Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Official Second Gen Gas Mileage Thread!!

18K views 118 replies 37 participants last post by  Miller88 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys! With gas prices rising I have shifted to slower driving and trying to get the best mpgs possible rather than hot rodding around haha.

I got to thinking about it and decided to create this thread for everyone to share the total miles they can get per tank of fuel!

Here is how it will work, post your total miles for your tank from full to the 50 mile light.
Also include what percentage was highway/city driving.
We can all share what we get and what mods we have along with driving styles and suggestions on improvement!

take a pic of the mileage with the receipt for the gas used for that readout(=
AND THIS WILL RUN ON THE TRUST FACTOR.. NO LIEING ABOUT GETTING MORE MILEAGE THAN YOU GOT LOL

NO CHEATING!

Lets get to it!

#40 ·
so i just saw this, but my focus doesnt tell me how many miles/km till empty... is this just with the 08? also, my gauge cluster is all black, and lights up red/blue... its not white like the one in the picture? also just filled up tonight, will report back on thursday with my mileage.

#41 ·
People are just posting that but what we are actually supposed to post is the trip miles. reset it when you fill up then when you get back to the 50 mile light post your miles achieved during that tank of fuel.
my cluster is the same color as yours they just unlocked some of the functions on the later models.

#45 ·
Yeah it passes the time. I just wish I could write off my gas expenses each year. :(

I'm interested to see if summer fuel gives me a little better MPG. It's still cold and snowing here in Montana.

Also something that is interesting to note: I installed cruise control in my car around the middle part of February, and it doesn't look like it has effected my MPG in any way. Still getting almost exactly the same. I actually thought it might drop a little since there are a few sections of road where the car now downshifts to maintain speed with the cruise on. Without cruise, I would just let the mph drop without allowing the car to downshift. Like I said though: no difference.

#48 ·
I've had my car almost a month. Car says average 27.8. 364 mile until E when I filled it up yesterday.

#49 ·
I'm going to fill my car up tonight, but I've been driving rather "agressively" lately. So I might be lucky to clear 30mpg.

On a side note I did an all time best of 39.4mpg (494miles on 12.5 gallons). After I filled up on that tank my DTE said over 500 miles.

#50 ·
Chase, I don't think people should be using the 50 mile light as an indicator. I think it really should remain miles traveled divided by gallons used to get to full.

I say this because I believe it even says in the owner's manual that the "miles left" is a sliding average based on the last 400 miles driven. So the 50 miles until empty indicator is not really accurate.

That said, with my stock 15 inch wheels, if I'm on the highway all day I can get upwards of 43 mpg. Now I just have to prove it!

#56 ·
Good question. I'm not really sure. I always use Trip A to figure out distance between fill ups, and Trip B to figure out distance between oil changes.

So every time I get gas, I look at Trip A, divide by number of gallons to get to full to get mpg, then reset Trip A until the next time I fill up.

So you could do the same thing and use one of the Trip meters to go 300 miles minimum between fill ups.

#60 ·
that is about what mine was after my "situation" arose when i was just past half tank. The two bolts that hold my flexpipe to my exhaust somehow came loose and have me a massive exhaust leak or basically running straight headers which made my gs mileage go to shit (i could see it lol) This all happened on my way back from my parents saturday afternoon and no shops were open to help me. after getting back home about 100 miles later i got pepboys to put some exhaust bolts in for me after work sunday afternoon. Anyone who says zero backpressure is good for mpgs needs to hold their mouth over the exhaust pipe lol it drove like total crap and i just watched the mpgs plumit on my way back.

#64 ·
I went to Daytona for spring break nationals and only got 32 mpg... went 357 miles with the tank. I drove 65 the whole way... WTF! Average in the car said 28.0

[xx(]

#65 ·
At full, my "miles to empty" is 464. This last tank was 35.76 mpg, but the last 100 or so miles were very "spirited" driving [shhh]

#66 ·
I have decided to see how well I can do with my normal half-spirited driving on this tank. On my next one, I am going to try to see how well I do without all of the craziness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.