Focus Fanatics Forum banner

In cabin Air filter 2012 Focus

111K views 154 replies 92 participants last post by  Jamilee 
#1 ·
Has anyone been able to locate it yet? The manual says passenger side kick panel. Yet I can’t seem to find it.

#4 ·
Found it! It is high in the passenger footwell up against the firewall. Sort of behind the center stack.

To get to it, remove the fiber cover that hides the fusebox (squeeze the two black fasteners to remove).

The filter is located left (inboard) of the fusebox. You should see two blue latches on the filter door, squeeze them together to release.

It's kind of a frameless pleated filter that fits fairly tight. I pulled on it a little, but didn't want to risk trashing it without a replacement so I did not remove.

Here's a photo. Sorry for the crummy quality. I shot it with my phone and a flashlight.

#9 ·
So did anybody figure out how to replace this bugger yet? I looked at mine last weekend and the HVAC piping seems to make it nearly impossible to get a new filter in without destroying it in the process. I even cut the insulation off the problem pipe and it did not provide the clearance I need.

#19 ·
I replaced my filter, it was kind of a pain in the ass. You can pull (more like rip) out the old one without removing the BCM, but it's impossible to get the new one without doing that. Luckily, the wiring harnesses are fairly easy to unplug/plug and the whole fuse box assembly comes out easily enough without tools. It's just a major pain because its such a tight space to work in.

#20 ·
I don't have my 2012 Ti yet but I had to replace the cabin filter on my Matrix not too long ago -- there was very little air coming out of the vents with the AC on and at first I thought the heat exchanger ha frozen over. However, after replacing the filter the AC was just fine.

Depending on how dusty it is where you drive you might go a few years or less than half a year before the filter is clogged to the point of choking off air flow...

Brian

#27 ·
Anyone successfully removed and replaced their cabin filter yet? I got mine out, but damn near tore it in the process. The fuse block and some assorted hoses/wires/somethings up top are preventing easy access.

It's pretty dirty, so I'll be replacing it tomorrow if I can find one. I blew it out with some compressed air but it's still got a lot of crap in there.

So, is there an easier way to get it back in? I was able to disconnect the fuse block from the firewall, but the wires were still connected and I couldn't push it out of way enough.

#28 ·
So, is there an easier way to get it back in? I was able to disconnect the fuse block from the firewall, but the wires were still connected and I couldn't push it out of way enough.
Not sure - the service manual says you need to disconnect the fuse box... I just had my dealer do it during an oil change. haha

#33 ·
2012 Focus Cabin Filter

Just relpaced filter @21K. It was black.
To make it easier to get the new filter in, if you gently squeeze the top & bottom of the filter it decreases the size & provides a rounded leading edge as you insert it. Once you have the leading edge in the filter snaps back to its squared shape.
Did not have to remove fuse box doing it this way.

Who ever designed this should be shot.

#34 ·
Just relpaced filter @21K. It was black.
To make it easier to get the new filter in, if you gently squeeze the top & bottom of the filter it decreases the size & provides a rounded leading edge as you insert it. Once you have the leading edge in the filter snaps back to its squared shape.
Did not have to remove fuse box doing it this way.

Who ever designed this should be shot.
If you think its bad in this application, the Mazda 3 has 2 short panels that need to be levitated in on top of one another. #fail

#36 ·
I took mine out today and replaced it... 10 minute job and did not remove or unplug any pcm parts or disconnect the battery. Here's the secret... There is a small downward facing vent under the glovebox. Undo the bolt and push the vent to the left. Pull the old filter out in an arc through the space where the downwards facing vent was while squeezing the filter as previously noted by others. To install u simply push the filter in through this space while squeezing the end a bit and just feed it in on an arc (like making a left hand turn kinda)... Occasionally aligning and manipulating the top then bottom back and forth until it is all the way in. It is a pain but it does go in in less than 3minutes... Then just slide the vent over 2 inches to the right and tighten the small bolt.... Install the cover and u r done.

#38 ·
Hey guys - I'm at 20k miles and time to replace this filter. I have tried in vain to come up with a part number... not in the manual, nothing online @ Ford (that I was able to find). Purolator says it's C36174 which is not available.

Anybody have a PN for this replacement filter? Ford or aftermarket, I don't care.

Thanks.

#45 ·
Darn, that reminds me, I have to replace mine again... I'm at 41.5k miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.