Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Question about Titanium Handling Package

32K views 38 replies 28 participants last post by  BlkRidr 
#1 ·
Hello Forum,

I am new to this forum, but I wanted to ask some of your opinion about Titanium Handling Package. For 2012 Focus Titanium Hatchback, does it make sense to have Titanium Handling Package? Does 18 inch wheels give better handling? I live in Northeast and road conditions here are not that pretty (pot holes everywhere). Does 18inch wheels makes sense? Is it worth adding in as an option?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I got them on my Titanium, of course I did not drive a Focus without them and the Titanium handling package so I can't compare directly. I will say the 18 inchers look nice on the car, it does handle well in the corners although it does not have the acceleration to really power out of the corner. The downside is they are not going to be winter tires so you will have to plan on getting a different set for winter especially in the NE winter...The reviewers say that the 18 inch tires do give more road noise as well although with nothing to compare to, I don't find the road noise bad at all.

#5 ·
Look at what you get for a mere $600:

Sport tuned suspension.

18-inch wheels.

Michelin Pilot Sport PS3 tires.

The value is INCREDIBLE. On Tirerack, the tires alone are about $300 each.

One thing I noticed is that the recommended tire pressure for the PS3s is 39 psi. 39 PSI!!! I could feel every bump in the road. I've got them at 32 psi now and I'm much happier.

Tony

#6 · (Edited)
One thing I noticed is that the recommended tire pressure for the PS3s is 39 psi. 39 PSI!!! I could feel every bump in the road. I've got them at 32 psi now and I'm much happier.

Tony
Is 39 what's recommended on the sticker in the driver's door jamb or what the tire itself says? Low tire pressure (which is the condition you're creating) will cause the tires to wear out quicker and decrease fuel economy because of the increased rolling resistance. Doesn't your TPMS light come on, too, since the pressure is lower than what it's expecting?

I opted out of that package for the ride and all-weather traction compromises. Our roads are crap here, and it's impossible to avoid every pothole. We also get enough winter weather where the summer tires would be inadequate year round, but not enough where it makes sense to get snow tires. With the (unspecified) performance upgrades on the base Titanium and the decent but modest power of the engine, I think the 50-series 17's will be be plenty.

#11 ·
I think the car is firm but comfortable with them. They are also ridiculously sticky tires. Compared to my modified/lowered 04 with 18" wheels, this car is like a Cadillac. I guess it just depends what you're used to.

#14 ·
Here are the specifics from my Etis details. My car is a titanium with the handling package, so if someone else with an Etis account that bought a titanium who didn't opt for the handling package could post their details, we'd have our comparison!

Here are my suspension stats:

BV61-5310-MD* Left Front Coil
BV61-5310-MD* Right Front Coil
BV61-5560-NG* Left Rear Coil Spring
BV61-5560-NG* Right Rr Coil Spring

I don't know if all the coils and springs are different, or if they're same with just different tensions or whatever.

-B

#17 ·
I live in New Jersey and I feel like the 17" tires handle just fine plus are a nicer ride and wont cost you that $300 a tire when it comes time for new ones... The $600 is just not really worth it for me. When I get my window sticker I'll put up the specs to compare

#18 ·
for U.S.-spec 2012 Ford Focus only
There is no difference between suspension components in hatch and sedan
The differences between various types of suspensions are:

1) There are 3 types of Front Shock Absorbers:

for Standard Suspension
for Handling Suspension
for Touring Suspension
2) There are 3 types of Rear Shock Absorbers:
for Standard Suspension
for Handling Suspension
for Touring Suspension

3) There are 2 types of Front Suspension Lower Control Arms:
1.for 16" Wheels and for 17" Wheels (made of aluminum)
2.for 15" Wheels (made of steel)
All other components (including front and rear springs and suspension knuckes) are currently absolutely the same for all models, trim levels and packages. Ford media page mentions stiffer springs on the Sport Suspension (SE optional Sport Package, standard on Titanium)
Damping varies in about three steps throughout the Focus lineup, Titanium with the handling package has the most aggressive of them all.
All Foci have the same 19-mm rear stabilizer bar, and front I believe is 23.5-mm stabilizer bar.

#19 ·
2012 Ford Focus Suspensions (US)

This is compiled from checking dealer inventory VINs in Etis, parts lists from Fordparts.com, and information from other posters (thanks GhiaFan). It is interesting to see how the different models are packaged. It also makes me wonder if there are errors in Etis. For example, I don't see the "MD" rear springs being used with any model, but I expected them to be used on the Titanium with 18" wheels. Also, the SE Sport uses the S rear springs?

There is no difference between hatch and sedan suspensions.
All models use the same stabilizer bars - 23.5mm front and 19mm rear.
Both suspension packages use standard brake calipers and pads.
There are two different front lower control arms - one for the S model (15" wheels) and one for all other models (16", 17" and I assume 18" but not listed) wheels.
Front suspension knuckles are the same, but different rear (I think) suspension knuckles for 18" wheels.

S
6 x 15" Steel Wheels
standard suspension (shocks)
• BV61-5310-NF* Left Front Coil
• BV61-5310-NF* Right Front Coil
• BV61-5560-NF* Left Rear Coil Spring
• BV61-5560-NF* Right Rr Coil Spring

SE
With 6.5J X 16" Steel Wheel
• BV61-5310-NG* Left Front Coil
• BV61-5310-NG* Right Front Coil
• BV61-5560-NG* Left Rear Coil Spring
• BV61-5560-NG* Right Rr Coil Spring

SE - sport package
7 X 16" Alloy ET 50MM Style 2
touring suspension (shocks)
• BV61-5560-NF* Left Rear Coil Spring
• BV61-5560-NF* Right Rr Coil Spring

SEL
7 X 16" Alloy Wheels

Titanium
7J X 17" Style 5 Alloy Wheel
touring suspension (shocks)

Titanium - 18" alloy wheels
8 X 18 ET 55MM Alloy Style 2
With Handling Suspension (shocks)
• BV61-5310-MD* Left Front Coil
• BV61-5310-MD* Right Front Coil

#23 ·
No problem. I hope it helps someone in some way. Anyway, I found it interesting and more than a little surprising (assuming I didn't miss something on the Etis lists). I expected the SE and SEL to use the same suspension, but I previously thought the S also used the same springs and shocks. Instead, the S uses different springs. I completely did not expect the SE Sport to use a mix of the S and SE/SEL springs, and expected the SE Sport and the Titanium to use the same parts. Instead, the Titanium uses the same springs as the SE/SEL with only the shocks being different. I also expected the Titanium with the 18" wheel package to use unique shocks and springs, not use SE/SEL rear springs. Fordparts.com shows "MD" rear springs listed, but for some reason Etis doesn't show them being used. Who knows?

#29 ·
Tire inflation is another crazy argument. I keep mine at 3 over all of the time. Makes the ride more firm and has a positive (negligible) difference on mileage. Numerous threads on it.

A for the handling package, I have it on my Ti. I also had a SEL for a month. The difference is substantial. The SEL was way more comfortable, yet stable. The Ti is very firm. I keep the PS3's at 42. I don't know just how bad/many potholes you have, but I would use extreme caution. There is a section of road that just got re-worked on my commute that sounds like I am running over a 4" curb head on. I actually have to slow down for it. And there are also mixed reviews on their road noise. Mine are loud, but only above 65. But I absolutely love how the car rides with the handling package.

One final note, the PS3's will probably only last for about 30k. Something to keep in mind for over $1k tires.

#30 ·
I think I'd lower the tire pressure a tad from 42 down to, say, 38. Actually, I think if I were running 18's at 235 wide I'd be closer to 35. There would be a small difference in mileage but it would be a more comfortable ride with nearly optimal handling. It might also make those expansion grooves a little less bone shaking...

Brian

#34 ·
if u check edmunds.com. it says the titanium focus 60-0 mph in 110ft. max g in 0.91. whereas the focus st 60-0 mph in 112 ft and max g in 0.93. slalom: st in 69.1 and titanium in 68.3. Now just think the titanium is a automatic focus st without tubo and no front aggressive grille. mainly because of the suspension and tires. i jacked my titanium H package up and look over the sport suspension and found that is quite amazing because the jack almost left my car tilt 20 degrees but all the wheels are still touching the ground. they stuff those sport spring to make it harder ride and less bounce. but one question, does the handling package also include the diamon kote undercoat? or that is actually another package. I found my car has the sticker but i cannot see other non h package titanium have it.

#35 ·
The undercoating would be a dealer add on or a previous owner.

The chassis is very stiff even on the lower trim level Focus models, but the only benefit of the handling package over the lower trims is a slightly stiffer suspension and grippier wider wheels, the standard Focus Titanium does not benefit from a brake upgrade, and is also suffering the severe steering limiters just like the ST, although the ST uses a different rack with even bigger limiters and shorter rack travel for a quicker responsiveness.

#37 ·
I used to own a 2012 SE Sport before I traded it for a 2013 Titanium. I can tell you first hand that there will be a notable difference in driving. First off, the stock Titanium wheels (Michelin Piolot Sport 3) are low profile, firmer, louder, but so much better handling. The SE Sport (Continental ContiPro Contact) where no slouch. The handling was very good and very quiet, but you still notice a difference with the Pilot Sports. Secondly, the Pilot Sport tires hold up better to abuse on the road than the stock Conti's just from my experience. I had to replace those tires more often, but they are cheaper too. Replacing a 18 inch tire are not cheap if you are unlucky to mess one up. Still, I'd say its well worth the upgrade for just a little bit more when you purchase a car equiped with 18 inch tires.

#38 ·
I know the suspension is stock and not heavily modified yet, but to me the handling of my ti
Is ok but not great....definitley going to have to do a lot of upgrades.

#39 ·
Getting the most out of the handling package on my Titanium out on the roads and highways in Texas. Maybe it's just me, but feel better connected to the road and lovin' the 18-inch wheels on low profile Kumho Ecsta ASTs, which provide solid grip and add to the appearance of the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.