Focus Fanatics Forum banner

WuNgUn's one-man tranny install!

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  frednumber15 
#1 ·
Yeah, all by myself...finally got the sucka up and bolted in...

Here is my custom made shifter busging installed...

So basically, what I did was plop the Getrag into a milk crate, with the car up in the air, and slid it into position...

I carefully jacked the car down to get a better alignment...

And wiggled and tilted and lifted it up into place...started a few bolts top and bottom to draw it in...

And that's it!!
Wasn't too difficult, but I worry that maybe with my wiggling and tilting, that I might of caused damage to the main seal, or the throw out bearing...? Scary thought..
Time will tell!
That's as far as I got when I broke the bulb in my trouble light!! Dammit!

Oh, and the custome shifter bushing installed and cable mounted...

I'm a little concerned that the one I've sold will be seriously difficult to install with the tranny still in the car!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh my look at that oil pan!!!

Lol good work. Trannys aren't as bad as everyone thinks. Its just one of those mystery things that is expensive so most people don't attempt.

#4 ·
I did plenty of tilding and engine lowering/raising doing the clutch on my zetec. 30k miles in, no issues (knock on wood) with either the seal or bearing! I think your fine.

#6 ·
how long has the tranny been out I thought I saw a post like last year saying you were doing your clutch?

Anyways congrats on the install I did mine alone too but I used a ratchet strap to lift the tranny up to the car instead of bringing the car to the tranny. Its not easy but doable for sure

#8 ·
nice job. how long did it take to remove? It took me about 2 hours to remove each which isn't great but I ran out of energy and decided to just drop the tranny on a tire. haha.

#9 ·
Thats how i took mine out! Dropped 'er down on an old Focus rim
:)
I was in no rush to remove it...maybe 3 hours for everything.
Can't wait to feel the difference with the SouthBend Stage1 lightened flywheel!

#12 ·
Wow this great, I'm about to have to throw a tranny up in the SVT I just got, and the best part? I have a milk crate!!! I can't believe how easy looking that is. Let me know how that south bend clutch kit combo does. I'm going to be looking and I'm not sure which to go with.

#13 ·
i did that too, one man sucks but good idea with the milk crates thought. i just used 3 floor jacks, one on the gear end of the trans one under the bell housing and one under the diff.

man your cars rusted. my 04 has no rust under neither. i would definitely get a new pan soon, or you may find yourself one day with no oil.

#15 ·
Surface rust is ugly but it's usually not a structural problem...it's only when water gets trapped inside or behind something............like with a frame or with body work that holes and serious damage result.

In fact they make bridges now that are purposefully allowed to rust as a protective surface...iron oxide. I think they do have to weld them together to keep the water from between the plates though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.