Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Strange front end high/low wobble/humming sound

70K views 154 replies 19 participants last post by  Kevin_agar 
#1 ·
We have a hypnotic wobble/humming sound, like running over interrupted road warning groves or the side of interstate roads, we hear between 55 and 70 MPH from the driver's front side of the car. Over 70 and under 55 MPH it disappears. It does not vary with road surfaces. It is not the tires. Ford replaced the front left wheel bearing to no avail. Ford cannot find the cause but keeps saying they are working on it. This noise has been reported and documented by the dealer to Ford in early August one month after the purchase of our Focus. As of today, Ford still has not responded with a solution. See Ford OASIS SSM 21985 which says to monitor OASIS for further updates.

We first noticed this noise when the MTS crashed and would not let us listen to the radio. Now it is very distinct, so much so it can be heard with the radio on. My wife is very apprehensive about the noise as it is constant at the speeds she drives. [bawling]

Has anyone else had or noticed this problem? Was it reported and solved and if so how?

#128 ·
Sorry man, really don't know what to tell you besides to pursue a legal course of action if Ford isn't trying to repair your car. The noise my car makes is clearly audible, and sounds like running over the hazard lines on the side of the highway. It isn't nearly that loud, but is audible enough to cause drowsiness, annoyance, and irritation.

Dropped my Focus off for the 6th and final time today for the final repair. The FSE should be by at 8 am tomorrow morning to look at it. Just for shits and giggles, I asked for a Hyundai Sonata at Enterprise as my loaner. Not sure what Beepster (banned) saw in the Hyundais, but glad it made him happy. I personally find the Sonata to be lacking proper sound insulation. It's louder than my 2005 econobox Focus on normal streets at slower speeds of about 40 mph. It certainly gets up and goes, but I miss my Focus. Why oh why did I have to get the lemon of the bunch? [bigcry]

#129 ·
The FSE has been looking at the car all day. He has ordered a new power steering gearbox that will be installed on the car tomorrow to address the one time that the power steering failed on me. They will take care of that passenger side windshield wiper recall while its in. Still no word back yet about the vibration on the car.

While I'm here, I might as well post all of the new parts put on the car to date. I never got an invoice from my previous visit, so I asked for one yesterday. This one is the most informative by far...

CONCERN: Customer states humming noise at 50-60 mph/ Install SOP Wheel Bearings ship by FSE (name redacted by me[thumb]). Wheel bearings, intermediate shaft bearing, tires installed LF and RF wheel bearings sent by Ford. Noise is still present at this time. Installed RF halfshaft and bearing assembly torqued bearing strap nuts at 18 ft lb. Torqued lower control arm pinch bolts to 61 ft lb. And torqued halfshaft nuts to 59 ft lb plus 90 degrees. Concern is still present. Replaced rear tires faith known good tires OK at this time

Part Number, Description, Quantity
FMC CV6Z 1215 A, Bearing ASY- Wheel, 2
FMC BV6Z 3B436 B, Shaft - Front Axle, 1
FMC YS4Z 3N324 AA, Retainer - Bearing, 1
FMC W715491 S442, Bolt, 4
SPO W520415 S442, Nut - Locking, 4
SPO W520415 S442, Nut, 4
SPO CV6Z 3B477 A, Retainer, 2
FMC YS4Z 3N324 AA, Retainer - Bearing, 1

CONCERN: Customer states power steering went out/ light came on/ customer restored and car steering was OK. Ran self test found code U3000:49 cleared code road tested OK at this time

#130 · (Edited)
The car has been in the shop since last Wednesday getting the power steering fixed. They've been waiting on some bolts to finish the power steering gearbox. As far as the vibration is concerned, THEY DIDN'T HEAR IT. The FSE didn't hear it, the service manager who has been on my side up until this point did not hear it. They didn't even attempt to fix the vibration again. I drove the car over two hundred miles with that vibration, and I know I'm not crazy.

What a joke. It's not my fault that my car is a lemon for Christ's sake, and I can't believe I'm being treated that way.

Wish me luck going forward, I'll let you all know what happens either way : )

#132 ·
Drive it for a few hundred miles and see if it comes back. Mine did, sounds just like it did before. My service dealer and the field service engineer deny it, problem won't be acknowledged anymore.

Lemon law arbitration hearing is set for June 14th. Got all of my ducks in a row for it. I sincerely hope you had a bad tire, that way you don't spend 24 days in the shop with a car that the manufacturer no longer wants to fix for you under the bumper to bumper warranty.... Only advice I can give you is to keep your paperwork up to date just in case Ford sends you up shit's creek. Your documentation will be your only paddle.

#135 ·
Good luck with your arbitration. I experienced the same frustration in dealing with FORD on my wife's Focus. So much so, that I bought a 2012 Prius for my car and have not had 1 (one) problem arise with it. The quality is there, way above FORDS. Says a lot doesn't it?

I bought a FORD because they did not take any government loans, now I understand why. They cheapened their vehicles.

No more FORDS for us!

#136 ·
Help! My focus is too noisy!!!

It Sounds like this is a common issue in the focus model. I just googled humming noise while driving and the whole page was full of links to different websites all with "ford focus" being the car.
Have they ever pinpointed the cause of this problem? I bought my car used from ford dealership in 2005 and within a couple months had one tire practically fall off. In the 7 years since i have had to replace the rear suspension, the clutch, transmission, rear window pulley, ignition system (which i was told is a common problem in focus models), several batteries (I swear my car eats them) and more... Way too much stuff in my opinion. I used to think Ford made a good car and my whole family drives Fords but now I'm not sure if i'll buy another one. I just had all my tires replaced and have noticed that now whenever I drive around 60mph the noise becomes almost unbearably loud in the cab. Have checked tire pressure and its not the problem. Without having to pay an exorbant amount is there a fix?
Thanks

#137 ·
Hi MrsHeather,

In my opinion, get an inspection done on your car by a trusted mechanic. I just finished my arbitration hearing for my 2012 Focus, and I should know the arbitrator's decision within 3 business days on whether or not Ford needs to award me a new vehicle. Since Ford would no longer acknowledge the problem present with my car, I spent $50 at a local mechanic just to have them see if they could make a diagnosis. We'll see if its the best $50 I've ever spent or not come next week.

Anyway, we're fairly sure the alignment is off on my car, but we can't know for sure. And by we, I mean myself and the independent mechanic. Ford 100% refuses to service the car for this problem, even though the car is only 6 months into its 36 month 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. The "toe" value (or the amount the wheel is turned sideways as opposed to traveling straight down the road) for the rear tire is 0.38 degrees. The rear left tire's toe value is 0.03 degrees. The rear right tire is 10 x more crooked than the rear left tire, likely causing it to ride sideways down the highway, wearing out the tire abnormally, causing the vibration that I have present on two new sets of rear tires. The mechanic told me the rear tires are in the early stages of "cupping", where little scoops of tire are wearing out and will be missing given more wear and tear. He speculated that my tires in the rear will be shot with visible cupping in the next 10,000 miles. However, the mechanic doesn't have any alignment specification standards for my car as it is a 2012. We can't be 100% sure if the alignment does not match the designed values. I mean, an independent mechanic doesn't need to buy 2012 specifications for vehicles as they should be getting their service by the dealer under warranty....

I'll let you all know what happens. For those dealing with new vehicles and if you need any help with Lemon Law stuff, please don't hesitate to contact me. I can't discuss exactly what happens at today's hearing but I'll be happy to point you in the right direction [:)]

#138 ·
I haven't posted for a long time but for good reason. I've been keeping a very low profile. After losing the manufacturer-sponsored BBB Autoline arbitration hearing (which is a damned joke if you ask me), I hired an attorney. Having legal representation certainly wasn't cheap, but it was the best decision I've ever made regarding my Focus. LONG story short, the vibration was magically heard again at the pre-hearing inspection, Ford settled with me, and as of today the car is gone. [drinking]

Good riddance. I just sent Ford's CEO a letter over this whole debacle. I'm back in the market for a car, and how in the world could I ever think to buy a Ford ever again? Ford has lost a diehard loyal fan for life. [thumbd]

#140 ·
No, the service dealer and the Ford Field Service Engineer (along with all of the minds up at the Michigan Focus Group) couldn't find the cause. They ended up buying my car back when I hired legal representation for my hearing before the Florida New Motor Vehicle Arbitration Board.

All of the above parts that they installed, along with the new tires and 4 wheel computer alignment paid for out of my pocket when Ford started ignoring the problem did nothing to alleviate the issue.

If your service dealer wants to contact the one I was visiting, my service dealer was Ford of Clermont (352) 394-6161. Service Manager is Claude Nabel. I'm sure they'll remember my car seeing how I had to bring it back 7 times. Don't know if they will help much though considering they buttoned up and claimed my car was conformed to warranty when push came to shove.

EDIT: Just realized those were the parts for a single visit. Here's a quick summary of fixes they attempted for just the vibration issue I had:

Ford's attempts:
Rotated tires
Checked tire balance
Replaced 2 rear tires
Replaced front wheel bearings (TWICE)
Replaced the front right axle shaft
Replaced front right intermediate bearings

My attempts:
4 wheel computerized alignment
4 all new Yokohama tires

#141 ·
Sounds like a simple case of first-year blues. This provides a good case for waiting til 12 months after a model debuts to purchase one. I purchased mine new in August, had the wheel bearing issue within the first 2k miles, and it was fixed on the first attempt. While I have to say in all my years owning new VWs, Hondas and MBs, I've never had as many initial quality issues as I have on my first Ford, I will say that, Ruth, you'd probably be much happier if you'd made the purchase a year later, once sufficient numbers of complaints had come in to alert Ford to a supplier defect with the initial run of bearings.

#142 ·
Hi NCFocus12,

I'm glad to hear that your wheel bearing issue was taken care of. Please feel free to reach out to me via PM if you have any future concerns that I can assist with.

Thanks!
Crystal [:)]

#145 ·
I had to do the same thing.. hire an attorney. But your right, it was well worth it. I now drive a 2013 Mazda CX5 and absolutely love it. No issues in 5 Months of ownership. Great gas mileage, handling, no shudders,no suspension noises,and no interior creaking noises.......

#148 ·
Hi wkumtrider,

Have you swung by your dealership so they can take a look? Ford certified techs are going to be in the best position to diagnose. Additionally, I'm happy to get your case escalated to your regional Customer Service Manager; just sent me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and daytime contact number.

Thanks!
Crystal

#150 ·
Just to let you know, I don't think anybody has experienced a vibration through the steering wheel or the gas pedal for the wheel bearing issue. My vibration was felt through my feet placed flat on the floorboards. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure bad wheel bearings could cause a vibration through the steering wheel but most definitely take it to the dealer and have them look at it. Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork my friend. If you don't note the problem with a service dealer you never had a problem! [wrenchin]

In other news, just drove home with a brand new Mazda CX-5! [woot] Very roomy, great gas mileage, and glad it's not a Ford after that debacle. Zoom-zoom! [driving]

#152 ·
I have the same drone-like humming noise in my 2012 FF titanium hatchback and am sick and tired of visiting dealerships here in Canada numerous times for rattles, clunks, shudders and whines. Did Ford actually come out with a TSB for the 55MPH oscillating whine and did anyone finally get rid of the noise.... for good? Was it the bearings and was there a "new" bearing issued compared to the old originals. Any further information would be appreciated as in Canada we do not have lemon laws and we are at the mercy of the dealerships being told everything they must do or they do the wrong thing 10 times before it is fixed.... thanks in advance.
Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.