Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Basic Bolt Ons: Cat back exhaust systems

116K views 185 replies 73 participants last post by  Vip_Focus 
#1 · (Edited)
The next thing most people install on their cars is an aftermarket exhaust to help it breathe better to free up a few ponies as well as give it a sportier tone. Headers are covered in a different topic. All these models will fit all Duratec motors unless otherwise specified. The only exception are those with the factory 06-07 Street Appearance Package which may require a little modification.

Common brands are:

Magnaflow

Borla (discontinued)
Trubendz
MBRP
FocusSport regular and stealth models
F2
NEW!Ford Racing (2012 Only)

"Lunchbox delete"

There is also always the option of having a system custom ran at a local shop. Make sure you are specific about exactly what you want done so you don't end up with a cheap muffler and 1" rusty tubing.

There are many issues to discuss when talking about cat back systems. Here are a few of them.

SOUND
One thing an aftermarket system will always have over stock is a distinctive sound. Sound is a personal choice, whether you want it to be loud and deep or quiet and rumbling, there is a cat back setup for you.

Many systems are much louder than stock. When this becomes a problem especially when combined with a race header, you have a few things you can do to quiet your system down. FocusSport offers a stealth option which adds a larger resonator to the system, Trubendz offers the ability to customize your set up by choosing your own muffler and resonator.

PERFORMANCE
This is to me one of the most important aspects of a an exhaust system. To start with, when choosing your setup, you need to take into consideration some of your future plans. If you are planning on staying relatively mild and just using bolt ons, then a 2.25” system will be more than enough for you. However, if you plan on a serious N/A build or the use of forced induction, a 2.5” system will provide much better gains. Borla, MBRP and Trubendz make the best 2.5” cat back systems

PRICE
Cat back setups can run anywhere from $125 all the way up to $650, its up to you what you want to spend. The gains are not increased by spending more however the advantages of Stainless Steel (especially in northern climates) are well worth the money.

LINKS:

Trubendz Exhaust System Install on a 08' Sedan

Exhaust Videos and Sound Clips

Comments, discussion, and corrections welcome!

See less See more
Reactions: jaqworld
#90 ·
thanks i love how it sounds and looks. i frickin hate fart cans! this kid at my school drives a nissan sentra spec-v type R and it has a 5" exhaust system, to me thats just stupid because my brothers straight piped f250 super duty has a 4" system hahaha!

#92 ·
hahahahaha![hihi] i dont know where he got a system that big but i hate it so much along with all of the honda civic Si's that cruise around my house all the damn time. soo irritating.

#103 ·
I have a flowmaster 40 under mine right now. If you dont have a header it sounds great!! nice and deep. The Header kind of gave it a high pitch that sounded ricer so i had some resonators added in and it sounds good again. ill actually be selling my exhaust in a couple of weeks cause im going to the 2.5 inch pipe

#99 ·
Okay i have a 2000 Focus SE and i just put a Flowmaster catback exhaust on the other day. At first it was kinda quiet but then i let the gas run out and put 93 grade gasoline in. It sounds a whole lot better but the downside is when i rev; the RPM's drop down and theres low popping or grumbling sound like a Honda with a 3.5 inch exhaust smh. My friend told me that i may be running rich; because i do have a huge problem with gas and i need to replace my plugs because the maintenance of this car wasn't done entirely before i bought it earlier this year. What by this what do you think my prob is?

what else could i do to boost performance after this. I also installed a Steeda CAI.
im trying to get to at least 250hp by this upcoming summer.

#101 ·
Hello. New to the focus world but coming from Hondas I know a bit about bolt one. I looked at the FSWerks race exhaust and it says it will work with a 2002 I have a
2002 and wanted to confirm that it works on my car before I drop the cash on it. Anyone know if it will work? This factory 110 Hp is killing me.

#106 ·
I live in Cali, so I need a CARB legal exhaust. If I go with FSWerks, I'll be forced to get the Street Cat-Back Exhaust. Does anyone know how the FSWerks Street Exhaust compares to the FSWerks Stealth and the FSWerks Race Exhaust? I had my heart set on the Race Exhaust, but it's not CARB legal, so I'm screwed there. But if the Street sounds at least similar to the Race, or even slightly more umph than the Stealth, I'd be interested. Any opinions?

#107 ·
I'm not really sure about Street vs Stealth vs Race. I just had the Street exhaust installed today and I honestly don't think I'd want it any louder. I found 2 videos of the street exhaust on Youtube:
Mine sounds more similar to the second one (doesn't pop at all though), a little louder than the first one. You can hear it, it's not quiet nor is it loud, it's most noticeable at lower speeds. If loud is what you want I understand there is a less expensive kit than the FSWERKS one that you may purchase.

#108 ·
Thanks for posting those. Yeah, I think I'd like something with a little more roar. Especially at mid-to-wide open throttle.

When you say you wouldn't want it any louder, do you mean from the outside of the vehicle (as in what others hear) or from within your vehicle (as it makes it gratting on the nerves to drive long distances)? My brother's GSR has a loud exhaust and it's extremely loud within the vehicle, even with the windows up. I don't want it THAT loud. But I want a head-turner for sure. :D

Don't they make a plug or something you can add or take off you exhaust to make it either louder or more quiet? Like, when you have it on, your noise is more reasonable, but when you take it off, you go into full on race mode noise levels?

#109 ·
I think what you're thinking of is a "resonator" and it's not a plug. From my understanding the resonator is the difference between the race and stealth FSWERKS exhaust. The sales tech on the phone said the street exhaust doesn't have a resonator because the 2nd cat muffles some of the sound.

When driving gently, I can hear it inside the vehicle with the windows up, but just barely. When cruising on the highway @70mph there is more wind noise than exhaust sound, it doesn't drone. You can hear it with the windows down/outside the vehicle just fine, it is louder than stock. To me, any louder would be annoying (I don't want to deal with a droning exhaust on long trips) and I don't want to draw the wrong kind of attention to myself.

I'd take some videos if it weren't so damn cold outside. But ask yourself this: Do you really want an exhaust that screams to law enforcement "Pull me over!"? Do you really want to be one of those guys whose car makes more noise than power?

Will it turn heads? Possibly, it's hovering just above 0*F so nobody is really spending time outside.

#117 ·
I have a whistle tip lol it doesn't sound all that bad. I'll take it out when I get the exhaust modded.
Dude.... NO! If you have a piece of metal welded into the end of your exhaust to make it whistle, ridicule will commence[bash] sorry buddy[rolleyes] As to your comment about cheap and the best, the old addage applies, you get what you pay for[thumb]

Darkspork, That they did. I just remember it was even on the news in oakland and I nearly cried I was laughing so hard[histerical]

Doomsday, cutouts are Y's welded into the exhaust after the header that allow the exhaust to be run through the muffler or basically straight piped for maximum flow/sound. They make them with everything from plates with wingnuts you can remove to a mechanical version where you pull a lever to open it up, they even make electric versions so you can push a button and it's loud as hell. This is very popular with ratrodders, hotrodders, drag racers so they can drive the vehicle on the street without violating noise ordinances (sp?) and still hear themselves think but once they get to the show or strip get max attention/noise and/or potentially max power by making it basically a header only system

#128 ·
I forgot to post his in here last week so here it is:

Guys beware of buying trubendz exhaust. i ordered the tubing in 2.5 inch and it required alot of modification from a local muffler shop to be welded in. They had to cut and test fit,cut and test fit, over and over until they got it to the correct fitment. The bends were off a little also so they just had to make it work for me.

I would NOT recommend purchasing a exhaust from trubendz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.