Focus Fanatics Forum banner

which focus drivetrain to use?

958 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  fusi0n 
#1 ·
Okay folks, I am looking at saving up for a crazy project. I want to use a dual cam focus engine, tranny & axles to make an all wheel drive reverse trike with 2 seats, similar to a Trex. I assume the engine behind the seats with 1 axle leading to the front & the other to the rear. I am also thinking about using the modular front suspension from a Focus to simplify future maintenence and keep costs down. I dont have a Focus, but I have been impressed with them in dual cam fashion and I know because there are many out there, replacements parts cant be too bad either. What I hope to find here, is what year & model of Focus I should be aiming for, and what parts of the old doner I should pay attention too, such as what parts of the wiring harness to re-use & what parts to scrap. I suspect I will also use the gauge cluster to give it a professional looking "from the factory" appearance. I did a similar project about 10 years back with the front modular suspension form a C5 vette and a hyabusa engine in back, but it was only 1 wheel drive. I want this thing to be AWD so I can even go through some snow & ice without soiling myself in the winter here in Iowa. I know it sounds way out there, but I even have the gear ratios worked out to use the stock size rims & wheels from the focus also. I figured this would keep the gauges accurate and keep people guessing. Any input would be appreciated.

#2 ·
2.3l Duratec engine would be a solid starting point for your engine. 2004 would probably be the best year to look for it. not sure if they made the 2.3l duratec in a focus after that.

#3 ·
First off, good luck.

For the sake of convenience, simplicity and cost, you're probably going to want to just get a regular Zetec with the MTX-75 manual transmission (5 speed). That would be in the majority of 2000-2004 models, any non-SVT type (sedan, hatches or wagon).

Your other options would be...

Duratec 2.0 / 5-Speed - More expensive, maybe a little more power, less junkyard parts (only found on 05+ models), more expensive performance parts (in general), more longevity as far as support directly from Ford (the Duratec replaced the Zetec in Ford's lineup)

Duratec 2.3 / 5-Speed - Rarest combo, benefits should be obvious, same pros & cons as D20, good luck finding one

SVT Zetec 2.0 / 6-Speed - Higher compression ratio, stronger internals, generates about 30% more HP/TQ than regular Zetec but this is partially due to more intelligently engineered supporting parts (intake, exhaust, header)

The rest of your post is way out of my mechanical league so that's all I've got.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.