Focus Fanatics Forum banner

DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread

1M views 4K replies 556 participants last post by  rczrider 
#1 ·
Well, I just scheduled an appointment on Monday to get my update for my 6-speed dual clutch. Seems like some dealers are willing to hand over the update (another poster on this board did), some dealers will still give the ole "its not a torque converter" mantra, and some dealers (the one I just called) don't know that there's a TSB out there, and when researched will come up with it. And the dealer I called fell into the latter (after I went to another dealer who gave me the mantra).

I'm happy with my DCT but I'm willing to see what this new update does for the transmission (in terms of smoothness and less hesitation). Hopefully, I'll have some noticeable difference. Did anyone else get an update? If so, how'd it work out for you. I'll let you know my thoughts after a good drive on Monday.

#1,975 ·
Smoke and mirrors.... If you want , you can PM me your VIN and contact info and I will let our awesome CSM team at Ford US or Canada depending on where you reside look into the matter. Pretty sure that's how it is said but I didn't feel like copy and paste today [facepalm] . Hope that assisted you today and made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside [8D] .

#1,976 ·
question....
i've long been familiar with the "shudder" feeling that appears to come from the DCT, but i had never experienced the grinding that has been mentioned...until today (i think)

how loud is the "grinding" that everyone here experiences? today i was driving slowly through a large parking lot with my windows down and radio off (something i rarely do), and i was able to hear a noticeable grinding from the front during gear changes. however, this is something i could only hear under these particular conditions. i couldn't hear it if there was any interfering noises.

is this what everyone else is experiences with regard to the grinding sound, or is it louder for you?

#1,977 ·
My car makes a noise a bit like a vibraslap when it shifts into even-numbered gears.

The noise is not particularly loud or troublesome to me, as it usually can't be heard over road/engine noise. But the vibration that accompanies it is HORRIBLE. This vibration has been present on gears 2, 4, and 6 ever since the clutch was replaced.

Occasionally, I'll be driving around 30-35 MPH and apply a bit of throttle and the car will downshift to 4th gear and vibrate like mad.

And if I'm going 50-55 MPH and step on the gas, I can feel the vibration briefly before the car downshifts down to 5th gear. The 5th gear clutch does not vibrate, so the vibration immediately disappears when it downshifts.

But if I put the car in 4th or 6th gear using selectshift and coast down to about 1800 RPM and then step on the accelerator, there is a pronounced vibration. Under full throttle acceleration in 6th gear at 55 MPH it feels like driving on a washboard road, even if it's actually smooth as glass. By the time you get to 60 MPH it subsides a bit. And once you remove the high torque load from the clutch, it stops vibrating completely.

#1,978 ·
Spot on what my clutch does - except my vibrations are most noticeable in 2nd gear accelerating out of a turn. I had pretty bad 4th gear vibrations a few months ago - they subsided, but they're still there.

#1,979 ·
So the dealership I've taken my car to a couple of times before FINALLY agreed with me that something is wrong with the transmission. Apparently they're replacing the clutch, which worries me somewhat since there was that TSB that essentially said a replacement won't necessarily fix the grinding noise.

Luckily, my regional CSM is supposed to call tomorrow to follow up, so I can explain to her how amazing it feels to be ignored for a year only for them to finally admit something is wrong.

#1,980 ·
Interesting article on the super expensive Audi S7. My guess is dual clutch transmission are not ready for prime time ... yet.

DIGITAL EDITOR ANDREW STOY: Beautiful to look at and sit in, the 2013 Audi S7 nevertheless left me with mixed feelings, much as it’s kissin’ cousin the S6 did. There’s nothing wrong with the handling feel or chassis dynamics; the engine is magnificent, capable of hurling one like a sixth grader’s spitball, but the dual-clutch automatic exhibits enough weird behaviors to spoil much of the fun

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130617/carreviews/130619887#ixzz2WUubygIq
Follow us: @AutoweekUSA on Twitter | AutoweekUSA on Facebook

#1,981 ·
LOL. Seems familiar doesn't it?

"But it’s not really that per se, it’s that the feeling is intermittent. Sometimes the car will cruise away smoothly from lights. Sometimes there’s a hesitation as if one is slipping the clutch on a manual transmission car. The whole experience is just weird. It seems the less you boot the better it is, but again, sometimes it just acts up. Trying the various setting didn’t seem to help. The transmission’s intermittent weirdness continued throughout the weekend."

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk.

#1,983 ·
I've been reading through the posts in this thread. I just bought a 2012 Ford Focus. I was not told about this transmission at all. My car was experiencing the shuddering at stop lights, jerking, and lurching. I took it back to the dealer twice before they finally told me about the tsb. They did the tsb and it drives better, but is still scary to drive. I was pulling out of a parking lot the other night when there was a loud grinding noise the car jerked then lunged forward. My car looks nice, but looks ain't everything.

#1,984 ·
Regarding the DCT update. Here is what my dealer had to say.

11-10-2 is no longer a valid bulletin, it has been superseded by 12-5-5, which now only applies to manual transmissions; the reason for this is Ford issued a recall , 12B37, which addressed 11-10-2 auto transmissions, so they made 11-10-2 obsolete.

Hope this helps.

#1,986 ·
I just talked to my dealer yesterday there were two updates, but they are older. He said Ford knows about the problems some people are having with their Focus's and he is sure they will come out with updates in the future. There is nothing new at this time. He told me to check back with him each time I come in for a service to see if there are updates.

#1,994 ·
Don't forget about the 1st gear (traction control?) shudder before it even grinds into second. And lots of rattles. Headliner, passenger seat, doors, etc.

#1,997 ·
Ah yes, the rattles. I wonder if the grinding transmission is resonating the sheet metal and causing the headliner and other parts of the car to come loose and rattle? We could definitely add that to the sim!

These forums don't display code too well (indents), so it will get messy in a hurry without some structure. I might need to use Visio or something and create an image file.

@oritpro are you going to try to present this to Ford... or you are just messing around, as I suspect? >;-)
A little of both.

#1,998 ·
There's a [ code] tag!

Here's my take on the main loop:

Code:
select case (throttle.pedal.position)
{
    case < 80%
       do.nothing
    case = 80.015%
       wait 2 seconds
       downshift 1 gear
    case is > 80.015%
       wait (random) seconds
       shift.mode=greyhoundbus
       engine.mode=gas_is_cheap_right
       clutch.mode=selfdestruct
       wait (random) seconds
       downshift 2 gear
}
And adaptive learning:

Code:
if (driver gentle on throttle)
{
    upshift_schedule = waytooearly
    downshift_schedule = lolwhatdoesdownshiftmean
    shift.mode = incompetent
    power = moped
}
if (driver NOT(gentle on throttle))
{
   upshift_schedule = random
   downshift_schedule = random
   shift.mode = gas_is_cheap_right(so are tires)
   power = warp
}

#2,004 ·
Mine does the 'clutch chatter' (reminds me of my manual tranny Jeep after it's sat for a couple days in damp weather and develops a little rust on the pressure plate), the sometimes ill-timed downshifts (I've learned to anticipate when power will be needed and get on it a bit early), and the (once in awhile) step-on-the-gas-and-nobody-is-home thing.
Never had such a love-hate relationship with a car in all my life.
Moon

#2,005 ·
I too had the problem. Ford cleaned up the trans and replaced seals. Ran like a real car for 3 months and then noise started again. Dealer said they were contacting Ford and were going to replace trans. Heard nothing more. They will not return calls. Changed service writers.

I think the tow required idea is the only way. Ford has to know they have a serious problem and refuse to handle it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#2,018 ·
its the part of your posts that said ran like a real car for thre months then it started again is why I gave up and traded it in for a Mazda 3, which I really like.

I know the ford reps here and at facebooks ford focus page absolutely would have helped me get a rebuild but in my opinion, its a faulty design and just like yours, the problem would return.

The ford reps here and at facebook are great but in my opinion, this is a faulty design.

#2,006 ·
Well, I dropped the car off last week on Thursday. The service manager called me last night and said his transmission guy should finally be able to take a look at it today.

I really hope it acts up when he test drives it. Otherwise I don't know how to show them that it drives much worse after it warms up when it takes 5 days for them to get it into the shop to check it out... I hope I don't have to use a personal day.

#2,012 ·
Hi everyone!

If you need any assistance, remember that I'm here to do what I can to help. Send me your information in a PM so I can check out options; I'll need your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name to get started.

Crystal

#2,029 ·
Morning Crystal, There are at least two people looking for transmission help at the ford focus facebook page, I contacted Eric but he said he was tied up.

#2,013 · (Edited)
bad design in the Ford version, in my opinion

I just gave up on my shuddering, shaking indecisive dual clutch transmission on my 2012 focus. The ford memo is garbage wherein they say all these symptoms are normal. Ask any VW GTI owner, same type transmission, no such problems.

The mazda 3 skyactive engine and tranny are great, nice smooth shifts and down shifts, same great mileage-38, solid firm sporty suspension, solid feel to entire car.

you can read hundreds of consumer reviews on the mazda 3 and in saw one complaint about engine and/or transmission.

whereas, sadly, you can read hundreds of focus transmission complaints here and also at edmunds.com and also at lemon law blog. not to mention focus owners are vocing their complaints

http://www.lemonlaw.com/wordpress/fo...ssion-problem/

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f7ced/

plus goto any car web site like cars.com, choose a 2012-2013 focus then click into customer reviews

try any dealer website, customer reviews.

I respect and admire the ford customer reps here and at the ford focus facebook page, they are sincerely trying to help.

but this is a recall waiting to happen (in my opinion) that sometimes even requires tearing apart the transmission.

try the mazda 3, you'll never regret it.

#2,015 ·
slybar, this CAN be fixed, see post #73 on the thread titled 2013 titanium transmission noise (grinding) , which says: Had my 15k maintenance yesterday, again.. complained about the low speed / gear chatter and the ford rep just lost it and signed me up to have an engine / transmission pull apart, new clutch pack assembly, new engine and trans seals, the works.

He said I was not the only one to complain, and he's tired of giving people the run around. He said almost 9-10 focus trade-in's get this treatment only because they KNOW the probability of something failing is too high.

Im glad to see even they're getting tired of this nonsense.

Try different dealerships, guys... I was just lucky to find someone who is getting fed up.

Slybar, seek out Crystal, the ford rep here at this board, in my opinion she and the reps at the facebook ford focus page are sincerely trying to help focus owners get their cases escalated.

#2,017 ·
slybar, that is my opinion as well and that is why I gave up and bought a mazda 3. I firmly believe that the ford reps here or at facebook would have gotten my transmission torn apart and fixed, but that would not have helped in the long run.

I have high respect for Crystal, Eric and Meagan, having seen them escalate countless cases here and at Facebook.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.