Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Ford Focus Vehicle Tattoos (Good Idea or Bad Idea?)

Vehicle tattoos for the all-new 2012 Ford Focus

73K views 158 replies 118 participants last post by  shawnmicheal200 
#1 ·

The popularity of tattoos has turned body art into a fashion statement – especially among Millennials – and Ford is taking the trend one step further by offering car buyers a quick and inexpensive way to express themselves with tattoos for the new 2012 Ford Focus.

From geometric patterns and racing stripes to whimsical imagery like splashes and swirls, customers will soon be able to choose from more than 200 unique vinyl wrap tattoos to find a design that reflects their personality at www.fordcustomgraphics.com.

“Millennials have a very personalized, artistic side to their lifestyle, and their vehicle is a very important part of that,” said KC Dallia, Focus brand manager. “With its striking front end, sleek profile, dramatic rising beltline and athletic stance, the Focus provides the perfect canvas for customization.”

Tattoo trend extends to cars
According to the Pew Research Institute, nearly four in 10 Millennials have at least one tattoo, and Gen Xers are not far behind at 32 percent.

Sheryl Connelly, Ford Global Trends and Futuring manager, says the migration to vehicle tattoos is a natural progression of the tattoo craze.

“The one-size-fits-all model isn’t really relevant to today’s consumers, and it’s not necessarily a desire to stand out from the crowd. It’s more of a desire not to be lost in the masses,” she said. “People are personalizing everything – cell phones, computers and clothing – and it’s no different with automobiles.”

Ford Custom Graphics developed for the new Focus will range in price from $120 to $470 and can be easily removed, providing younger customers with an economical way to “grow with their car,” says Connelly.

“People are holding on to their vehicles longer, and the way we identify ourselves today may not be the way we want to express ourselves tomorrow,” she said. “Customers can easily change the tattoos as their life situation and style evolves.”

Test your creativity with the 2012 Ford Focus at www.fordcustomgraphics.com
With a few clicks of the computer mouse, customers can choose the exterior color of their Focus, select the tattoos they like and then be able to see exactly how the designs will look on the car.

All of the tattoos are made with 3M Scotchprint® Personalized Vehicle Graphic Film plus a clear graphic protection layer. They are professionally installed at Ford dealerships and include a three-year/36,000-mile limited warranty.

Original Wraps Inc., a provider of on-demand custom graphics to the automotive industry, developed the tattoos and the website for Ford. According to the company’s chief executive officer Tom Stemple, the tattoos offer customers the look of custom paint at half the cost.

“Another important benefit is that the tattoos are made to order. We don’t manufacture any graphics until they are purchased,” said Stemple. “That gives us the flexibility to keep updating the designs to give customers fresh new ideas to choose from.”

Custom Graphics are currently available at www.fordcustomgraphics.com for the Ford Mustang,
F-150, Explorer and Fiesta. Because orders are processed at individual dealerships throughout the country, there is no way to track how many tattoos have been sold, but consumer response to the site has been strong with an average of 15,000 unique hits per month.

Focus graphics are expected to be online in mid-January.

2012 Ford Focus offers customers more choices at production
The all-new 2012 Ford Focus, which will arrive in dealerships early next year, will offer customers plenty of choices at production, including four trim series – S, SE, SEL and Titanium – and 11 unique wheel styles.

The vehicle also will be available in 11 exterior paint colors. Four of the choices are premium paints. Tri-coat paints that offer deeper, richer color will be available in White Platinum and Yellow Blaze, and two tinted clearcoat paints will be offered in Red Candy and Blue Candy.

Vehicle Personalization: Ford Custom Accessories make it easy and fun
The automotive aftermarket has grown into a $34 billion industry. And Ford Vehicle Personalization continues to come out with cool new products – from wheels and decklids to hood scoops, grille inserts and vehicle tattoos – to meet increasing customer demand for accessories

See less See more
#88 ·
I have applied vinyl graphics on a bunch of cars over the years. They are not hard to apply. Simple ones like the bubble graphics on my wife's Focus I posted a picture of is quite easy because it's made up of a bunch of pieces. The Flame graphic I put on the PT Cruiser she drove before the Focus was more involved and required a helper because it covered a good portion of the sides of the car.

The trick is to use a little dish soap mixed with water that you spray on the surface. This allows you to move the graphic around and makes it easier to squeegy the air out from underneath.

#97 ·
no Bio. a guy named Larry Hook. very well know. people come from long distances to have their car done by him. even as far as PA. i'm fortunate to know him. he does all my brothers construction equipment. yes. my brother is the only one i know that has pinstriped payloaders, backhoes, & bobcats.

#100 ·
I'd say check in your local area for a company that does full car wraps... Then have them design something up. Then you'd be able to pick what goes on your car.

#102 ·
I probably would not get any on my car unless it really fit my persona. Something to the lines of WRC stuff on a special edition car would be real cool but Im gonna be a realist on this one.

#104 ·
i agree with most all you guys. if you go to pick a vinyl at a dealership it's just as cheesy as picking a tattoo off the wall at a tattoo parlor. there are many places that do vinyls often and you not only would be able to get something truly original, but would get a better quality than a dealership that just started. not to mention helping the small business out too. they can look good but look outside the "parlor"

#108 ·
The tattoo thing is similar to the squiggly pinstripes of the '70s on cars and while stripes are fine for some people but I won't drive a car with stripes unless it's more of a serious contender on the track but that's just me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.