Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How To: Change SVT Gauge Color

71K views 97 replies 34 participants last post by  WCI-Mike 
#1 ·
I did this write up to help any svt owners who hate the stock green color of their gauges and odometer. I went with red but any color could easily be used. Materials used are 1 white sheet of printer paper size 8.5 X 14 inch and 1 colored transparency sheet of equal length. Tools needed are Phillips screwdriver, flat head screwdriver, 7mm socket wrench, T-10 socket,razor blade, scanner, photoshop(or equivalent photo editing software), and a printer. I am not responsible for any damage to your vehicle. This how to covers the steps for the main instrument cluster. The same steps apply towards the small gauges on the right.

1. Remove the 3 screws holding the trim piece covering your gauges.

2. Push in the two tabs on either side of the steering column. This releases the trim piece connected to the gauge cover.

3. Disconnect the hatch release button.

4. Use the 7mm socket to remove the four bolts holding the instrument cluster in place.

5. Remove the clip on top of the instrument cluster(this is the power source that lights up the gauges.) Separate that piece from the gauges by pushing a flat head under the plug and sliding to the right

6. Remove the main harness located on the back of the cluster. Slide the black bar all the way to the left and pull out.

7. Separate the black cover piece from the white gauge housing by lifting up on the four tabs(two on top and two on bottom)

8. Remove the 3 black plastic tabs that hold the tach needle and speedometer needle in place when the vehicle is turned off. These pieces pull straight off. Also remove the needles by pulling directly up.

9. Remove the 3 torx bolts holding the gauges in place. Once these are removed the gauges lift straight out.

10. Remove the plastic piece that interacts with the odometer from the underside by squeezing it together and pushing it out.

11.You then separate the gauge face from the back white part that actually lights up.

12. The gauge face is what you scan. Using a photo editing software edit the gauges to whatever you want them to look like. I enlarged the svt logo and deleted the kph. Also you need to delete the background(the gray part of the gauges) so when it is printed all that prints out are the numbers and lines. The gauge is larger than a normal piece of paper so use 8.5x14 inch paper.

13. Using the stock gauges as a template cut the new printed gauges out including all holes and the rectangle where the odometer is seen.

14. Use the stock gauges again to trace out that same shape onto the transparency sheet of your color choice (I went with red to match my seat inserts.)

15. You will have to cut your stock gauges to install the High beam light, abs light and traction control light. Once cut from your stock gauges install them directly on the white part of your gauges that light up. You will also have to cut away these sections from your new gauges and transparency sheet.

16. Install the new gauges on top of the transparency sheet and then those two pieces go on top of the white part of you gauges that light up.

17. Now you can put everything back together in reverse order.

18. to calibrate your needles use this. http://www.focusfanatics.com/howtos/needlecalibration/

Thanks, I hope everything goes well. Soon to follow will be how i did my odometer.

See less See more
#57 ·
Just tore apart the cluster and am going to be putting in a different overlay and blue LED backlighting. I am trying to keep from damaging the original gauge face, what is the trick for the 'High Beams, Traction Light and ABS Light?' Would like to keep the original idiot lights but can't seem to figure the trick out with those three lights.

#59 ·
idiot lights that stay

I got my colored guages from Mtothaj a while ago. Had the same issue with the 3 idiot lights. Since the factory svt gauge is like a sticker I just cut around the lights while holding the area to stay, then peeled the rest of the gauge face off. The 3 places stayed stuck to the backing like a stcker and didn't move. Mine is done and looks great. I got red. Also the odometer was brighter than the rest of the face so I put 2 pieces of white paper in front of the red and it matches pretty well now.

#60 ·
I got my colored guages from Mtothaj a while ago. Had the same issue with the 3 idiot lights. Since the factory svt gauge is like a sticker I just cut around the lights while holding the area to stay, then peeled the rest of the gauge face off. The 3 places stayed stuck to the backing like a stcker and didn't move. Mine is done and looks great. I got red. Also the odometer was brighter than the rest of the face so I put 2 pieces of white paper in front of the red and it matches pretty well now.
Glad you got everything installed. Have any pics?

#62 ·
The gauge face itself has a green backing that can not be removed. The Electroluminescent panel lights up white, but it has a slight blue hue to it. You would have to replace the gauge face. I'm not sure if it will light up a pure white but it's possible.

#70 ·
Question = have a manual-book that describes removal of inst cluster and it claims that tipping the cluster could cause silicone fluids to leak out of the gauges
is that really possible?? are these open wet gauges ??
in aviation the gauges are fluid filled and sealed airtight
why would ford have fluid filled open gauges??
any info on this would be helpful since I am gonna remove and instal a new inst cluster
thaks danman

#72 ·
just educational -not smack down

well new holland IL must be a complete vacume of intel , since you work on fordcars all day and know more than anyone, you should also know that 'wet' gauges are very prevellant in many automotive arenas : off road racing, rally cars, drag racing, nostalgic cars
summit parts sells 'wet'gauges for many applications = under hood fuel pressure gauges, nostalgic old timey style tachs and speedos
the wet portion makes the gauge more sustainable in high vibration enviroments
now standard street cars arent considered high vibration but these 'super-tuner' specials might fall into that realm if enough motor work is done, but why would ford waste those dollars on 'wet'gauges when they could sell aftermarket for triple prices
then the real question "why does a ford mechanic not know any of this??"
so arrogance covers ignorance = sounds like your a government worker for obummer

#73 ·
ok sorry in a production car and if they are so useful in offroad use why are they not in fords massive offroad truck the raptor. oh i know why because they are useless by todays standards the gauges of today are like everything on modern cars better the only thing you MIGHT ever see them in is a hardcore rally car

#77 ·
those tiny bulbs burnout easily in a gauge console; with just speedometer you have 3 lightbulbs with a tach there are 5 light bulbs = those tiny bulbs are $4 each at local auto parts places
remove gauge console from dash - work slowly so you dont crack any of the plastic dash pieces
there are tiny grey light-bulb-pods that turn into -screw- 1/4 turn into the white framework of the gauge console - my hands are too huge so I used a small needle nose plyer to twist and remove the tiny lightbulbpods ; then another needlenose plyer to grasp the bulb and pull from the grey pod = take the bulb with you to the store to match up there are probably 2million different sizes to choose from and not interchangable
have seen led style bulbs for these on ebay and other internet sights but there is the delivery time , there are even colored led for the dash maybe an alternative to rebuilding the entire dash gauge console = just switch to colored leds ???
I am sure that some 20something arrogant pos will now chew me out for giving this advice cause it isnt in line with his supreme knowledge
just check for yourself and change your own bulbs
goodluck D

#78 ·
oh nice, yeah ill have to check that out but unfortunately wont be able to work on it until the weather changes around here. its so cold that i dont want to be twerking on the gauge cluster at all cuz it would prolly crack but when i get a chance when the weather changes ill take it apart and let people know if it worked and try to get some before and after pictures. thanks man

#80 ·
wait so do u need colord transparent material or cant you just replace the bulbs with a differnet color. becuase i didnt see a green transparent sheet so it must just be the bulb right

#82 ·
Gauge scans

I was perusing the digital version of the owner's manual and found out that I can pull objects from the file, including the very detailed gauge cluster so graciously included by Ford. So here I have an Illustrator file and a pdf of both the original (sans needles, they were in the way) and a modified version that I made that I think looks way better. The least they could have done was not use Helvetica! You'll have to figure out how to print it right, I just finished designing it and I'm pooped. I might have to remove the idiot lights from the print, I think those are their own sections behind the dash. Let me know how it works, and if I can make any changes.

Illustrator file

PDF file

#98 ·
Gauge scans

I was perusing the digital version of the owner's manual and found out that I can pull objects from the file, including the very detailed gauge cluster so graciously included by Ford. So here I have an Illustrator file and a pdf of both the original (sans needles, they were in the way) and a modified version that I made that I think looks way better. The least they could have done was not use Helvetica! You'll have to figure out how to print it right, I just finished designing it and I'm pooped. I might have to remove the idiot lights from the print, I think those are their own sections behind the dash. Let me know how it works, and if I can make any changes.

Illustrator file

PDF file

does anyone have this illustrator file anymore? i could really use it for my current project

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.