Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Strange front end high/low wobble/humming sound

70K views 154 replies 19 participants last post by  Kevin_agar 
#1 ·
We have a hypnotic wobble/humming sound, like running over interrupted road warning groves or the side of interstate roads, we hear between 55 and 70 MPH from the driver's front side of the car. Over 70 and under 55 MPH it disappears. It does not vary with road surfaces. It is not the tires. Ford replaced the front left wheel bearing to no avail. Ford cannot find the cause but keeps saying they are working on it. This noise has been reported and documented by the dealer to Ford in early August one month after the purchase of our Focus. As of today, Ford still has not responded with a solution. See Ford OASIS SSM 21985 which says to monitor OASIS for further updates.

We first noticed this noise when the MTS crashed and would not let us listen to the radio. Now it is very distinct, so much so it can be heard with the radio on. My wife is very apprehensive about the noise as it is constant at the speeds she drives. [bawling]

Has anyone else had or noticed this problem? Was it reported and solved and if so how?

#55 ·
I dropped my car off at the dealership last night for my appointment today. The car still hasn't been looked at because their service manager has been in a dealer meeting all day, so it's going to be held over night and looked at tomorrow.

That's the bad news. The good news was that Ford customer service called me to tell me that personally [thumb]

They're going to hook me up with a rental car tonight so I don't have to worry about my car being in the shop, multiple trips to drop it off, etc. They also informed me that if the dealer has trouble finding out what's wrong with the car, they have a support system available to them that will put them in touch with Ford (I'm guessing she was referring to Ford's OASIS system). I let her know that this is the whole reason I called/pm'd to file a complaint on the service dealer. On Monday, the service associate shoo'd me off and said live with it in the strongest terms. I knew they could do more and that they didn't fully use the resources available to them to help me out. As long as customer service keeps advocating for me to get my car fixed, I'm super happy!

Will report back again when I have more news. Can't help but cross my fingers though, the service manager still wants to test drive other cars to figure out my car's problem.... Oh well. Not going to worry about that now, lol.

#56 ·
Great, I am so happy for you. Be sure that they install the new part number bearings. Installing the old part numbers is a crap shoot that they will be good.

My wife was very apprehensive about driving our FOCUS as it was making this noise, which is audible over the normal volume of the radio and at the speeds, she commonly drives. I hope it is fixed on our car. Maybe they should hold a meeting at this dealership about the meaning and definition of customer service.

I got a call today that my car was not ready yet. I took it in Feb 7th. I am getting a little concerned too. I was told it might be ready tomorrow, which will be 6 working days in the shop. They did not have any rentals on the 7th so I got a ride home with the dealership driver and have been driving my 1998 Chevy S-10 pickup since. Not exactly what I thought I would be doing after we paid $26 K for our new FOCUS.

#57 ·
Got another call from Ford Customer Service. My service dealer found that other cars on the lot do not hum like mine (shocker), and that they are going to try to identify the problem. They said that they will call me back on Monday to update me on the progress. The service dealer is going to do a breakdown of some of the car components starting with the wheels and possibly the transmission [mecry]

Glad that they are servicing the car, but the thought of my Focus getting stripped down makes me sad. Can't wait to get my new car back, and I'm really glad I've got this rental. My service dealer is partnered with the local Enterprise Rent-A-Car, so I'm not driving a loaner but a hatchback Nissan Versa. Makes me miss my Focus that much more, lol! Alas, beggers cannot be choosers [thankyou]

#58 ·
I am pretty sure it is the wheel bearings. If you have an accident and did not take out the 'extra' insurance, the rental company will take the costs right off the top of your credit card until your insurance pays up. Even if an accident is not your fault, the same procedure will be followed. It cost me and extra $16.59 per day for coverage. I chose a high deductable $1,500.00 on my cars since they are all paid in full.

I am awaiting a call for the dealer to come pick me up.

#59 ·
I'm pretty sure its the wheel bearings too, but my service dealer won't listen to me at all. They'll do what Ford tells them to do but that's about it.

I'm not impressed at all with them, so I'm a bit worried hearing that they may possibly mess with the transmission. It clearly sounds like a wheel bearing problem, so I'm 100% hoping that Ford has them replace those before they pull apart my fancy transmission....[:0]

#62 ·
Congratulations, that's awesome!!! So glad you got the issue fixed, I hope I'll be seeing that light at the end of the tunnel come next Monday [8D]. Thanks for dropping a line with the part numbers that were used. I do believe I will have to use that info next week. Perhaps a call is in order to customer tomorrow. I don't want a transmission replaced over what is likely a simple bearing issue. I saw that drama too (Beepster, I believe). New axles, transmission, etc etc before they finally replaced the wheel bearings.

Thanks for the help, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't come back to this thread. Put this headache behind you and enjoy your quiet ride! [woot]

#63 ·
Update: The service dealer has determined that it is not the wheel bearings. They used the chassis ears on all four wheels and that was not the source of the hum. They still have not been able to identify the source. Ford's suggestion now is to replace some intermediate bearing. Since the shop normally doesn't have a part like that in stock, we play the waiting game.

#65 ·
Still no closer to a fix...

Ford Customer Service called again today to give me an update. They are still no closer to determining the source of the car's hum. She briefly explained how they use chassis ears to diagnose the source of a hum and that they are continuing to look for the source. She'll get back to me on Wednesday.

The service manager from the service dealer also gave me a call today. That was fairly disheartening. He told me that they have used the chassis ears on every part they can think of to find the hum and can't find where it's coming from. The first thing they tried was the wheel bearings, then the intermediate assembly, intermediate bearings, top bottom and sides of the transmission, motor and transmission mounts, and even the car's floorboards (because you can feel the hum through the floorboards as well as hear it). He said that they continue to call the Ford hotline for help, and that he has so far described my issue to no less than 4 different technicians. As we can all imagine, it's very hard to describe a humming noise over a telephone.

He said that the next course of action will involve a Ford Field Service Tech stopping by to drive the car and hear the hum for himself. This is why he drove my car and compared it to another car on the lot that does not hum. This is what the Field Service Tech will have to do to see that there is actually a strange issue with my car. He may or may not get the Field Service guy to stop by tomorrow depending on the Field guy's schedule, and he'll call me back tomorrow about it (Tuesday). He estimates that they would need the car in the shop a minimum of 3 days should that tech be able to stop by and help diagnose the problem....

This sucks. The question I can't help but ask is, what happens if they can't find the source? I love my car to death but I can't live with a car that sings a crappy tune to me when I drive between 45 and 60 mph [mecry] Still have my fingers crossed, I just want it fixed!

#66 ·
Ford Customer Service called again today to give me an update. They are still no closer to determining the source of the car's hum. She briefly explained how they use chassis ears to diagnose the source of a hum and that they are continuing to look for the source. She'll get back to me on Wednesday.

The service manager from the service dealer also gave me a call today. That was fairly disheartening. He told me that they have used the chassis ears on every part they can think of to find the hum and can't find where it's coming from. The first thing they tried was the wheel bearings, then the intermediate assembly, intermediate bearings, top bottom and sides of the transmission, motor and transmission mounts, and even the car's floorboards (because you can feel the hum through the floorboards as well as hear it). He said that they continue to call the Ford hotline for help, and that he has so far described my issue to no less than 4 different technicians. As we can all imagine, it's very hard to describe a humming noise over a telephone.

He said that the next course of action will involve a Ford Field Service Tech stopping by to drive the car and hear the hum for himself. This is why he drove my car and compared it to another car on the lot that does not hum. This is what the Field Service Tech will have to do to see that there is actually a strange issue with my car. He may or may not get the Field Service guy to stop by tomorrow depending on the Field guy's schedule, and he'll call me back tomorrow about it (Tuesday). He estimates that they would need the car in the shop a minimum of 3 days should that tech be able to stop by and help diagnose the problem....

This sucks. The question I can't help but ask is, what happens if they can't find the source? I love my car to death but I can't live with a car that sings a crappy tune to me when I drive between 45 and 60 mph [mecry] Still have my fingers crossed, I just want it fixed!
I don't know what to say other than I was treated in almost the same way. They said they could not find the cause of the noise using the chassis ears during my first complaint last August, but the dealer could hear and feel the vibrations within almost the same MPH as you. I told them I had to drive under a dangerous 50 or speed over 70 on the interstate for the noise to go away. Anyway, Ford has fixed the problem with my car making the repairs as I have posted. I bet that is what will take care the problem with your car as it has with several others posting here. Keep after the dealer and FORD CS, every day if you have to. The dealer even offered to trade me out of the car but I would not go along with any loss to me for FORD's poor workmanship or lack of quality control of their vendors product, so that did not work out. After all a 28K list car should be better than that.

Best suggestion, document everything. I truly wish you good luck with getting the problem fixed. [scratch]

#68 ·
Likely my last post for a little while, I'll explain why.

Currently at the Service Dealer right now using their public WiFi. The service manager spent 40 minutes on the phone today with the Ford hotline discussing my car. Ford had wanted to settle on using the classic "these new DCT transmissions make different noises than normal transmissions" excuse, and nothing can be done to fix that. I would have gone up in a ball of flame and died had I heard that was the official solution.... The service manager said that's not going to work for this customer and the supervisor on the Ford hotline escalated the issue.

So, they are going to have a Ford field service engineer drive it next week and figure out where to go from here. He can't make it this week to find a solution. I'm picking up my car right now, just waiting for the service manager to finish up the paperwork. I'll be back when I find out when the FSE will be by service dealer!

#69 ·
Enough transmissions have been replaced and did not fix the problem. I would not let them do that to me unless when it did not work FORD gives me a brand new car with all the same options colors etc. with no additional obligation. Of course, they would not make that promise. My transmission is so quiet it is weird. Escalating the issue was the right thing to do. Keep on Ford and the problem will be admitted and fixed. I repeat, keep on Ford and the problem will be admitted and fixed. Sounds like you SM is on your side, however he cannot take any actions that Ford will not pay the dealer to have done.

#70 ·
The SM does not want to touch the transmission thankfully. Ford was just using that excuse to blow me off, saying that the noise is likely the transmission operating normally, lol. If that were the case, every car on the f'in lot would hum (which is what the SM told Ford). That's what got the issue escalated.

Cool that you brought up your tranny though, my transmission shifts beautifully just like yours. It never really shuddered during the break in period and it is super quiet. As much as I love the car I wouldn't take it back if it got a new transmission.

I did ask the service dealer a good question today though. He was saying that the chassis ears have been inconclusive to date on trying to find or isolate the noise, especially on the wheel bearings. I asked him, well, since the vibration and hum is such occurring at such a low frequency, are the chassis ears even designed to detect a noise/vibration of that frequency? The frequency of the hum is so low it would likely take a subwoofer to replicate it. He responded that he honestly didn't know and wanted to ask the Field Service Engineer the same question.

I'll likely call them back a week from now if I haven't heard back from the SM by then. Till then, I'm excited to be able to drive my car again even if it does hum/vibrate [wiggle]

#71 ·
He was saying that the chassis ears have been inconclusive to date on trying to find or isolate the noise, especially on the wheel bearings. I asked him, well, since the vibration and hum is such occurring at such a low frequency, are the chassis ears even designed to detect a noise/vibration of that frequency? The frequency of the hum is so low it would likely take a subwoofer to replicate it. He responded that he honestly didn't know and wanted to ask the Field Service Engineer the same question.
You know, that may actually be the problem. Hate to quote myself, but I just had an epiphany. I've never seen or used chassis ears, but it sounded like a technician uses them with a pair of earphones. The frequency of the hum is so low I don't think earphones would be able to reproduce a sound of that frequency even if the microphone was able to detect it..... [facepalm] I think a subwoofer would be needed, or a very very nice pair of earphones.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong: If the chassis ears were detecting said low frequency vibration, you wouldn't even know it was detecting it because earphones couldn't reproduce that sound. Voila, can't detect the hum?

#74 ·
Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Technical Chat
Strange front end high/low wobble/humming sound
Welcome, jimmyt.
You last visited: Today at 04:21 PM
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 7.

User CP FAQ Community Calendar New Posts How-To Archive Search Quick Links Log Out

Ford Focus Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Community Links
Social Groups
Pictures & Albums
Contacts & Friends

Show Threads Show Posts
Tag Search
Advanced Search

Quick Links
Today's Posts
Mark Forums Read
Open Contacts Popup
User Control Panel
Edit Signature
Edit Your Details
Edit Options
Miscellaneous
Private Messages
Subscribed Threads
Your Profile

Go to Page...

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

01-03-2012, 04:39 PM #37
Elantra2012
Banned

Fan#: 93428

What I Drive: 2012 Black Elantra

FF Reputation: 1
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0) Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService

Hey jimmyt,

I reviewed the case notes, and engineering is actively working to resolve the bearing noise. Please keep in contact with your dealership, and let them know if the symptom changes. I truly appreciate the patience you have shown.

~Natasha

Dear Natasha,

The info you gave jimmyt is totally false.I don't say you made it up ,but who ever provided this info sure did.The cause of this problem,the solution and the parts have been available since at least August 2011.But for some unknown reasons,only a few dealerships have been made aware of it.The TSB updates have never been released ,even if the solution is relatively cheap(under 400$),Ford engineers are hidind the info about the new bearings.So far,only two people on this forum with the same problem ,got it fixed: sirhawkeye and myself(use to be Beepster).Not sure how sirhawkeye's dealership got the info ,but for mine I simple harassed the sh..t out of the service department of my dealership until they started asking questions and finally got the same answer I got from here in August.It nearly cost 6000$ of unnecessary repairs for a 400$ fix to a problem that should have been caught on the quality control inspection.
I now own a 2012 Elantra totally flawless.The second I got the complete paperwork,the dealership gave a copy of the Hyundai quality control inspection sheet.Under "Road Test",you can read:perform a minimum of 10km of combined city and highway driving and "Check for squeaks , rattles , vibrations,wind noise,ect." If Ford employees would have performed this simple little step ,I would have saved myself a 20 week nightmare and 6000$.

As for jimmyt,I already told you what to do.Call your dealership,tell them to call Ford US or simply to order the new bearings that are the same numbers as the other ones.If they refuse,call many times a week until they do.It sucks but this is the only way I got the car serviceable enough to get did of it.
Good luck

Elantra2012
View Public Profile
View Gallery Images
Find More Posts by Elantra2012
Add Elantra2012 to Your Contacts

01-03-2012, 08:15 PM #38
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90069

What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus titanium

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
I'm happy to help. Have a wonderful day!

~Natasha

is this true? this is what I sent my dealership Service manager Chirs Robinson. Please contact him and get this problem solved.

Chris below is problem solved. Why have you not called FORD to get this done? Do I need to talk with another dealership or the owner of the one you work with? I now have over 11,800 and the wheel noise problem is still there as reported at 3,300 miles.

QUOTE=Elantra2012;3950951]Dear Natasha,

The info you gave jimmyt is totally false.I don't say you made it up ,but who ever provided this info sure did.The cause of this problem,the solution and the parts have been available since at least August 2011.But for some unknown reasons,only a few dealerships have been made aware of it.The TSB updates have never been released ,even if the solution is relatively cheap(under 400$),Ford engineers are hiding the info about the new bearings.So far,only two people on this forum with the same problem ,got it fixed: sir and myself(use to be Beepster).Not sure how sirhawkeye's dealership got the info ,but for mine I simple harassed the sh..t out of the service department of my dealership until they started asking questions and finally got the same answer I got from here in August.It nearly cost 6000$ of unnecessary repairs for a 400$ fix to a problem that should have been caught on the quality control inspection.
Under "Road Test",you can read:perform a minimum of 10km of combined city and highway driving and "Check for squeaks , rattles , vibrations,wind noise,ect." If Ford employees would have performed this simple little step ,I would have saved myself a 20 week nightmare and 6000$.

As for jimmyt,I already told you what to do. Call your dealership, tell them to call Ford US or simply to order the new bearings that are the same numbers as the other ones. If they refuse, call many times a week until they do. It sucks but this is the only way I got the car serviceable enough to get rid of it.
Good luck[/QUOTE]

jimmyt
View Public Profile
View Gallery Images
Send a private message to jimmyt
Find More Posts by jimmyt
Add jimmyt to Your Contacts

01-03-2012, 08:18 PM #39
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90069

What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus titanium

Originally Posted by Elantra2012
Dear Natasha,

The info you gave jimmyt is totally false.I don't say you made it up ,but who ever provided this info sure did.The cause of this problem,the solution and the parts have been available since at least August 2011.But for some unknown reasons,only a few dealerships have been made aware of it.The TSB updates have never been released ,even if the solution is relatively cheap(under 400$),Ford engineers are hidind the info about the new bearings.So far,only two people on this forum with the same problem ,got it fixed: sirhawkeye and myself(use to be Beepster).Not sure how sirhawkeye's dealership got the info ,but for mine I simple harassed the sh..t out of the service department of my dealership until they started asking questions and finally got the same answer I got from here in August.It nearly cost 6000$ of unnecessary repairs for a 400$ fix to a problem that should have been caught on the quality control inspection.
I now own a 2012 Elantra totally flawless.The second I got the complete paperwork,the dealership gave a copy of the Hyundai quality control inspection sheet.Under "Road Test",you can read:perform a minimum of 10km of combined city and highway driving and "Check for squeaks , rattles , vibrations,wind noise,ect." If Ford employees would have performed this simple little step ,I would have saved myself a 20 week nightmare and 6000$.

As for jimmyt,I already told you what to do.Call your dealership,tell them to call Ford US or simply to order the new bearings that are the same numbers as the other ones.If they refuse,call many times a week until they do.It sucks but this is the only way I got the car serviceable enough to get did of it.
Good luck

I have been after the dealerrship and FORD CS both who pass the buck to the other. My 18 X 24 inch maagnatic lemons are on the doors which say, "Ask me before you buy"

#75 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaldree
I think I have the same front end problem on my 2012 Focus. It sounds almost like a phantom noise or like beinbg in a barrell or drum. Hard to explain and describe but we know there is a problem. We speculate on what it could be. The dealer replaced the front bearings a coupleof months ago. I wonder if he used the new bearings or the same bearings that came with the vehicle from the factory. Does anyone else have a problem like mine>

Go on record call Ford CS and report it!! This is so it will be covered when/if they find a cure.

#76 ·
Originally Posted by Beepster
In my case ,it feels like when you drive on a bad batch of asphalt but it did it all the time between 50 and 80 mph.If they replaced the bearings a few months ago chances are that they had the old ones.Ask your dealership to make sure to get the new ones and to replace them on both sides of the car.

Good luck.

There are more out there having this problem than I ever realized. For a long while I thought I was the only one. Be sure you let Ford CS know that the problem is not resolved. I hear that it is a bearing problem and the other manufacture of the bearings is not having the problems, which is why it is not a universal problem.

Regardless, FORD is losing sales over it!!!

#77 ·
Originally Posted by jimmyt
cbaldree, please keep those of us that are in this thread apprised of your success with a resolution.

PS: I sent Natasha, with FORD, my info and never anything heard back. I have been calling Ford not the dealership about every two to three weeks, since early August, hoping for a resolution. The dealerships cannot do anything until FORD lets them know what to do. Still waiting......

Thank you for letting me know you sent the information. I will go check the email account for it now.

~Natasha

Originally Posted by Beepster
In my case ,it feels like when you drive on a bad batch of asphalt but it did it all the time between 50 and 80 mph.If they replaced the bearings a few months ago chances are that they had the old ones.Ask your dealership to make sure to get the new ones and to replace them on both sides of the car.

Good luck.

There are more out there having this problem than I ever realized. For a long while I thought I was the only one. Be sure you let Ford CS know that the problem is not resolved. I hear that it is a bearing problem and the other manufacture of the bearings is not having the problems, which is why it is not a universal problem.

Regardless, FORD is losing sales over it!!!

#78 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguzman75
This sounds exactly what mine was doing and all mine was due to low air pressure. They were at 25 psi, aired them to 35 and the sound is almost all gone.
Now it very, very faint so I am pretty sure it is just tire-rubber related. These tires still have plenty of tread left but after reading reviews others have stated that the rubber becomes hard at noisy. The tires are the barum bravuris and will be my last set.
Hope this helps.....

Thanks for the comeback. The dealer put our Focus on a vibration system to check it and the tires were ruled out. That was the very first thing I checked as well. I am also on the 1st rotation of the tires, at proper inflation rates of 37 PSI, and the noise is very much still there.

Drive with the radio and fans off between 55 and 70 MPH and listen to see if you still hear the noise, you may be having the same problem. It is not as prevalent in some Focus models, mine is the Titanium Hatch back. Ford is aware of this so it indicates it is a known & documented non-tire related problem.

#79 ·
Welcome in the club,I got this problem since I bought the car in June.And to give you an update,engineers have apparently found the source of the problem a few weeks ago and it would be some bad bearings.The "new" bearings are apparently available but dealerships are waiting for the new TSB before ordering the parts to fix this issue.

The message was suppose to be out this week but again I was told to wait.After 19 weeks,me being pis.. off is an understatement.

#80 ·
Beepster, Nothing new, although I had a follow-up call from Ford CS today. I asked some pointed questions they could not answer. The fellow I spoke with said he would ask some contacts of his own to find out what he could. I asked what, where/why and how soon this could be fixed. I went on to say I was concerned that if it is taking so long to solve would this problem be taken care of if my warranty ran out. As of today nothing has changed with the TSB.

I went on to talk about my thread on Focus Frantics, which has enabled me to find out I was not the only one reporting this problem. I also told them that my wife is apprehensive about driving with this noise as she drives at the speeds it occurs. That when she is asked about how she likes her Titanium she tells people asking what is going on so Ford is not getting good press. Our Focus is good looking and several people each week ask how we like it

#82 ·
Don't know why the FF system stopped sending me e-mail updates on this thread lately, sorry I missed your replies jimmyt. Thanks for throwing all of that info in one spot, I'm going to print that out now. I've read through all this before but I think this is much better having it all in one spot.

The Ford Field Service Engineer is going to stop by the dealership tomorrow so I got call today from the service dealer asking me to bring the car in. I dropped it off tonight because I can't make it in tomorrow morning before work. Wish I had seen all these posts condensed here, I'd have printed it out and brought it in earlier this evening.

While I'm here, I'll mention another symptom I found last night with the car. When going 55 mph while the hum is going, I found that bearing left at this speed increases speed of the hum/vibration (instead of hum..... hum..... hum....., it becomes hum..hum..hum..hum..hum..). Bearing right decreases the speed of the hum/vibration. Sounds like an issue on the drivers side, because bearing left makes the wheels on the drivers side of the car spin slightly faster than those on the passenger side, and vice versa for bearing right. I haven't gone this fast on a curvy highway yet, so it was fun to notice it.

Fingers crossed for an intelligent FSE!

#84 ·
The Ford Field Service Engineer confirms the hum/vibration at speeds between 45 to 60 mph. He heard it before the service manager did when they drove it today. They also drove another Focus with the same options to confirm that other Foci don't hum or vibrate. He took some fluids from my vehicle and the other one to test. I'm guessing he just wanted to see if there were any metal fragments in my transmission fluid.

The FSE is going to bring his findings to a "Focus Group". The service manager doesn't know if that group is local or in Michigan. The FSE will get back in touch with the service manager, and will them know what needs to be done to get my car fixed.

On my way to pick the car back up again.

#86 ·
Got a call from the service dealer today. They told me that a "set of wheel bearings" arrived so whenever I can bring the car in they're ready to install them. Made my appointment for Thursday, and they said it should be done the same day.

I didn't bother to ask which wheel bearings were going to be replaced as I was rushed for time so I'll ask Wednesday night when I drop the car off. Took less than a month to get this figured out thank god. Keep your fingers crossed, hopefully the correct bearings get replaced! Talk to you all later Thursday night when the job is complete! [headbang]

#87 ·
No dice on getting the car back tonight, oh well. They are replacing both front wheel bearings. I don't know how they didn't get it done earlier today but it won't be finished until tomorrow. The service manager wanted to drive it himself tomorrow morning, so I'm out a car another day.

#88 ·
Got my car back. HUM IS GONE!

The employees at the service dealer were glad to see me gone, that's apparent. I asked where to pick up my car,they pointed me to the cashier, and they didn't say another word as I left. As if it were my fault that the wheel bearings in the car were bad. If by any chance you live in the central Florida area, don't ever bring your car to Ford of Clermont. I've been holding back the name long enough!

Thank you all so much for your help. If it weren't for you focus fanatic users and for Ford Customer Service, I never would have gotten my car fixed or regained my sanity after each visit to that shop. Hope you all have a great weekend, and I hope these new bearings hold up better than the original set!

#90 ·
I have the same humming rotational noise but mine is at 35 mph - been back to the shop 4 times for same thing. They cannot find anything wrong. I have driven with at least 4 people so they can hear the noise.. First one said definitely rotational noise but found nothing. The next three said that they have to struggle to hear it. Bull>>>>. It is loud and clear. Last time in they changed out the driver's front wheel bearing. Did nothing. Still there. I have contacted Ford about this and will be calling everyone back Monday to tell them still has noise. I picked my car up when it was raining, so I did not hear the noise until it was dry out next day. I'm angry because they can't seem to find the problem. They too are sick of seeing me and I am very sick of seeing them too! They have tried to tell me it is normal but the 4 other focus' I drive do not make this noise.

#91 ·
Might as well come back and start posting again so we're in this together. I too picked my car up in a slight rain when I posted my last message. The hum is NOT gone.

I figured out the very next day that it's still just as bad when the rain cleared up. It now occurs at a slightly higher speed (50 mph to about 63, used to be 45 to 60). That may just be due to parts wearing, as my vehicle now has 2300 miles on it as opposed to ~1400. I called Ford Customer Service and reported that the hum was still there first because the dealership said it was gone. The dealership continues to shrug off the problem and will only do what Ford tells them to do. The only person who seems to care is the service manager, but he has no idea what to do.

I'm so over it. I'm just going through the motions until I eventually have to file a Lemon Law suit. I brought the car back this Thursday to have the Service Manager ride with me AGAIN. Yup, problem is still there clear as crystal. They contacted the Field Service Engineer again to see where to go from here. Now I'm waiting for a response. Funny thing was he was about to start a whole new case. Then he thought out loud, "Nah, should probably call the Hotline with the same case number to get a quicker response". I certainly f*%&'n hope so, the problem was never FIXED, still have the same damn issue!

I bought a new car for peace of mind. My new car has spent more days in the shop than the 98 Jetta Turbo Diesel that it replaced. This sucks so bad, I just know this will end in me having to be the a$$hole asking for my money back or a replacement under lemon law. [facepalm]

#95 ·
I do not know the original part numbers. They appear to be the bad ones supplied to OEM builds.

The new ones installed, taken from my service invoice, are these 4 - 2 each CV6Z1251-A Bearing ASY - wheel; 2 each 1CV6Z-1104-A Wheel 511.

I have been told the part numbers, old and new, are different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.