Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Pro-Clip Phone Mount

101K views 103 replies 50 participants last post by  riparke 
#1 ·
One thing I've been slightly disappointed with is the lack of center console interior storage. I wish there was a cubby hole right where the climate control and shifter are--mainly to stick my phone for easy access without taking up the cupholders. I ended up ordering a Pro-Clip mount, and I love it. Check it out here: 2012 Ford Focus Pro-Clip Mounts.

I got the angled mount, and it fits just perfectly on the edge of the vent and that lower trim piece below the audio/nav. It is very secure and sturdy--no rattles or wobbliness. I've decided to use Bluetooth for music instead of USB, so I like to have the phone visible to pick out music, etc. and view SMS if they come in (iPhone doesn't support SMS through Sync). The mount is inside the vertical plane of the center console, too, so it doesn't bump the left knee of the front passenger.

Great product!

#3 ·
I meant to do this when I made the first post. Here you go:

It's a little hard to tell from the first pic, but it's angled perfectly towards the driver. The mount I got for my iPhone is supposed to work for iPhone 3G/3GS with cases, but my case is pretty thin, so it can tilt a little bit (isn't wobbly, though). iPhone 4 models in slim cases fit perfectly. The mount is also on a tilt/swivel base to get it in just the right position. It locks down with a screw once there. The mount is also width adjustable for other phone/device models.

#4 ·
sorry to thread hijack...but its been bugging me.

what are the 2 buttons that you have directly in front of your shifter knob? in my SEL i have the passenger airbag light and then defrost i believe. what are the other 2 as mine is just a blank space.

#8 ·
I got an iphone bracket on Ebay for $12. It secures with 3m dble sided tape. On my se I have it attached in the little cubby where the emergency brake is on an sel. The bracket works great and keeps the phone in a place where it is easy to see maps and at the same time keep it plugged into the usb for charging and better than bluetooth audio. Also very easy to put in and take as I leave the car. I don't seem to have photo posting privileges yet or I would post some pics. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170605976399&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

#16 ·
Guys... ProClips has a third mount for the 2012 Focus that goes on the A-pillar.

http://www.proclipusa.com/brodit-ve...012-2012/proclip-left-mount-804621-13344.aspx

Isn't there an airbag in there? I like this location the best. It's high and closer to line of sight (no looking down). It's also not blocking the vents. I just want to make sure I'm not setting up a super-projectile for when the curtain air-bags deploy.

I've used pro clips before on my Murano with mixed results. The first clip I got was like the vent clips but grabbed onto the Murano's radio bezel. It really wasn't stable, but also didn't have much meat to grab onto. I replaced it with a bolt-on mount which was rock solid. Looking at this a-pillar mount for the focus, I think it's got a much better chance of being solid as you can get grip around either side of that trim.

#17 ·
Thanks for the post!! Ive been trying to find a mount for my iphone because the Sync USB menu layout set up be a retard and is horrible to navigate!! And it might just be my voice but the voicecommands never work. 20k car and i have better scrollthrough menus on my alarmclock. but thats what you get with Microsoft..... cough*Mac FTW*

#22 ·
I want to get the left pillar Proclip mount for my GPS. I've uses a center mounted Proclip mount on my 2006 Dodge magnum and my 2011 Fiesta. Don't really like the center mount on the Focus though. Might work okay for something slimmer like a phone, but for a GPS, I think it blocks the vent too much. Only problem with the left pillar mount is that to plug it in to the 12V power source you would have to run the cord somehow all the way to the center socket. So any one know a good way to maybe hard wire another 12V outlet? I was thinking of putting one some where under the dash on the left side. Like near the OBD port. Then I could just run the GPS cord down and plug it in when I need to.

#23 ·
I'm using that mount. I like it a lot. I'm using it with my iPhone with the integrated dock with a removable cable. I bought a 10' black usb to ADC cable which turned out to be perfect.

Ten feet will go down the weather stripping on the door and under the lower dash. Then, you can just tuck it under the center console's lower edge back to the arm rest. Since I've got a titanium, there is no cable-way into that compartment, so, I just come over the side (you can see where the cable is pinched in the photo). It works fine. It's out of sight except for someone sitting behind me (which never happens). I was thinking that there was probably access outside of the armrest bucket from inside if you fished it, but I've been too lazy to do that. This has been plenty adequate for me and it's never in the way.

So, I use usb, but once you're in the armrest, there is usb and a accessory port (I think).

#25 · (Edited)
You know... there is only one minor issue I have with it. If you have the phone directly connected AND blue-toothed in, the phone needs to pick which audio out it's going to use. There is no ranked preference, just who connected last.

Given how wonky MFT is about starting up, it's really a crap shoot. I would like iOS x+1 to let you rank those options like you can with wifi nets on OSX.

USB gives you graphics on MFT and is a little more responsive. Bluetooth doesn't give you graphics, but allows you to continue using the iPhone screen controls (useful for rewind 30 seconds). So, there are merits to both.

I spend most of my time on an hour one-way commute listening to books. So, I'm looking to charge my phone and being able to occasionally rewind. The ideal way would be to get power from usb and use bluetooth. I initially tried to get a 6" male to female usb cable and cut the data connectors - didn't work. It wouldn't charge. But it looks like someone has commercially solved this: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/CBLUSBCS1M/

I haven't gotten this yet, but it looks ideal. I think I'll just wait until my next macsales purchase of a hard drive for my laptop to roll it in for the shipping cost. I hate paying as much in shipping as things cost.

But, ya know. It really isn't a big deal to kick it over to Music and select the appropriate connector - sync or dock connector.

#29 ·
I just got my Pro-clip mount for the right vent. I got it for my sirius radio and I love how it looks/fits. Just beware, because as you can see the clearances with the dash were super tight, needed to use a different axillary headphone cord just so I could plug it in and not use the crappy FM transmitter. I thought I would include some pictures so you guys could see how it looks. Oh and before any of you say any thing about my dirty floor mats, don't worry they are weather tech mats, I'm a PE on a construction site almost everyday so they get dirty quick.

#30 ·
So I went and bought the mount for the left center vent with 12v cord. Trying to find a good way to power the thing. Didn't need to plug it into the USB because a) I have only one in the console (SE trim) b) WP7 doesn't support playing audio over USB, so I just use my Zune HD which I keep in the console.

Anyone have any good ideas of a place to grab power from that both looks good (so close the the center console) and doesn't require taking apart the car?

#35 ·
I also bought the ProClip mount for my cell phone. Great solid product that doesn't mar the surface where its attached!

#36 ·
I have a proclip in my current car and it's been pretty nice. Yes, they are pricey, but they are custom made for each car and device, so that's nice. I'm glad to see some folks here have gotten this so I know it'll fit fine in my car when I get it. Are there power outlets/cigarette lighters somewhere near the dash on the Titanium? I see getting power to it might be a nuisance.

I originally got mine to hold a Garmin, which uses a ball mount. Coincidentally my LG G2X mount uses the same size ball mount, so it mounts on there without trouble.

#37 ·
I mounted my ProClip at the passenger side center vent location. I then pulled up my shifter boot and ran the power for my Garmin nuvi 2555LMT to the accessory plug in the back seat of my Ti. Tucked all the cords under the console, you can't see the power except for the little bit that exits the top right corner of the shifter boot, and the plug in the back of the console. Just me and the wife, no backseat passengers. Cell charger can be plugged in at the cupholder 12V source between the butt warmer controls. GPS is powered by accesory power, which shuts off after car is off for a bit. No other power needed yet.

I'm going to get the new OBDII power connector for my Valentine One, so it will be nicely integrated as well.

#40 ·
I'm sorry I didn't see this thread before I bought my Pro-Clip.
I had one in my last car (Ranger) and loved it.
But I mistakenly bought the one for the drivers side vent and with my TOMTOM GPS installed there is very little room for your fingers.
I keep hitting it and sometimes knocking the GPS out of its mounting.
Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and get the passengers side vent version.
IMHO this one may not even be safe because it gets in the way too often.

#41 ·
See if they'll exchange it? I debated the drivers vs passenger side and finally went with the passenger side. My GPS can either be portrait or landscape, so it may have worked on the drivers side, but it is almost perfect on the passenger side in either orientation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.