Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Does anyone Autox their sedan?

9K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  budpln 
#1 ·
just wondering how many people if any have autox their sedan or if it would even be competative? Just testing waters looking for feedback on and pros and cons using a zx4 over zx3/svt.

thanks.

#5 ·
Well is there that much of a weight difference between the two?

#6 ·
Yep, did it for a couple of seasons when I lived in Montana. Haven't been able to do it since then. In my region my ST was pretty competitive. However, when I raced against WD40 in his SVT, he crushed me. I would like to blame it on the shitty tires I had, but he was also just a much better driver than me. Also, focusedaddiction had a pretty heavily modified ZX3 and would beat most of the field.

Is this sedan your current car or are you looking to get a track only beater? If you're talking about your current vehicle, just go with it. The experience you gain will be invaluable. After that, you can figure out which cars are most competitive in their respective classes, and set a goal from there.

I never wen't to an auto-x event seeking to beat anybody other than myself (well, maybe focusedaddiction and twerpie1).

#7 ·
Thanks bud, yeah I'm not looking to go beat everyone just to have fun, I consider myself a decent driver, by no means pro or seasoned i'v dont some road racing in my old turbo 300zx at VIR and Summit Point but that gets expensive after a while and was thinking of just making this car a weekend warrior, race on sunday drive to work on monday sort of thing. And if something breaks i'm not 250 miles from home. :)

#8 ·
I fully plan on autocrossing my sedan this year. I x'd the mustang last year and did extremely well for a beginner. FWD is going to pwn me the first few times I'm sure but once i get the hang of it I expect my little sedan to do quite well.

#9 ·
I'm in the same boat with you on the FWD thing, definitly going to be a new learning experience! I'm confident in the car myself but the factory brakes suck.

#11 ·
yeah i'm seriously thinking of putting some EBC pads, is this a big no no for stock class or the next class up from stock?

#12 ·
It varies region to region...

My local scca is pretty lax about vehicle classes. Last year I ran my Mustang in GS but it was definitely not eligible. (Neither were some of the other GS cars haha)

#14 · (Edited)
http://tsscc.org/2005/images/event5_fin.htm

If you look at the STS results you'll see me. If you look at the PRO results, you'll see (Former National Champion) Jason Frank about 2.8 seconds faster in a SpecCivic.

My Focus was daily driven on H&R race springs and Konis and only had 6.5" wide wheels...not even close to a full-on ST build.

Was also the fastest street-tire car, and 4th overall at at a National Focus meet in South Bend in 2005 (sponsored by a different Focus web forum). Sedans do just fine.

#16 ·
I AutoX my sedan and the only change I made to it was and intake and SVT shocks and springs. I am fairly competetive considering the low powered engine. This thread made me wonder though. Is there some reason that the hatchback is better for AutoX? It seems like it wouldn't make any difference.

#17 ·
you'll do just fine in a sedan, my wife.TWERPIE1 runs her wagon in st then FSP and does pretty good. A lot has to do with driver and car set up...tire pressures & what not. and LOTS of PRACTICE just have a great time, you will get faster with experience[thumb]

#19 ·
I do pretty well in my wagon. I'm now in SMF since I took out the back seat. The wagon has a nice balance but I've also got springs,shocks, a custom tune by Tom, a short ram, headers, 3inch exhaust and hawk HPS pads.

#20 ·
I want to run my sedan this year to get a feel for it. I want to run the stock class so Im not putting a bunch of money into the car. I will probably suck because even though I like to pretend I am a race car driver, I am really not haha

#21 ·
Forgot about this thread.

I did get a chance to autox my sedan while it was stock

I just installed FRPP springs and shocks so I'm looking for a second attempt soon to see how well this has improved the car's abilities on the stock tires.

#23 ·
My goal is to upgrade to some Ecsta 4x's after these Kumho Solus are completely shredded.

The solus isn't really TOO terrible at low speed, the sidewall is pretty stiff and they respond well.... the grip just isn't there though.

#24 ·
He can't run HS anyway, he got a new suspension. (springs)
For the same price a better tire can be had.. i don't think there is much of a difference in price for some Dunlop Star Specs or even Hankook RS3's both of which are far superior. most of the same sizes as well.

#26 ·
i auto xed my 08 sedan lol at the time i had cai and sportlines had a blast and didnt do to bad!! i was talking to a kid in a Volkswagen coupe i forget what exactly it was but i was beating him i am a truck driver so i kinda have an advantage i have alot of good instincts because i drive everyday. i started rubbing it in a bit and he started pounding his car to keep up with me. once he started pounding his car he was beating me... but this year i want to get into it..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.