Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus

888K views 2K replies 468 participants last post by  PrDawg 
#1 ·
Well purchased my brand new 2012 Ford Focus on May 21, 2011. My vehicle had to be ordered and was delivered to me on May 24th. Upon driving it, I found that when I would come to a stop and push the gas to go, it would sputter and hesitate. I have been dealing with it for over 2 weeks and decided to contact my dealership.

I took the vehicle to the shop on June 3rd. The tech drove with me and felt exactly what I was talking about. He stated that he had to put it on the computer. Within 30 minutes, he came out with a piece of paper stating 2012 Focus automatic transmission shudder. Some 2012 focus vehicles equipped with the powershift/DPS6 transmission may experience a shudder/shake on start up or when slowing to a stop. This condition does not cause durability or reliably concerns and will deminish as the clutch breaks in. "IF CUSTOMERS COMPLAIN OF THIS ISSUE, PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR THE VEHICLE AND SHARE THIS SERVICE MESSAGE WITH THE CUSTOMER.

My question was, how long does this go on and when will it stop? No on could answer. Has anyone else felt this issue? I could not find any post on this prior to me putting this up. I stated I do not feel safe in the vehicle. The car at times when I pull out on the road feels just like it will stall out. After sending an email to the VP of the dealership, I was contacted by the service manager. He stated that he is working on getting an answer from Ford.. At the time of service there were 781 miles on my car. Today there are 1291 and still nothing has changed. I am awaiting a reply and will move forward if I don't like the answer.[bigcry]

Also, yesterday while driving, my shoe lace got caught on brake peddle. Has anyone else ever gotten stuck on the brake peddle? Just curious. It freaked me out.

See less See more
#1,486 ·
post 1455

In post 1455 I ask a mod to tell what I should have done different to get ford to fix my car after numerous attempts with nothing getting fixed....ford customer servive is just a service to shut us up and hope we go away and the ford warranty is a waste of time......the way to get something done is to hire an attorney threaten a lawsuit then it seems ford will do somthing......what a shame to have to do busniess like that ...so nevermind an answer.....B-lou

#1,488 ·
Hey everyone,

Just a reminder that I'm the new representative for Ford Customer Service on the board. Please keep in mind that I can lend a hand by escalating to the Customer Service Managers for your area. For those who haven't already, please send me a PM with your VIN, contact information, mileage (estimates are ok) and your preferred servicing dealer.

For my friends in Canada, I recommend calling the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center at 800.565.3673 for further assistance.

Have a great weekend,
-Crystal [giddy]

#1,489 ·
I know no one wants to ever threaten anything especially dealing with legal stuff. We just wanted fare and safe and if a ford machanic will not put his own family in it why would I... That goes for any of us I'm sure. Most of us don't have 25,000 in the bank so when I spend that much I expect the most out of my car and the ppl that make it

#1,490 ·
B-lou, although you were ganged up on earlier, the moderators are trying their best. Let's just keep this thread productive [:)]

I feel that this thread is here for those who actively need help. I could write a book on how badly Ford handled my case and share it again and again here, but I already posted my horror story once in another thread. No need to keep bringing it up. Let's you and me help some people when they need it [thumb]

#1,492 ·
only way

B-lou, although you were ganged up on earlier, the moderators are trying their best. Let's just keep this thread productive [:)]

I feel that this thread is here for those who actively need help. I could write a book on how badly Ford handled my case and share it again and again here, but I already posted my horror story once in another thread. No need to keep bringing it up. Let's you and me help some people when they need it [thumb][/QUOTE
I am trying to keep this thread positive to help people that are in the same situation I was and so far the only positive outcome was someone hiring an attorney and threating a lawsuit so I do not know any other good advice to give anyone......B-lou

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#1,494 ·
OK guys..... still completely off topic. Sonic I love the car but it's not the place to prove a point.

Lou, we appreciate the input. Sorry you had to go as far as lawyering up but that should not have to be the first solution for everyone.

#1,499 ·
lawyer up

Mike ...you are mistaken I did not "lawyerup" I just took my lumps and traded it ....all I was doing was quoting a person on here that discovered that the only way she could get her car fixed was to hire a lawyer.....and I have been told once again that I have nothing positive to add to this thread and if I keep posting will be deleted....I think I have been doing people a service by telling them to lawyerup right off instead of going thru all of fords BS and nothing getting done but wasting time.....B-lou

#1,497 ·
Sorry B-lou, but, just to be straight here I have never encountered any problem whatsoever with Ford or associated service managers.
When I first purchased my Focus I had issues with the transmission. The problem was looked into and rectified to my satisfaction.
My dealer, All American Ford, is a highly respected organization.

#1,500 ·
While I don't discount the fact that there are some bad egg dealers/service departments, as my father had a horrible experience with one, does that mean we should "throw the baby out with the bath water"? NO. Take your business elsewhere. Never buy from that dealer and tell your friends not to as well. But don't blame bad service on the car. That's right along the same lines as the gun killed the dude, not the dirtbag holding it. Doesn't make any sense.

Do all cars have issues, YES. Anyone remember Toyota gas pedal/floor mats? Or dodge's reoccurring transmition issues? Or small interior pieces on chevy's just falling off? Or the right tail light on the Prius constantly going out? The list goes on and on.

While I am empathetic with the issues a fringe group of people are experiencing, and I dont doubt (most of) their legitimacy; does that mean ALL Fords are going to go to the crapper? NO.

You may notice, the people who are making the most noise(b-Lou and the like) have only posted a hand full of times, and have been members of this forum for a short time. While the people who are not having issues and love their Focus', people who you might consider "fanatics" have been on this forum for years and have hundreds even thousands of posts.

If you don't like your Ford, sell it, if you havnt already. And don't look back. Don't treat people like idiots who can't do their own research and figure out for themselves if they want to buy a focus.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Let's leave it at that.

#1,501 ·
Well said, bravo! When I picked up my new Focus I almost immediately experienced a problem with my transmission. It was a visit to this forum that where I learned of all the nuances associated with the DCT. When I took my car in I was fully equipped to explain my problems with the service manager who had my car's system reflashed and solved my problem.
Now when I visit this forum all I read are gripes and attacks from those who apparently can not revolve their issues.
What they expect to achieve by doing this is beyond me.

#1,503 ·
I guess you didn't read about the problems my car had/has. That, and how I handled/am handling it. I routinely post and relay my information to members of the community.

That is how it's relevant[thumb]

Sent from my stupid phone, please dismiss my illiteracy[facepalm]

#1,504 ·
dyn085,

Have you ever bought any other first year model cars and had quirks with them? I too learned a lesson by purchasing a 1st model year '12 Focus and luckily had it bought back, and I don't want to screw myself over again.

The reason I ask is because I'm looking at the 2013 Mazda CX-5 (a first year model car) and I don't want to repeat the same mistake. My gut is telling me to go with another car like a Kia Optima or Hyundai Sonata which are going into their 3rd year with their current designs.

Slightly off topic I know, but the thread continues to derail and I hope this will bring it back. Short thoughts from anybody else would be greatly appreciated too! [wiggle]

#1,506 ·
I had an '02 ZX3 that had to get a new transmission, but this is the first first-model-year car I've had. I've nevet spent so much time back at the service dept with 5 other new cars. I swore I would never own a first year, but I needed a swap before summer.

Personally, I would advise against any first model year...and this will be my last first model year car.

#1,505 ·
B-lou... It's not if you start a situation it's how you ultimately handle and finish the situation that counts...

I have issues with my Focus as well... I have the clunk, TSB applied last week, still clunks... I will be fixing next spring with coilovers. I had problems with my Typhoon intake initially, because of Ford's poor MAF housing design. I fixed it and now love the thing.

#1,510 ·
Has anyone else experienced sudden, near total electrical failure, including loss of instruments, and accompanied by the loss of:
-Turn signals
-Brake lights & headlamps
-Horn, etc?
Radio was functioning, though the display was dim. The main display read "Put Transmission in Park" (or something to that effect).
This occurred while driving "normally," and during the day. Had it occurred at night, consequences could have been very serious.
Dealer, after 2.5 days of repairs, replaced a body control module. Have not experienced recurrence after two days.
Please reply if you've had a similar experience. Thanks.

#1,517 ·
I've had issues with my heated seats that hasn't been resolved currently. Dealer claims normal operation even though the service documents made no differential note in the manual to repair them about cloth vs leather temperature differential. It's frustrating that the hot line said otherwise, but the dealer also asked about a two year old F150 so idk. The ford service hot line claims surface measurements are invalid despite the focus workshop manual gives both resistance and temperature specifications. No issues with the dct so far though.

#1,524 ·
Except for the fact that he said 'hesitation', which is an ECU/induction system problem.

The attempted fixes, that have helped many, are to either reset your ECU by disconnecting the battery for 15 mins or replacing your OEM filter with a K&N drop-in.

One costs money and the other doesn't. Both have fixed many cars. I have personally put my filter in other members cars so they could try it first, but that only works for people local to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.