Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2008+ LED tail lights

55K views 176 replies 59 participants last post by  Ryokuro 
#1 ·
What do you guys think of these?
First time i've spotted them on ebay (they're not available on ebay.ca [rant])
Anybody actually gone ahead and bought/installed these? I've been looking for a swap for the tail lights to go with the swapped out headlights, but im not sure if this is the route to go.

It says its for 08+ 4 doors only, but no reason why it wouldnt fit on the coupe as well right?

See less See more
#92 ·
I still have these on my 08 and run them for long hours both day and night. They still work like new absolutely no problems. The resistors have not been replaced I think the resistors last a long time as long as you put them in a place that keeps them cool.

#97 ·
So disappointing. I finally got these installed this morning, and some of the LEDs don't work. Sigh.

I guess it's time to get replacements. At least I know how to install them now! Luckily the ebay seller should be able to RMA me a new set...hopefully.

Here are the pics of the LEDs that aren't working. It's a damn shame they didn't work - I really like these pictures (sorry if they're gigantic)!

#100 ·
As long as both sides match, they could spell out "I suck" and I wouldn't mind. But by the looks of it, at minimum the right light needs to be replaced.

#102 ·
i am going to avoid the head ache and do a one off. i want to do some light piping at the bottom of the housing and have it rap around the side. it would be clear during the day and red once the led's turned on. i would only have the stock bulb for the stop turn function.

since i cant get any photos to work on this site here is the link to a drawing of what i want to do. the piping would turn into and go thru the housing so that the leds wouldnt be seen. basically it is a straight angel eye.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65735427@N08/5998706813/in/photostream/

#105 ·
Nah, from what I've read, my set is an exception. Just make sure you buy them from a company with a decent return policy that won't charge you for return shipping in the event that they don't work.

I'm getting mine replaced for free (they sent me a shipping label), so the only thing I lost was some time. No big deal. Manufacturing defects happen!

#104 ·
I have had these lights installed on my 08 now for more than 2 years. So far they have worked just fine. I run them 8-9 hours during the day and 2-3 hours after dark.

#107 ·
They look great, but I'm a detail person. The 2008-2011, models, seem, more "Americanized", than the same model years, in Europe. Why does Ford do this?! It is a nice looking car, but the bumpers, are ugly, and so are the headlights. Also the biggest, and best engine= 2.3 duretech is gone for this model period, which sucks! Anyone else feel the same way?

#108 ·
save your money.. there's nothing spectacular about these LED tail lights. IMO they look cheap and after reading some post, looks like they have some burnt out LED from the package. Wait til' something better gets out or if you have the S or SE version, get the black outline Tail lights from the SES.

#109 ·
Not gonna lie, I have a feeling you'll be waiting for a few years (if not indefinitely) if you want new parts for the 08-11. The body style has been out for four full years and we only have one set of aftermarket headlights and one set of aftermarket tail lights available. And they're from the same manufacturer!

I mean...you can always retrofit, but since the body style has already changed to something new, I have a feeling that from a business perspective, making new products for a body style that's no longer in production is unlikely.

That said, I'd LOVE to be proven wrong. It's one of those instances where being wrong means you still win.

#110 ·
I have to say, after using these tail lights for 2 years without any trouble I find them to be a GREAT upgrade! They are much brighter than the stock bulbs, They light up faster meaning they are safer and other cars see your lights much better!. I have used these tail lights every day both day and night for more hours than I can count. If they ever failed I would not hesitate to buy another set. I still have the OEM set off my SES but I will never install the factory set on the car again.

#111 ·
Oh man...still waiting for CTR USA to send me replacements. Apparently they "forgot" to give me an RMA number to put on the box when I sent them back...so they accepted my package when it arrived, but put in their system that I haven't sent them back yet. WTF.

I have a feeling I'm about to get screwed out of my $175, which would be a terrible shame, since I really wanted these.

#115 ·
Yeah. In my case, I told them they have two days to figure out what they need to do in order to find the set of tail lights that I sent them. So if they can't figure it out, the tone of my communications will change drastically, and I'll be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. For their sake I hope they figure out where they put my tail lights :)

#117 ·
Well it looks like my stern email worked. They said they found the tail lights I sent back, and will be sending me replacements within the next day. I swear these better work or I'm going to be pissed! :mad:

#120 ·
My replacements showed up today! Thankfully I tested/installed them, and everything works just dandy. I did notice that the one LED that doesn't seem to work on all sets is actually filled in with some chrome. It's just strange that they would put that spot in there if they never intended on putting an LED in.

Ah, well. Eventually I'll cut into them to get the outer-rim-only LEDs to work with the parking lights, but MAN is it crowded in those housings. One second too long with a dremel and you'll cut one of the wires by accident. Yeesh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.