Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How To: EASILY remove Nite Shades

40K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  Pist0n 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I ended up Nite Shading my tails and they turned out a bit too dark for my liking. I had applied a few layers of clear over them as well, so I am dealing with multiple layers here. After going over, under, and around the intarwebs, I had decided the first route to take was to buy some plastic safe graffiti remover.

I bought Goof Off (not Goo Gone) and Motsenbocker's Lift Off - They definitely make the clear turn gooey, but it still seemed like too much of a chore. Mind you, I was impatient - so I only spent about 5 minutes with the sprays, lol. But I decided it would be more hassle than I cared for and I REFUSED TO SAND!!

So then .... I grabbed a new rag and a good ol' fashioned can of lawn mower gas. I laid the tail light down and poured the gas over an area and then on the rag and just laid into it a bit ... rubbing with a bit of pressure, nothing ridiculous, and it just came right off. I had the tail light back to it's original state, clear lense, not melted - in a matter of minutes. I'll be damned.

So there you have it. Screw buying anything.

DO NOT USE: Goof Off, Laquer thinner, graffiti remover, oven cleaner, alcohol (accept maybe at the end to do a final clean and remove residue), sand paper << that's just dumb.

DO USE: Gas and a rag.

Stay tuned for pics and/or video. Still have another light to strip.

See less See more
Reactions: @Focus
#28 ·
Ive used gas from the gitgo when wanting to redo my niteshade on my tails. Wouldn't use anything else, doesn't damage the tail light or anything. Little bit of elbow grease is all you need. Glad to see someone else does the same.

#29 ·
So you all know... If you're like me and prep didn't work on your fake plastic trim and you wanted dark chrome... Make sure to do a light wet sand with high grit... Then apply adhesive promoter... Then spray vht. I ended up not doing this and it came out bubbly.

After I ended up removing the Ford badge blue color on purpose :) I like the chrome badge. Next is the inside lettering to be painted.

#30 ·
Ive always used Carb Choke and Throttle Body cleaner. Comes with one of those little straws to spray through, and it literally starts coming off with each spray.
It pretty much slops right off the lights. Its kinda gross

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.