Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Stopping engine into "On" with Push button start

14K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ford_contour 
#1 ·
Searched the forum and the owner's manual, but could not find this one issue addressed.
With Push button start, it is possible to put the vehicle into the "On" ignition mode by pressing the START/STOP button without applying the brake. With the brake applied, pushing the button start the engine.

When I stop the engine, it always goes directly into the "Off" ignition mode. Does anyone know how to stop the engine into the "On" mode? The only way I can do it know is to remember to press the START/STOP button again (without the brake) immediately after turning the car off.
It is fairly annoying when I forget to do that (quite often) and the radio turns off when somebody exits the car. Takes a little while for it to come back up (or ages, if I had BT streaming on... [:(])

#2 ·
You don't want it ON. You want ACC. Think of it as with a key. Off/Acc/On/Start. When you start the car the key is at the start position. When you release the key it goes to the on position and the car is running. To stop the engine you have to turn the key back to ACC since it's already in the on position. I know it's not really an answer, but it may help you find an answer more easily.

#3 ·
I think you might mean you want to run the radio and such without starting the engine. If so, just push the button but do not press the brake. This will turn on all the goodies but not start your car. I hope this is what you meant.

#4 ·
Yeah you just park, and do not press the brake pedal...then hit the button...which takes you into Acc mode without engine running. I do this every morning before I walk into work. I like to sit in my car and listen to music beforehand. Maybe that's what you're getting after?

Posted via iPhone 4S

#5 ·
I am looking for that - just in reverse. After I have been driving, I want to be able to turn the engine off into Acc. Say we want to make a quick stop at a grocery. We pull in, and my wife gets out to grab a couple of things. I stay in with the kids. I turn off the car, but want to be able to listen to the radio uninterrupted. Currently I do not know how to turn off the car without turning off the radio (and it does turn off the second my wife opens the car door).

#6 ·
Bc all newer ford cars are equipped with that when you turn the engine off into Acc mode and open a door, it shuts off. Kind of a fail safe. That has happened to me before where someone gets out, you either just hit the button again or turn the radio on by hitting its power button. OR, just wait until she gets out to enter into Acc mode and wala!!! Dunno what else to tell ya man :)

Posted via iPhone 4S

#7 ·
I know of no way to transition from Started mode to ON mode without hitting the push button twice. I'm not sure I really want to go to ON mode anyway in this situation but rather ACC mode. The problem with ON mode is that EVERYTHING in the electrical system is on including HVAC and you would run the battery down quick in this mode.

According to the user manual for Push Button start (pg 268), there is no specific ACC mode. I expect this is because they figure you can still turn on MFT or leave it running in OFF mode. The problem is (as you noted) a door open turns off MFT which you often don't want. I wonder if something on the physical power button can be initiated that would tell the car, "I want the radio on and DONT help me by turning it off just cause I open a door." I absolutely LOVE push button start in every respect except this irritation you describe.

#8 ·
The only way around I found is to shut off the car, then turn on the radio with the Power button on the radio (not the push start). Then the radio stays on until you turn it off yourself. I haven't tried it without the FOB in my pocket, but I think it works.

It's a bit annoying to have to turn it back on every time you turn off the car, but still much better than having to fiddle around with keys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.