Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Ford Focus Steering Problem

226K views 378 replies 124 participants last post by  2012 Focus Lemon Owner 
#1 ·
I bought a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback in Minnesota in June. The test drive was great (only 3 to 4 miles). When driving the car home (which is about 60 miles from the dealer), after 25 miles or so, the steering seemed to stiffen up and I found myself kind of zig-zaging within the lane (new cement freeway less than one year old). Thought maybe I was not used to the new car, or maybe it was the road? Since then, I payed close attention to the steering. I don't know what causes the steering to stiffen and free up at times. For now it seems to happen only at crusing speed (60-65) after some distance...and the distance seems to vary. So I decided after several hundred miles it wasn't the road or my ability to drive, it was the steering in the car that was the problem. I brought the car back to the dealer to be fixed and they said it drove fine. I asked them how far they drove it, and they said less than 10 miles. I asked them if they would drive it 20 to 30 miles on the freeway. They did, and found the car to be doing what I said it was doing with the steering getting stiff and then free. But they said nothing could be done about it. I am wondering how the car is going to act on ice this winter driving down the freeway. Anyone else hear about, or having this steering problem?

#258 ·
Hi scoobtothenoog.

I'd like to look into why you haven't received a call. Can you PM me your case number or VIN?

After driving about 1000 miles the problem has come back, wandering around the road again...
Hi jrrysthl.

I'd like to look into this for you. Could you please PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info? I'll see what I can find out.

Ashley

#257 ·
Steering wandering problems

After driving about 1000 miles the problem has come back, wandering around the road again.
I will take it back and they can try to repair it again. I also am thinking of trading it for something else.
I think that it should qualify as a LEMON. It sure leaves a bad taste in my attitude towards Ford.

#259 ·
We bought a 2013 focus SE yesterday and when we got on the highway for the 110 mile trip home, our car would not stay in our lane! We zig-zagged and wandered the entire trip home. I goggled this issue as soon as we got home and found this thread, which I just forwarded my dealer. While the car is great for local driving, it is completely unacceptable for highway driving. I hope I get help from our dealer.

#261 ·
We still have not heard back from our dealer. Very frustrated. I have waited ten years for a new car and now this, a car that we cannot drive on the highway! Will try calling again today.
Hi FLFocus2013,

Check out your inbox for a message from me. I'll do what I can to help! :)

Crystal

#262 ·
I find the stock summer tires on my Titanium with the handling package (18" wheels) tend to follow the ruts in the road a lot more than my winter set (15" steelies and winter tires). This appears as pulling, jerking, etc. and really forces you to A - pay attention and B- hold onto the wheel. Both are good things IMO.

Not sure what size tires you have, but I wouldn't not drive the car just because the tires seem to pull you around a bit. It takes getting used to and therefore may not be a mechanical issue. All cars with performance oriented tires will do this to varrying degrees and the Focus is a performace oriented car. Once you get the hang of it, you'll appreciate the way you can zip around corners, etc. If your last car was 10+ years old, it may have been a lot softer than this one; again, give it some time.

#263 ·
Not operater error

Thanks, but my boyfriend drove race cars, a Ferrari and a corvette and he could not keep our new Focus from zig-zaging on the highway on the entire drive home from the dealer. Tires are 16" Alloy. I really want to love my new car, but I should have said I cannot "safely" drive it on the highway. Still no response from my dealer.

#264 ·
Wow this a great web site. Anyway I'm having the same problems with the wandering steering too! My car is a 2013 Focus Titanium.
Anybody Hear of the 2013 having this problem too?
According to Ford my car was built around Oct of 2012.
I took the car into the dealer for this and many other problems and I got some things fixed and some of them can't find any thing wrong.
As for the steering problem I got nothing wrong answer.
Well I got to bring the car back in for visit number 3 next week,
Funny thing is the card was sold to me on June 28th 2013.
Bummer cause I liked the Focus cars. This is my 4th one.
Too bad It's full of problems.

#266 ·
Wow this a great web site. Anyway I'm having the same problems with the wandering steering too!...
Hi kae9797,

I'm happy to look into options to assist you as well. Send me your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name in a PM and I'll get to work. :)

I agree, great site. Crystal from Ford customer service put me in touch with a rep for my area who will be calling me again today to check my progress. I did hear back from my dealer and his manager (he had the day off, so could not get back to me right away). I brought my car in yesterday for service. They kept it overnight, so hope to hear back today...
Let me know what your hear from the dealership, FLFocus2013. I'll be here if you have any questions or concerns.

Crystal

#265 ·
heard back from my dealer

I agree, great site. Crystal from Ford customer service put me in touch with a rep for my area who will be calling me again today to check my progress. I did hear back from my dealer and his manager (he had the day off, so could not get back to me right away). I brought my car in yesterday for service. They kept it overnight, so hope to hear back today. I asked them to take it on the highway, so I hope they do. I am guessing my car was also built in 2012, but will check. Will keep you posted.

#270 ·
The service manager was nice enough to take our car out on the highway with us. The car drove fine, so I am not sure why it drifted and zig-zagged the day we bought it. We will wait and see if it hapens again. I really want to love my new car.
Hey there FLFocus2013; how did you make out with your dealer visit?
I mean did you do a follow up with them after your last posting?[popcorn]

#271 ·
Problem Fixed

I took my Focus to my local tire store and had the all four tires re-balanced. I then went on a trip of over 500 miles 2 lane to 6 lane highways, Blacktop and concrete surfaces and had no problems at all. The car drove like new.
I think that the computer that assists with the steering is sensitive to wheel bounce and appying adjustment for wobble and causing further problems, so the simple fix for the wheel wobble problem is to simply have the wheels re-balanced.
The dealer is NO help in this.

#273 ·
Well, after using a code recorder and zig-zagging down the highway for 15,000 miles, my dealer replaced the steering rack, and the car is now performing as designed.
I am grateful for the help I have received from this board. The 2013 Focus now drives like a dream

#275 ·
I still have that zig zag feeling. Now I have a noise coming from the right front and the right front tire is cupping up. But the Lincoln dealer checked the car before the tire cupping and said the steering was fine.. That was 4000 miles ago and it still feels the same. I know the focus has very sensitive steering, but to always have to correct the car is not good.

#276 ·
You're right, having to constantly correct is not normal, regardless of the sensitivity of the steering. Cupping and uneven tire wear is sure evidence that something is not right. If it were me, I would take the car to a competent alignment shop.

#278 ·
I also have a cupped tire and a slight zig-zaggy feeling. I was just going to assume it was a bad belt in my tire or something. I'll check the bearings and the rest of the suspension (to the best of my abilities) in a few weeks when I put on my winter tires.

#279 ·
I am making an appointment at Ford to have them look at the steering and the tire cupping... I'll let you guys know what happens..

#280 ·
Hey GreyBullit,

I'd like to get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager, who'll be able to work with you and your Ford Dealer toward a swift resolution. Please send me a PM with you full name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Todd

#281 ·
Ok. Will do.. thw wife is driving the focus today.. ill send you a pm tonight... thanks

sent from my Galaxy S3 thru Tapatalk to deliver you my 2 cents.

#282 ·
So finally I got my car to the dealer.. They did the TSB for lubing the front strut shafts.(smh) they did the alignment (that wasn't out and didn't give me specs) and now the car is worse.. instead of lightly drifting, its pulling... So I guess I have to take it back. which is not easy since its my only means of transportation..

I also asked about the rough idle when the car is cool, they said everything looked ok, but they couldn't check it because of the green filter, the car is not programed for the open end filter... I'm like really.. ok.. Not happy with that answer, only been working on cars most of my life... not everyone is car dumb... but its not that important as it runs smooth in gear and still gets the close to the right gas mileage.

#283 ·
2014 Ford Focus Steering Problem

I just purchased a 2014 Focus and there is a noticeable steering problem.... I am so disappointed! The car pulls left, then right and when I drive I am in constant correction mode. This is especially noticeable when on the highway but I can definitely feel it at slower speeds as well. I saw a news show with the Chairman of Ford saying that Ford is a great product... I guess I got duped. If I could return the car I would. Back to Honda and Hyundai for me.[bigcry][bigcry]

#284 ·
I just purchased a 2014 Focus and there is a noticeable steering problem.... I am so disappointed! The car pulls left, then right and when I drive I am in constant correction mode. This is especially noticeable when on the highway but I can definitely feel it at slower speeds as well. I saw a news show with the Chairman of Ford saying that Ford is a great product... I guess I got duped. If I could return the car I would. Back to Honda and Hyundai for me.[bigcry][bigcry]
Why not just take your car in to be fixed under warranty? It's either an alignment or steering rack issue and considering the fact that it's a '14, there should be no issue getting it covered. Steering wander is a known issue on the Mk3 and there is at least one TSB covering it.

#285 ·
Dyn085- If you check the posts on this problem it seems like its the way ford designed the system expecting customers not to notice I guess. It's bad business. I am going back to the dealer, but how sad that I am back in the shop after day one with my new car. Ford will not be able to fix a problem like this. I cannot drive like this and want a complete refund.

#287 ·
The intent wasn't to make it appear as if getting a warranty repair is 'that easy', although it is for some. I understand that some people have 'Service' issues as I was one. If I choose to buy another Ford then I have to do it at one dealership in town and then for service take it to a different one, because each dealership sucks at the other facet of the vehicular experience.

No, my message was more along the lines of why just immediately want to give the car away instead of trying to have it fixed? No production process is perfect nor is every-single produced vehicle. It baffles my mind that people would find something to complain about and, even though there is a process to have the issues resolved (hopefully with no out-of-pocket expense), they want to take a path of ignorance and just get rid of the entire vehicle instead.

Granted, that has nothing to do with 'good' or 'bad' service dealerships-strictly the thought process prior to having taken it in. I totally understand those that have crappy Service departments that would rather get rid of the vehicle than have to travel to another dealership or deal with a vehicle that is worse off than when it was initially brought in. But at least those people actually tried to get their issues resolved.

Alfsnack, I've followed this thread and similar threads like it for a long time. To think that Ford designed the system to be like that and 'not noticed' is absurd. My car doesn't do that. That means that you have a problem, exactly as others have. Ford recognizes the fact that vehicles aren't driving 'the way Ford designed the system', which is why there is a TSB out concerning it...

#293 ·
Bought this car as a commuter, 100 miles daily. This thing is horrible on the highway, right then left then right then left............

I will be going back to the dealer and see what they say. Kinda thought Ford would have this worked out by now[?|][?|]
mkkfocus, can you please let me know what dealership you took it to if they acknowledge the problem and fix it?

I live nearly 6 hours away but would gladly bring it down there if there's a dealership that will take care of this problem.

thanks

#292 ·
I bought a 2014 Tuxedo Black Focus ST3 in January and I've had this problem since I bought it. I didn't feel the sensation on my test drive, but I suppose it wasn't long enough for the problem to show up. At first I thought I was just going crazy, but I knew I wasn't when I got home, googled what I was experiencing and read many others describe the sensation exactly.

It's so exhausting and downright dangerous to be ping ponging back and forth for miles and miles. Driving next to a semi truck requires 110% concentration in order to keep the car in the lines.

The dealership I bought the car at refused to acknowledge the problem even though they said they drove it in the exact conditions I told them to. I gave up for a few weeks and then tried taking it to another dealership. The dealership was much friendlier but completely ignored my description of the problem and when it tends to occur.

I'm just really disappointed and love the car otherwise. I've driven many other vehicles of all shapes and sizes and I can say with 100% certainty something is wrong with the car. I just don't know how to get the dealership to experience it (and/or acknowledge it).

Ford customer service has also been no help to me thus far. I called them three or four times and never got an answer besides "we're going to back the dealership on this issue."

Not sure what to do next

#294 ·
Similar Issues

I have a '13 Focus Titanium that is giving me similar trouble. I don't drive a lot of highway, but the car is pulling me all over the place in town. I'm constantly fighting and worried that it's going to pull me into the curb or the car next to me. The issue surfaces when braking as well. Any time there is any sort of imperfection in the road, applying the brakes will cause the car to pull hard one way or the other.
Anyone else experience this at low speeds as well? I have to assume this is related to the high speed zig-zagging everyone else is experiencing.

#295 ·
I have a '13 Focus Titanium that is giving me similar trouble. I don't drive a lot of highway, but the car is pulling me all over the place in town. I'm constantly fighting and worried that it's going to pull me into the curb or the car next to me. The issue surfaces when braking as well. Any time there is any sort of imperfection in the road, applying the brakes will cause the car to pull hard one way or the other.
Anyone else experience this at low speeds as well? I have to assume this is related to the high speed zig-zagging everyone else is experiencing.
Do you have the Titanium Handling Package? I noticed that the wider rims with the sticky summers tires can really do that because it doesn't happen when I have my winter tires on.

That said, I still have a hard time driving a straight line on the highway no matter which set of tires I'm on, so maybe they really are related? [dunno] But also, some of my bearings are bad, so I'm hoping that fixes the drifting issues.

#297 ·
Interesting. I did no read entire thread yet. Had same issue. Going down the highway when I needed to correct steering would kinda pop a bit. After a few hundred miles I have not noticed it any more. Thinking was just need to break in. I am now going to pay way more attention to make sure it is indeed gone and not me just compensating. Will let you all know my results. [driving]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.