Hmmm ... I didn't see a tongue or anything for a spring to mount. But I did look through my box of little springs, but unfortunately only had compression and tension types, no torsional.
Another productive day, mainly cleaning parts. But did install the new release bearing for the clutch, after cleaning up the inside of the bellhousing a bit. Also cleaned well the mating surface of the bellhousing, where the engine will bolt back up. Bleeding the release bearing will have to wait until the clutch is fully installed.
No more significant chunks of valve seat found, including in the EGR valve or its tube (took my biggest metric wrench, 27mm, to get it apart). Cleaned them out well. Also a major cleaning job on the intake manifold, oil pan, oil pickup, and windage tray. Exhaust manifold's gaskets scraped away. Throttle body cleaned, as well as various other pieces.
The windage tray was somewhat smashed by the piston chunks, so before cleaning, it underwent a gentle massaging with a hammer and an anvil.
Nice to have that shifter done, and the console and the trans' cable cover back on.