddering at slower speeds. Now I'm not sure what other damage is happening.....

#2,635 ·
Bummer for me, I guess. Ford Service kills me. I had to sell a 2 year old Taurus due to lack of attention by a different service department. It's unnerving that it seems all the dealers are the same. I even called back a few weeks ago and got the stock reply - "still backordered and not sure when they'll come in".

I'm at a point where I am not even comfortable driving the Focus anywhere.....

Thanks, Ford.

#2,636 ·
Update:
At a few months since I went in for tsb, I was going to change the oil myself a few days ago and saw the dreaded bell housing leak. Immediately got into dealer and they took it in. Total repair time was 1day due to several other foci ahead of me. I am unaware of the MY of other said foci but mine is a '13 with a build date of Jan 2013. The input shaft seals were replaced and no charge to me and reprogrammed the PCM with note to the 13-09-04. Got the car back a few hours ago and it shifts exactly like the rental focus I had. None of the jitters from before. I will point at just bad parts in general but my build date proves that this issue is not isolated to the '12 MY dct. I do not beat the living s[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] out of my car and drive it moderately. Shout out to Brandon Ford for having great service and excellent customer service. Oh, and no I have not lost hope with my car. Still love it

#2,640 ·
Got mine back from the dealer, and 200 miles in, it is perfect. No shudder, or any issues at this point. I think I have been fortunate that my dealer is simply amazing. Small town dealer, with small town values, and ethics it seems. Very pleased, and I hope that I can chaulk up my shudder to bad parts, and now enjoy my Focus again.

Still love it, but the shudder just made me sick to my stomach that I made a bad purchase. Worried to death about being in this car for several more years financially, etc. However, I am now cautiously optomistic that this situation has been remedied, and I look forward to a couple hundred thousand more miles of enjoyment in my Focus.

#2,644 ·
Bad day at Benson Ford In EASLEY SC

Hey guys, My 2013 SE hatch back has 2 problems.

1) I have a relay in the drivers side rear access panel that buzzes like a Bumble bee in a jar. Took my car to Benson Ford in Easley SC this am. Was told that the relay operates the heated seats, parking assist and something else (can't remember ).
Well, thats all fine, except I have none of those in my car. When asked why it was in there if my car did not have those options, I was told " its there to operate the heated seats......etc."
Again I told the service advisor that my car has NONE of those options.[?|]
"Well it has to be there for those systems to work".. I then realized that Benson Ford has no idea why that relay is there!
So he said " if it happens again to bring it in for testing"...Again!
so, I have a unresolved issue with that. Hoping it dosen't BUZZ anymore.

2) My tranny gave me a scare tuesday am.
My throttle response has been slack at times, but tuesday it bogged down to the point of not wanting to accept any throttle at all.
THEN it really went south. I came to a stop sign , started forward, it again bogged down with limited throttle movement. And if that wasn't enough, it revved to 5000 rpm and engaged as if I dumped the clutch in a manual 6 speed!! "BANG" holy crap!!
I told Benson Ford about this, and they said they reset or reflashed the computer.
I asked if there was a service bulletin on this DCT transmission , I was told no.
SO, Ill just have to wait and see whats next.

As I was leaving Benson Ford, a couple in an 2012 SEL hatch back asked if they could look at my engine as it was running. Sure!
Well come to find out, they had a new clutch put in their car with only 38,000 miles on it!
And now their car was idling very roughly. They were told by the service advisor that this was NORMAL!! [thumbd] WHAT?? normal to idle so Rough that the door shook when opened?
If anyone has any more info on these type problems , please lead me in the right direction as to what FORD is doing to solve them!

#2,645 ·
Hey guys, My 2013 SE hatch back has 2 problems.

2) My tranny gave me a scare tuesday am.
My throttle response has been slack at times, but tuesday it bogged down to the point of not wanting to accept any throttle at all.
THEN it really went south. I came to a stop sign , started forward, it again bogged down with limited throttle movement. And if that wasn't enough, it revved to 5000 rpm and engaged as if I dumped the clutch in a manual 6 speed!! "BANG" holy crap!!
I told Benson Ford about this, and they said they reset or reflashed the computer.
I asked if there was a service bulletin on this DCT transmission , I was told no.
SO, Ill just have to wait and see whats next.

As I was leaving Benson Ford, a couple in an 2012 SEL hatch back asked if they could look at my engine as it was running. Sure!
Well come to find out, they had a new clutch put in their car with only 38,000 miles on it!
And now their car was idling very roughly. They were told by the service advisor that this was NORMAL!! [thumbd] WHAT?? normal to idle so Rough that the door shook when opened?
If anyone has any more info on these type problems , please lead me in the right direction as to what FORD is doing to solve them!

Can't help with the relay issue. Not to knowledgable about the foci electrical stuffs.

2). We're you getting on and off the gas quickly in a low speed environment? See if the the reflash helps, there is a tsb, but I believe it states when it's slipping in the "accepted range" they'll reflash. Otherwise, if it isn't in the range or if there is the bell housing leak, they have to replace the input shaft seals. This requires the trans to be taken out and clutch pack inspected. In my case the shaft seals were the only issue that needed to be fixed. The clutch was free and clear and I was told it gets a solvent bath. So far, when I had it back, no shudders or abnormal "marbles rattle". But I will keep updated, car is currently in paint and body for warranty paint work.

#2,646 ·
MY car only has 4500 miles. It has been low speed issues. From stop to 35mph, under moderate throttle, to light throttle input .
I drive on back roads with several stop signs on the way to and from work.
I also had clutch smell that same day! Crossing fingers that clutch pack doesn't go out.

#2,649 ·
I think what Fords needs to do is find out why some cars have issues and some don't. There has to be a common denominator in all of this. Until then Ford should at least do these things.

Known problem:
main oil seal

solution:
redesign the oil seal and make it more robust.

Known problem:
adaptive transmission programing.

Solution:
Get rid of it until it is perfected. Create a generic pre programed shifting "tune".

#2,652 ·
Are you experiencing these concerns (transmission leak) currently, Black Bengal? Let me now and I'll look into available options.

Todd[/QUOTE]

Todd,
Thanks. Over the past several years I have gotten great service from Ron Carter Ford in Alvin, TX. I'm planning to set up an appointment there soon. I'll let you know how things work out.

#2,653 ·
Thanks. Over the past several years I have gotten great service from Ron Carter Ford in Alvin, TX. I'm planning to set up an appointment there soon. I'll let you know how things work out.
You're welcome, Black Bengal. Always here if you need me.

Todd

#2,654 ·
My 2012 SE was fine until recently and the clutch has gotten terrible when the car has warmed up. Took it in yesterday and they said I was absolutely correct and they are ordering parts which should be in probably in 3 days. I hope the problem gets fixed because I really want to like my car again :-(

#2,655 ·
My 2012 SE was fine until recently and the clutch has gotten terrible when the car has warmed up. Took it in yesterday and they said I was absolutely correct and they are ordering parts which should be in probably in 3 days. (
Hi Peppersmum,

I am your Canadian Ford Service representative. [:)] It is awesome to know that your dealer cares. For future questions or concerns, please reach out to me.

Kwasi

#2,656 ·
OK after reading a good majority of the post's I have a headache. I bought my daughter a 2013 Focus. About two months ago the tranny began shuddering. She took it to the dealer and they found an oil leak, cleaned the clutches, fixed the leak and did the updates. About a two weeks after it began doing the same thing. She took it back to the dealership and they told her and me that the clutches were within specs from ford. So she drives off from the dealership and it does the same thing, I call the tech and he says thats all ford will do because it is within specs. Anyone have any ideas of I guess I will have her take it in a few more times and then contact a lemon law attorney. Thanks in advance

#2,658 ·
i'd agree w/ you on this.. honestly, i'd like to get a fiesta or focus ST but the dismal mileage of both is keeping me away....
most folks on the fiesta st forums are only getting 21-32mpg. for me that's not enuf for such a small car/motor, esp as steady hwy driving doesn't activate the turbo if one keeps one's foot out of it.

#2,667 ·
UGH! Time to Trade In???

About a month ago I was in drive and I came to a stop light. When it was time for me to release my brake and drive forward the car just revved. It put itself into neutral!

But, today I had some MAJOR MAJOR changes and scares. I get into my car and when I drive it, it wont shift gears until it is almost redlining and it feels like it gets stuck. It was SUPER scary driving on the freeway in the carpool lane and going uphill and all of a sudden it starts jerking (the way it does when someone is learning how to drive a stick).

Taking to dealership tomorrow. They will probably do some "ZAP" and all will be better until the warranty comes up. Hmmm, maybe time to trade in. BUT I LOVE MY CAR!!!!! [mecry]

#2,669 ·
About a month ago I was in drive and I came to a stop light. When it was time for me to release my brake and drive forward the car just revved. It put itself into neutral!
Hi LisaDaisy36,

I'd like to loop in your regional customer service manager, who'll work directly with your dealer to come to a solution. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

Todd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.