Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Removing OEM shift knob: How to

175K views 151 replies 55 participants last post by  Focused4Rally 
#1 ·
Tonight I decided to go ahead and take apart the shift knob/boot/trim on my Focus, to figure out the procedure. Searching forums showed lots of questions but no definite answers for taking everything apart, nor were there any for the thread pitch of the shift knob.

So, here's how it went:

First, remove the trim piece around the base of the shift boot. There are clips all around it, but the ones that really hold it down are located in three of the four corners (The corner missing one is the rearward passenger side, next to R). By gripping the trim piece through the boot, some firm tugs and pulls should see them pop out, one by one. I shifted through a few gears to reposition the shifter, giving the boot extra slack when needed so that I didn't stretch it. For undoing the knob, grip the top of the boot to prevent it from spinning and start unscrewing. It can take a fair bit of effort to get the knob to start turning.

When the whole assembly is out of the way, this is what's left:

This is everthing that came out, taken apart.

The boot clips to the underside of the trim. It's very easy to remove and clip back in - the boot itself is pretty much permanently mounted to the plastic base that allows it to clip in though. An aftermarket boot would probably have to be attached to this base (With the original boot cut out) if you're looking for a quality, OEM-looking install.

The shift knob is held to the boot via a clip that sandwiches the top of the boot between itself and the base of the knob.

Said clip sits here on the boot (Looking from the inside)..

..and the knob then pops in here.

After figuring out the removal and installation procedure, next was to measure the thread pitch. I'm brand new to Focuses, so I didn't know if it's be the same as previous generations or not. I measured it as 12 x 1.25.

So anyway, that's what I discovered in my trial tonight. Now that I know how, and the thread pitch, I can go pick a nice new shift knob for the Fofo. Hope this helps! [thumb]

See less See more
#5 ·
ihdillon: I assume you have it apart and can see the clip that sits under the boot, holding the knob in place? Note that there are four tabs which clip in place and secure the knob; using two small flathead screwdrivers (Read: model / R/C size), I worked them between the knob and two of the tabs, prying them open. A couple of good yanks and the knob popped out. The tabs are very stiff, so don't be surprised if you have to really work at them for a minute.

BetaDnB: A Blox knob is on my list now too. I'm waiting on a local shop to get the specific one I want in, so that I can go treat the Focus - I mean, myself - to a little gift.

#121 ·
#8 ·
Installed! My only issue was the front right clip. I couldn't get it to come out all the way. The retaining nut that came with the knob makes it a little taller, so the boot gets a bit tight, but I don't think tight enough to pull it out of gear. The remedy? Short shifter. HURRY UP STEEDA!

#10 ·
I've actually modified how I have my shift boot. I'll post a pic tomorrow. I have a feeling I'll be taking my knob off and keeping it with me in certain areas.

#14 ·
I don't think you're going to see much difference in this pic. I guess it really has to be seen in person, which I'm sure you'll see soon enough. I'm on the same level of chrome hate as you, but I absolutely love the way this looks in the car. As you can see I've removed the boot from the nut and tucked the edge back inside as if it were in the stock retaining clip. I like this look better than with the boot going to the knob.

#17 ·
As I recall, there were no fancy tricks, just push really hard. [thumb]

#21 ·
i just left mine loose.looks good. also my blox knob came with a retainer nut that i chose not to use as it adds too much height to the shifter.

#23 ·
But is the shift pattern on the knob straight? How do you like the finish btw? According to REDFOKUZ the Steed short shifter is about 1/4" shorter than stock. With this knob and retaining nut it would end up about stock height. Keep in mind short shifters have little to do with the height of the shifter. Mainly the length of the throw. I'll never forget the short throw shifter they had for Hondas where the top of the shifter sat level with about the middle of the steering wheel. The idea was the quicker you can get your hand to the shifter the quicker you can accelerate.

#25 ·
It looks like the front right corner of the shift bezel has a slight lift to it just like mine. Now I don't feel so bad about it.

#26 ·
Im going to see if there is anything that I can do to fix it, although it really doesn't bother me

#27 ·
I had a problem getting the clip out in that corner. I never even actually got it all the way out so I thought I might have done something trying to get it out. Let me know if you come up with something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.