Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus Transmission Shaking

393K views 1K replies 297 participants last post by  drag-t 
#1 ·
I've had my new Ford Focus for less than 2 months. I'm about to take it back to the Northside Ford Service Center in San Antonio, which will make my fourth time to have it back in service since I bought it. At very low speeds, like in stop-and-go driving, with light breaking pressure, the car shakes and shutters. At first I was told it's just the way the new transmissions are. I drove to another dealership and drove another Focus. The problem was not there. So I took it back in and was they given a copy of a service bulletin that says the shuttering problem will soon clear up and the clutches needed time to break in. The problem got worse. I took it back in a third time, and on the way a cooling fan motor burned up, and after a week they said the cooling fan motor was replaced and the shuttering couldn't be felt. Well I drove it off the lot, turned around, and asked the service rep to go for a ride. When I showed him what I had been experiencing he was wide-eyed and went back in to get the transmission expert who also took a ride and said that's a real problem because our legs were shaking inside the car. The tech then agreed that he would not be happy paying $21,000 for a car that acted this way. So now, I'm leaving it at the service center again. Oh, and the trans tech now says he thinks if may be a braking problem. Has anyone experienced the same thing? I'm very, very close to just parking it and hiring a lawyer. I feel taken for a ride, and not in a Ford Focus.

#434 ·
Tansmission Leak

OK I took my car in for an oil change and the guy told me I had a transmission leak figured it was a seal that was bad. Right away I made an appt with ford dealer, they had it for 2 days the first day the service manager called and said they were keeping it over night, that they "did not think it was just a seal leaking"....

Day 2 they called and said the car is ready to pick up, that it was normal to have trans fluid coming out of the seal it is the way it is done, with the powershift trans, and my jerkyness was from the 2 clutches.... I did have the re-programming done already last month,(which should of solved the problem).
Service mananger said it was a "normal condition".....
Any help would be great I never had a ford before and I am kind of regreting buying this one. Just seemes like there will be lots of problems with transmission, and prob will be shot right after warranty is expired
thanks in advance

#435 ·
2012 Focus - 2 weeks old, 1000 miles - transmission issue

After reading the string related to this issue here is my 2 cents.

We have just over 1000 miles on the vehicle having purchased it about 10 days ago and I am ready to get Ford to take it back. Anyone that takes a position that this is normal is missing the point. Its not and the issue is not going to go away by stating so. The dealer service people are on 2 different pages to the point where some advisors said "its normal" and shrug it off, the others I spoke appeared to not know about it. This is coming from 2 different dealers.

Time for Ford to deal with this up front and quit doing an end-around asking for information that only delays things. I can send form letters also if they want. We have owned 6 different Fords, this may be the last one.

#436 ·
Yes I have been talking to Ford and they told me I could take it to another dealership for another opinion. I told them if you have told the dealerships this is a normal condition why are they going to tell me any thing different.
[mad] This condition is not normal, the hesitation has started back up again and now when you park it on a hill it seems like the parking paw in the trans is slipping.

#437 ·
I have just purchased a new 2012 Ford Focus SEL, this is a great car and overall I am pleased BUT I am VERY unhappy with the transmission shudder as it is annoying and I have also been told by the Ford service department it is going to get better, I have had the car less than a week and I too am looking at taking the car back as previous posts indicated, 23K is a lot of money to pay for a car that has this issue

#438 ·
Tbone, ours has 14000 miles on it and we've not experienced any tranny issues. The shifting gets smoother as the car learns how you drive. Try giving it more throttle from a stop and also experiment with the "S" setting.

It's a great little car with a transmission that behaves differently than a torque converter automatic. Relax, let the computer learn, and enjoy.

#439 ·
Focus shaking issue.

We have 3 new Ford Focus cars, one with the regular auto and two with the power shift trannies. And yes they all shake somewhat but mine is far worse and the dealer says there is nothing wrong. I can say this is my first Ford ever and it may be my last. I traded a 2011 sonata, and I almost feel like I made a mistake and even without the power shift tranny and a much bigger car I still averaged the same mpg.

#444 ·
Traded it

Finally got so fed up with all the issues we were having with our 2012 focus titanium that we traded it in on another brand of car......that thing is going to get someone killed with its shuddering transmission and having no power when you really need it but only doing it randomly....plus not being able to lock the car because alarm always goes off, or hood open alarm going off, or sd card fault popping and the touch screen going blank, not to mention a horrible rattle in the front end and then the straw that broke the camels back, a steering fault service required message popping up right as you lost your power assist steering....but none of these issues left any codes so the dealer could not fix after numerous attempts.....took a large monetary loss but am very glad to be rid of that death trap......First and last ford ever ..B-lou

#445 · (Edited)
Finally got so fed up with all the issues we were having with our 2012 focus titanium that we traded it in on another brand of car......that thing is going to get someone killed with its shuddering transmission and having no power when you really need it but only doing it randomly....plus not being able to lock the car because alarm always goes off, or hood open alarm going off, or sd card fault popping and the touch screen going blank, not to mention a horrible rattle in the front end and then the straw that broke the camels back, a steering fault service required message popping up right as you lost your power assist steering....but none of these issues left any codes so the dealer could not fix after numerous attempts.....took a large monetary loss but am very glad to be rid of that death trap......First and last ford ever ..B-lou
Good luck with your new car. As I have said before, we must be driving different cars. Our Focus has been fabulous.

#451 ·
Good morning everyone hope everyone is having a blessed day, ok so my dealership has replaced the clutch in my 2012 Focus SEL and as I drove away from the dealership I noticed a very different driving experience, the shifting was smooth and controlled and to be honest i was very excited and hopeful that my issue was resolved but having an engineering background I am always careful not to jump to conclusions until proper due diligence has been completed. So at this point I spent about 3 hours driving in stop and go traffic well unfortunately the car still "shudders" in first gear (it actually feels like it is slipping) it is most notable when starting from a dead stop and going up a slight uphill grade, as I still love the over all quality of the car, I don't believe I can deal with this for the next 60 months as i dont believe it will get better it may stay the same or get worse with time.My dealership has offered to take the car back if I am not satisfied and although my sales associate and finance manager has really done a great job it trying to take care of me I have to make a decision on if to return the car or just live with it

I continue to be pressed from the dealership to fill out the survey and based on my first survey response, which was not positive, I truly believe they are motivated to make me happy

At this point I would recommend this dealership but would not recommend this car until the transmission issues are resolved or at least an up front marketing campaign by Ford to "call out" the differences with this transmission and offer an option to have this type or go with a more common type of transmission

Thanks again for all of the feedback and offers to help I am very grateful to everyone, have a great day!

#452 ·
Tbone, you notice the slight shudder on a slope because the most recent software (FSA this past spring) modified the TCM and ABS software to manage the brake better on a slope. Some owners were complaining that the car would roll back slightly on a slope. It would if you didn't apply the brake. To make the computer controlled manual DCT behave more like a traditional automatic, they modified the code so that the brake would be managed by the computer on a slope, even one of slight upward degree. Now what happens is that when you first hit the accelerator, the brake is still engaged for a second or two. As the engine and brake compete, we notice a slight shudder. The shudder is more pronounced on steeper slopes.

My tech says he fully expects another software update to address the conflict.

Be sure that you never ride the brake in your Focus as I think this will enhance the shudder.

#456 ·
I purchased a new 2012 Focus for my daughter. It currently has 15 thousand miles and the transmission was shifting really hard and loose off idle. I had it in once and not sure what they did then but its worse now. I just got the call from the service department and they said it needs new clutches and have to drop the transmission. Waiting on parts and hopefully will be back in action in a couple days.

Its a little UN-nerving when my 2003 has 190,000 miles and the only things it needed was fluid and filter changes and I did replace a shift solenoid around 180,000. My 2004 has been flawless with 140,000.

#457 ·
Trans Shaking Intermitent?? Help

Just picked a used 2012 Focus SE with 11k ...really like it but did notice a shake or shutter when pulling out with the AUTO trans..?? I read the previous post...does it need to learn me?? Does it need the PCM flashed?? Ideas?? Do I need more warranty coverage?? thanks MJB[ohcrap]

#458 ·
take it back to the dealer

Just picked a used 2012 Focus SE with 11k ...really like it but did notice a shake or shutter when pulling out with the AUTO trans..?? I read the previous post...does it need to learn me?? Does it need the PCM flashed?? Ideas?? Do I need more warranty coverage?? thanks MJB[ohcrap]
Your basic warranty is for 3 years or 36000 miles so take it to a ford dealer and tell them to fix it ...if they dont get ford customer service involved then give dealer another chance if that does not work it seems getting a lawyer involved does seem to help get ford to do something and just hope for the best....B-lou

#461 ·
B-Lou--- no I did not---- now Im screwed huh?? I totally missed it ... MJB[mad][???:)]
MJB, no you are not screwed. If you understand how the DCT operates differently than a traditional torque converter transmission and have no pronounced shudder or shifting problems, your car is most likely fine. My wife's Focus shifts beautifully; I have just ordered a second Focus for myself. They are great cars. Just make sure that if you have any questions or problems that you discuss them with your Ford service people.

There are DCT software updates available. Check with your local Ford dealer to have your software levels checked and any applicable updates applied; at the same time, be sure to ask them to inspect the undercarriage for any leaks. I do this every time I get the oil changed.

I empathize with anyone having problems. If I can answer any questions, feel free to PM me. And, I am a private owner. I do not work for Ford or any dealerships.

#462 ·
2012 focus transmission stuttering

There is some good discussion at the Ford Focus facebook page where other owners like ourselves are working with a Ford rep-Natasha, and she is taking info and relaying it to the home office.

#463 ·
I have been to the dealer 3 times, once for a total transmission failure and also for two refleashes, one recall. The dealer has been great but eventually Fords home office engineering dept told the dealer that the shuddering is seen in all 2012 automatics focus' and there is no fix at this time.

I feel this is an unacceptable problem and answer because it is to the point where my passengers ask what is wrong.

I have found a ford rep trying to help on Fords focus facebook page and people are starting to show up there and post their own experiences.

#464 ·
What you have here is that a good portion of people who purchase these new cars are comparing the DCT to a hydraulic automatic transmission. It has some quirks that separate all DCTs from ATs, and that includes a low speed shudder when accelerating from a stop due to a low rpm engagement of the gears. It will even shift into 2nd if you're rolling before you hit the accelerator exacerbating the problem- that one is what the software reflash can fix.

Now, because there is a large group of people who are complaining about their cars, then Ford has issued dealers a diagnosis recommendation to help separate the people with real problems from the ones who don't understand the differences between a DCT and a standard AT. What you have in this thread are 2 people who feel like they've been wronged, assume everyone else will be wronged as well, and fully believe that the rest of us are just blind to the misgivings of our car god Ford. Now Ford's transmission diagnostic can cause issues for some people who have real problems thanks to the complainers who don't have problems, but if Ford didn't do that then the dealer service centers would be full of cars with no problems. VW had the same issues with their DCT, so this is nothing new. When it's an expensive European car (from Brazil), people look at the problems differently than when it's an average priced American car. Not to mention that I'm sure the Focus DCT has outsold VWs already putting more vehicles on the road.

My best advice is to do your own diagnosis to see if your transmission is experiencing problems that are out of the ordinary. First, make sure that you don't spend time hovering over pedals. Be either on the brake or on the gas at a stop. Most people tend to let their foot off the brake and coast forward at stop lights- like you would in a standard AT. Try just waiting with your foot on the brake and then going. If you've ever driven a manual transmission, then you probably remember what will happen when you shift into any gear and the rpms drop too low. My dad used to drive his Honda up the driveway at 5 mph in 2nd creating such a groan that you could hear it inside the house. I even suggested to one girl on here that she drive her 2012 like a teenager for a week. Go ahead, give it some gas- if you're afraid you'll break something, then you definitely want it to break under warranty- right?

Note any strange sounds you hear like humming at highway speeds that can be changed by forcing the transmission into lower gears to separate that sound from tire noise. Make sure that whatever you hear is something that you can reproduce 100% of the time so you can show a service advisor. Mechanics can't fix what can't be determined. Something that happens every once in a while is impossible to diagnose even if you're the driver. I had a bad inner CV that I noticed at about 1K miles, but I wasn't able to get it changed under warranty because of the nature of the problem. I finally changed it out at 120k miles- not out of the ordinary for CVs, but it was "bad" during that whole time.

I don't want to detract from your problems, but I do want you to understand things from the other side so that can help you get your problem solved with the dealer, Ford, and the service manager. Oh, for some more peace of mind, call your dealer and ask them what Ford's tow service number is. It should be in the owner's manual, but the receptionist will know also. There is a 800 number, something like 800 tow ford, you can call that will get you a tow truck, and if the repair is under warranty- the tow will be covered.

#466 ·
more about dct problems

whynot, thanks for your extensive reply and my apologies for not explaining in more detail about my transmission and/or my own work on automobiles, dating back to installing clutches on my 1972 Capri.

I am a former vw gti owner and never had stuttering anywhere close to this degree, no passenger ever noticed a thing, though as a long time sports car fan, I did.

The ford dealer and ford itself have been very honest and upfront in saying they are fielding many complaints about this and at this time, their home office engineers have no "further" fix available (bearing in mind there have been at least two TSB's so far).

In addition there has been at least one recall, which the dealer did for me.

I agree with you that some very mild stutter, and/or low speed indecisiveness is a common trait to all dsg transmissions and that we all have to remember that this is not a fluid based hydraulic automatic.

That being said, the vw gti version of this transmission proves by doing so that even low speed shifts and starts do not have to be so poorly done that your passengers ask what is wrong.

I think Ford is a world class company and will continue to improve this transmission even further than the two TSB's and the recall they have issued.

Thanks again, Steve

#467 ·
whynot, thanks for your extensive reply and my apologies for not explaining in more detail about my transmission and/or my own work on automobiles, dating back to installing clutches on my 1972 Capri.

I am a former vw gti owner and never had stuttering anywhere close to this degree, no passenger ever noticed a thing, though as a long time sports car fan, I did.

The ford dealer and ford itself have been very honest and upfront in saying they are fielding many complaints about this and at this time, their home office engineers have no "further" fix available (bearing in mind there have been at least two TSB's so far).

In addition there has been at least one recall, which the dealer did for me.

I agree with you that some very mild stutter, and/or low speed indecisiveness is a common trait to all dsg transmissions and that we all have to remember that this is not a fluid based hydraulic automatic.

That being said, the vw gti version of this transmission proves by doing so that even low speed shifts and starts do not have to be so poorly done that your passengers ask what is wrong.

I think Ford is a world class company and will continue to improve this transmission even further than the two TSB's and the recall they have issued.

Thanks again, Steve
Steve, thanks for the clarification. The "recall" was really a Field Service Action and not a recall.

#468 ·
morning 6769, On the field service action, I'm not sure if we are both looking at the same thing because my service receipt from the collection in my briefcase says

recall power train control module
perform recall 12B37-reprogram PCM-TCM-ABS
perform ivd initialization

is this also known as a field service action ?

#469 ·
Steve, they are describing what they did; it was an FSA not a recall though. 12B37 was an optional sw update that was available last December. The FSA was announced by letter to all owners this past spring and included code that was updated beyond 12B37 to modify how the brake behaved when the car was stopped on a slight slope. That's why they also updated the ABS code. I preferred the 12B37 update over the FSA myself.

Hope this clarifies things.

Bob

#470 ·
Great thanks Bob, probably it was just the way the service dept typed it up. In conversation they made it sound like my check engine light and partial shifting failure was due to the recall/fsa they did.

This was my 2nd trip in this time with check engone light and only mild failure of shifting, the first time I lost 3 forward gears and reverse.

#471 ·
Great thanks Bob, probably it was just the way the service dept typed it up. In conversation they made it sound like my check engine light and partial shifting failure was due to the recall/fsa they did.

This was my 2nd trip in this time with check engine light and only mild failure of shifting, the first time I lost 3 forward gears and reverse.
I am going to borrow my wife's Focus next week and my tech and I are going to reset the computer and perform adaptive learning. My thinking is that the car learned my wife's driving patterns before the FSA. I want it to start fresh and see if we can eliminate the slight shudder altogether.

I'll let you know the results if you're interested.

Is your CEL off now?

#472 ·
Bob, I would be very interested in that, thanks. I wondered if my frequent use of sport mode was partially responsible, plus maybe I should have used AC on and/or passengers during the learning period so the process included loads beyond just me with no ac.

#481 ·
Got an update on my clutch replacement on the 2012 focus~

Fluid contamination damaged the clutches ( per the service rep) and it will be a few more days to repair. I was told they had " a couple others" in for service like mine.

My vehicle build date was the month of September.
Perhaps a bad month....( I work for Ford btw).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.