So now that my RS has arrived safely in my garage, I have been researching and plotting my tuning upgrade. I have spoken with several European tuners about their kits and interest and/or willingness to support an install in North America. Based on that I decided to go with Pumaspeed, due to their owner's, Tony, attitude, excitement, and support for the project and the fact that they can pretty much supply all the tuning components I am interested in. I talked with Karl at Massive Speed Systems, here in Chicagoland, and based on their experience, reputation, proximity, and enthusiasm I am going to have them do all the install and turning work. Here is my plan at present.
Massive Speed System
2304 Spring Ridge Dr.
Spring Grove, IL 60081
Tuning Components Supplier:
Unit 6 Evans Business Centre
Monckton Road Industrial Estate
Wakefield WF2 7AS
The upgrades planned are:
- Powdercoat wheels black gloss (will be done Friday)
- Pumaspeed Focus RS Mk2 Upgrade 400 Bhp
- Pumaspeed 'EURO' Phase 4 remap - (Speed limiter removed)
- Full Turbo Back De-Cat Exhaust System by MILLTEK SPORT
- ITG Air Filters Maxogen CAIS
- High Power Intercooler by PRO ALLOY - SILVER or BLACK version
- 625cc High Power Injector Set
- This conversion uses the existing OE Turbocharger
- 1 Milltek Sport Cat Back MotorSport Exhaust System
- 1 Milltek Sport Decat pipe
- 1 Milltek Sport 3 inch Down Pipe
- 1 High Power Intercooler - by Pro Alloy
- 1 ITG Filters MAXOGEN CAIS
- 1 Set of 5 625cc injectors
- 1 Pumaspeed 'EURO' Phase 4 ECU remap ( with 257kmh 6th gear limiter removed)
- AP Big Brake Front Kit:
- Full power stopping from the huge 362mm brake kit
- Genuine AP 6 Pot Calipers
- Genuine 362mm diameter discs
- Huge stopping power
- Does not affect the ABS/ESP system
- 2 AP Racing 6 Pot dust sealed calipers
- 2 AP Racing 362 x 32 12 grooved discs
- 1L AP Racing dot 5.1 brake fluid
- 2 braided front brake flexy lines (std lines will fit if braided lines already fitted)
- 2 Aluminum brake mounting brackets (anodized)
- 2 Aluminum bells (anodized)
- 1 set Ferrodo DS2500 brake pads
- Full fastener kit
- Fits the standard Mk2 Focus RS 19 inch wheels without the need for spacers
- KW Variant 3 Coil Over Suspension kit
- 100% Stainless Steel.
- 24 hrs Race Champion suspension with 10 class wins
- Fully N.Ring spec tested!
- As used on our own Demo Focus RS
- At last a fully adjustable suspension system for the FOCUS RS 2009. Not content with the limits of the New Focus RS Mk2 ,Pumspeed have been testing the new top of the line stainless steel variant 3 fully adjustable suspension system from KW. With testing sessions on the road ,track and infamous N-ring focusing on all aspects of handling we are happy to offer the most rounded suspension system for the new FOcus RS Mk2
- Lowering is adjustable anywhere from 10mm to 50mm
- We offer an additional geometry set up service with full Chassis Set up using new geometry settings front and rear to enhance the driving experience.
- KW are the Exclusive supplier to the Ford Motor Company's performance division for Ford Focus Suspension systems and components for FORD RACING !!
- High Power 6 Paddle Clutch
- Clutch to eliminate slipping over 400 bhp
- 6 paddles make for much smoother operation
- Genuine Ford cover plate from the Focus RS Mk2 2009
- Pumaspeed Sourced friction plate
- A new introduction from Pumaspeed. With power output reaching over 400 and soon the hit the 425 and with turbo kits 450 Pumaspeed have launched the New 6 paddle version clutch for the New Focus RS Mk2 2009. Built to handle power above 400bhp this unit has been designed to work with the existing hydraulic slave and Ford Dual Mass Flywheel to ensure an even smoother operation than the 5 paddle and solid flywheel versions.
- 400R Hybrid Turbo charger and FORGE ACTUATOR
- Ported to a higher degree including the collector throat.
- Balanced to the ultimate tolerance
- Billet aluminum Forge actuator for higher wastegate lift
- New specification 'Cut Back' turbine wheel for higher flow
- To fully realize the turbos potential the 625cc injectors and special mapping is essential
- SOLD ON EXCHANGE ONLY
- ONLY THE GENUINE 400R HAS THE FORGE ACTUATOR
- Pumaspeed has a history of offering the best Hybrid Turbochargers for many a Fast Ford.The focus RS Mk1 has a full range of GT26 all the way to the huge GT30.The Focus ST 225 has the very popular Hybrid KKK unit code named the 350RS which has been preferred by many German customers over their original Wolf 330 unit
- Building on this success Pumaspeed introduce the first generation Hybrid for the brand new 2009 Focus RS Mk2.
- Code named the 400R the new turbocharger has been optimized by the fitting of a higher specification 360 degree bearing, new compressor wheel and features the tried and tested 'Cut Back' to the turbine for more exhaust gas flow at high revs. A spokesman from the Pumaspeed turbo specialists believes this unit will flow a significantly more air than the standard Focus RS Mk2 unit and due to its higher balancing tolerance should spin up faster and hold strong boost at high revs.
- Working with several European Tuning specialists Pumaspeed have developed this new unit to work in the power range 400-425 bhp at very high Autobahn speeds.Testing on standard turbo unit with Phase 2 EURO mapping (OE injectors) have shown the car bouncing off the rev limiter.
- As with the very popular Focus ST350RS turbo this new 400R unit is uprated to cope with sustained high boost operation and high load of Autobahn high speed testing. Autobahn speed runs have seen Speeds up to the rev limiter in 6th Gear 265kmh (170mph).
- This new unit will be tested with the new 400R mapping with speed limiter removed and 625cc injector scaling which should see speeds over 175mph.
- Dyno runs have seen power at 403 bhp and over 600nm of torque.
- My install of the Pumaspeed 400R Turbo is on hold for right now while their supplier catches up with demand, but we will swap it out later this summer
That's my plan, I look forward to hearing anyone's input, feedback, and advice on my plan, although do me a favor and spare me the "don't touch it, leave it in pristine condition" comments. I buy my cars to drive them and drive them hard, and love to "improve" them. I'll leave it to others to buy, own, and store them in mint condition as unique collectible icons.
Many thanks in advance,