Attention 2008-2010 Focus owners

119K views 116 replies 58 participants last post by  Sky Pilott 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a problem and look what I found:

TSB
10-8-5 CLICK/POP NOISE FROM FRONT END WHILE TURNING OR GOING OVER BUMPS

Publication Date: April 27, 2010

FORD: 2008-2010 Focus

This article supersedes TSB 09-18-2 to update the Service Procedure, Service Labor Time Standards and Part List.

ISSUE:
Some 2008-2010 Focus vehicles may exhibit a click/pop type noise from the front end while turning and/or driving over bumps, or a creak/squeak noise from front when driving over bumps. The noise may be isolated to front stabilizer bar end links, front upper strut bearing area, and/or lower control arm.

ACTION:
Follow the service procedure to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
Install Chassis Ear JSP97202 in the Rotunda Technician Tool Program or equivalent to identify and isolate the source of the noise.
Drive the vehicle over moderate bumps and perform left and right turns.
If a click/pop noise is coming from front stabilizer bar end link(s), proceed to Step 3.
If a click/pop noise is from upper strut bearing area, go to Step 4.
If a creak/squeak type noise is coming from a lower control arm, go to Step 5.
Front stabilizer bar end link click/pop noise.
Is vehicle built on or before 1/11/2010?
Yes - remove and install four (4) revised stabilizer bar end link nuts per Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 204-01; torque to 46 lb-ft (63 N-m).
No - replace affected stabilizer bar end link(s) per WSM, Section 204-01; torque nuts to 46 lb-ft (63 N-m).
Upper strut bearing click/pop noise.
Is vehicle built on or between 10/01/2007 and 10/31/2007?
Yes - replace upper strut bearing per WSM, Section 204-01; torque nuts to 30 lb-ft (40 N-m).
No - proceed to Step 3b.
Is vehicle built on or before 11/30/2008?
Yes - inspect the three (3) upper strut mount nuts for signs of looseness. Torque nuts to 30 lb-ft (40 N-m).
No - replace suspect strut per WSM, Section 204-01; torque upper nuts to 30 lb-ft (40 N-m).
Lower control arm creak/squeak noise.
Replace the affected lower control arm per WSM, Section 204-01.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
9S4Z-3078-A Lower Control Arm - Right Hand
9S4Z-3079-A Lower Control Arm - Left Hand
9S4Z-18124-C Front Strut - Right Hand, w/ Rear Stabilizer Bar
9S4Z-18124-E Front Strut - Right Hand, w/o Rear Stabilizer Bar
9S4Z-18124-D Front Strut - Left Hand, w/ Rear Stabilizer Bar
9S4Z-18124-F Front Strut - Left Hand, w/o Rear Stabilizer Bar
8S4Z-18198-A Strut Bearing
AS4Z-5K484-AA Front Stabilizer Bar End Link
W-713760-S440 Nut - Stabilizer Bar Link

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
100805A 2008-2010 Focus: Includes Diagnosing With Chassis Ears And Road Test, Labor Operation Should Be Claimed With B, C, D, E, F Or G (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 0.8 Hr.
100805B 2008-2010 Focus: Replace Four (4) Stabilizer Bar End Link Nuts Or Stabilizer Bar End Links, Labor Operation Can Be Claimed With A, C, D, E, F And G (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 0.2 Hr.
100805C 2008-2010 Focus: Replace One (1) Upper Strut Bearing Or Strut Assembly, Labor Operation Can Be Claimed With A, B, E, F, And G (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 0.5 Hr.
100805D 2008-2010 Focus: Replace Both (2) Sides Upper Strut Bearings Or Strut Assemblies, Labor Operation Can Be Claimed With A, B, F And G (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 0.8 Hr.
100805E 2008-2010 Focus: Tighten Both (2) Sides Upper Strut Bearing Retainers, Labor Operation Can Be Claimed With A, B, F And G (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 0.1 Hr.
100805F 2008-2010 Focus: Replace One (1) Lower Control Arm, Labor Operation Can Be Claimed With A, B, C, D And E (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 0.3 Hr.
100805G 2008-2010 Focus: Replace Both (2) Sides Lower Control Arms, Labor Operation Can Be Claimed With A, B, C, D, E And F (Do Not Use With Any Labor Operations Outside Of This Article) 0.4 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
3B438 24

See less See more
#5 ·
The front end had rattling sounds. It happened to my '00 ZTS. When it started happeneing, i thought the wheel was loose or even possibly the brakes, but took it to the dealership and had them check it out. It turns out both of the factory sway bar links were shot.....not even 25k miles (car has 27k on it now after 1 1/2 years)

#7 ·
They do this even if the car goes out of the bumper to bumper warranty right?

I don't have any of said issues yet though. Hopefully it stays that way.
Mine was built late september 09 and now has 31000 miles

I did replace the passenger side front endlinks because of it being busted and making noises at 20k something. Used MOOGs on both sides.

#10 ·
I got them for $22 a piece on amazon
Theyre still good

I just got a new creaking noise at sub 5mph speed driving
Oh9Focus says the ebrake cable needs to be lubed so I'll get that done when I figure out how and see if that makes it go away

#11 · (Edited)
I am getting the popping noise going over bumps from the front left but not while turning. Thank you so much for posting this. I will print this out so when I go to Ford I don't get that "We can't find anything wrong" response I was expecting I was going to get.

#12 ·
Thank you for this. Next time I drive im going to pay attention to this. Going to hit up the local dealer(stealer)ship to get it checked out.

#13 ·
I'm getting the creaking/popping noise while turning into my driveway, or backing out from it. It has a very slight lip, compared to the street. I always back-out/enter very slowly, but the creak/pop persists, since new. Now has 5K miles, problem not getting any better.

It also creaks/pops while turning from stops, either left or right turns, slightly bumpy road surface.

I also have two internal (cabin) issues that are really pissing me off; something is resonating under the dash at exactly 1500 RPM, on cold start. It disappears when the engine has warmed-up. The other issue is the passenger side upper seat belt pillar mount (which is vertically adjustable) rattling intermittently.

I bought a new Focus SE in '09, which I turned-in at a loss, because of major drivetrain/brake issues, and now my new '10 is having issues albeit different than the '09.

I'm done with with U.S. Focus. No more for me. YMMV. Good luck.

Charles

#14 ·
My car is at the dealership getting my front left Upper Strut assembly replaced! Thanks again for posting this. Advised them of service bulletin when I dropped it off and they gave me zero issues.

#15 ·
I have problems with my suspension squeaking/popping. The dealership i've been taking it to (one I got it from) keeps lubing it up, which works for about 3 days. I'm tired of this, and i'm so glad I found this! Off to another dealership to have them do something about this!

As far as the rest of my car goes, the transmission pisses me off (tune time or let the torque converter keep on slipping the way it likes to?), and the piece of plastic next to the passenger seatbelt--on the _ pillar, rattles like woah. I just have to mash it back into place, and all is good for a week or so. Annoying, but the car is still nice :x

I've been considering redoing the suspension because of the squeak/pop...and of course the typical bolt ons. Too bad I got the extended warranty...

#16 ·
If you haven't started the extended warranty you can return it. My brother in law returned his because he started modding his F-150.

#17 ·
oh yeah, i get to go after ford!!!

ive had this practically since the day i got my car... they blamed it on my aftermarket wheels though...

so is this technically a recall? and they have to fix it if your under 36000 right? for freeee?

#18 ·
It's a service bulletin. They recognize there is a problem with either design or assembly. Print out the bulletin off the OP and take it to them. They should cover it free.

#19 ·
good find dont think thay will fix mine because I have lowering springs and 17x7in rims not the 15x6 like stock ones. when I put on my stock rims it goes away dont know what it is.

#20 ·
My 2010 SES comes stock with 17" wheels. Wheels shouldn't matter.

However, the lowering springs could be a problem with getting them to cover anything.

#21 ·
ya that sucks but I like working on my own car anyways. Its a plus when you have the tool to do so thanks to my wife for letting me buy them for the past 21 years.

#22 ·
this was doing it on my 08 left side, took it in and they fixed it after i took a rep for a drive and let them listen to waht it was doing, well it started doing it on my right side BEFORE i installed my drop, now i am afraid to take it in and have them do it on the right side because of the suspension... anyone know if they would do it after the suspension?

#26 ·
It was around 3k I believe. Believe it or not it is doing it again. I need to take another trip back to the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.