Originally Posted by jimmyt
cbaldree, please keep those of us that are in this thread apprised of your success with a resolution.
PS: I sent Natasha, with FORD, my info and never anything heard back. I have been calling Ford not the dealership about every two to three weeks, since early August, hoping for a resolution. The dealerships cannot do anything until FORD lets them know what to do. Still waiting......
Thank you for letting me know you sent the information. I will go check the email account for it now.