Focus Fanatics Forum banner

The "Official" Suspension Thread

1M views 185 replies 102 participants last post by  Strangewingz 
#1 ·
I was bored, so I put this together. Perhaps a sticky from the mods?

Here you will find everything you need to know about aftermarket suspensions for the Ford Focus. Spring rates, ride heights, impressions on the suspension, prices, pictures, etc...

If you own an SVT, subtract about .75" from the ride height drop, as the SVT comes lowered from the factory.

Please PM me if you find any errors or have things to add that I missed. Thanks.

Items listed like this with all available information.

Brand:
Rate:
Drop:
Approximate Price:
Impressions:
Pictures:

Full Suspension Kits

SVT

F: 129 lb/in
R: 157 lb/in

.75"

$245+

Very good daily driven set-up. Tends towards understeer, but that can be dialed out. Not that large of a drop, but great compromise of comfort and handling.

Eibach Pro-System:

F: 137 lb/in
R: 171 lb/in

1.5"

$489+ (Pro-System Plus includes Eibach Anti-Sway Bars)

A slight step up from the SVT kit, still a little understeery, but another great compromise of daily driving and good handling. Covers most people's needs in the ride, drop, and handling departments.

With 18's:

Eibach Sport-System

F: 131~262 lb/in
R: 102~171 lb/in

2"

$425+

The drop gives a great looking stance with 17" wheels and the right size tires. Big improvement of handling is easily noticed compared to stock setup. Not too stiff, not too loose some consider it just right. Add some other suspension parts (sway bars, strut bar, etc...), and you're all set for an excellent ride. Tire choice is important, as some of the larger 16" and 17" tire sizes will rub without fender modification.

H&R Cup Kit

Somewhere in the 200's.

2.75"

$625+

Very extreme drop, and a rather stiff ride. Not for those in search of comfort. However, I had this kit for about 6 months and I loved every minute of it. It was extremely well balanced, looked amazing, and wasn't too rough. It does require either low profile tires or fender modification to avoid tire rubbing, however. With an H&R Rear Sway Bar to compliment it, this kit simply rotated. Felt like RWD at times.

Koni Sport Kit

Unknown

1.6"

$600+

I do not know much about this kit, other than that it costs the exact same amount of money as
brand new Koni shocks and struts, without the springs. Also, the Koni shocks and struts are adjustable, which means they can be soft for daily driving, and you can turn them up for racing.

KW Sport-Kit

Unknown

F: 1.75"
R: 1.5"

$600+

Springs
(I suggest that when you lower your focus you also buy some matching dampers for the springs you purchase, if you do not purchase a kit)

Eibach Pro-Kit

F: 137 lb/in
R: 171 lb/in

1.5"

$230+

Eibach Sportline

F: 131~262 lb/in
R: 102~171 lb/in

2"

$220+

Eibach Goldline

F: 140
R: 170

1.5"

Tein S-Tech

F: 157 lbs/in
R: 179 lbs/in

F: 2.3"
R: 2"

$186+

Progress

F: 142 lb/in
R: 160 lb/in

1.8"

$145+

H&R Sport

Progressive

1.4"

$201+

H&R Race

F: 325 lb/in
R: 375 lb/in

F: 2"
R: 1.7"

$215+

Apex

F: 150lb/in
R: 200lb/in

Come in both a 1.5" and 2" drop.

$159 for 1.5" drop, $109 for 2" drop

1.5" drop:

2" drop:

Vogtland

F: 125~154
R: 165~188

1.5"

$160+

Intrax

F: 225~275 lb/in
R: 275~325 lb/in

1.5"

$170+

Sprint

Progressive

1.8"

$150+

With 18's:

FK Sport

Unknown

Available in 35-45mm (~1.5") and 60-40mm (~2") drops.

$165+

35-45 drop:

60-40 drop:

Dampers

Eibach Pro-Damper

Ford Racing

Koni

KYB AGX

Gaz

Spax V-Sport
(Great non-adjustable damper for lowering springs. Inexpensive substitute to the more expensive adjustable dampers. Work great on almost all lowering springs.)

Spax TA Adjustable

Coilover Kits
(All coilovers offer adjustable heights, from almost stock, to slammed to the ground)

H&R

F: 370~460 lb/in
R: 260 lb/in

$1,000+

Believed by most track racers to be the best budget, daily driver set-up for the Focus. EXTREMELY well balanced and corners on rails. Doesn't offer dampening adjustability, but all things considered, doesn't really need it, the dampers are perfect.

H&R PCS

F: 370~460 lb/in
R: 260 lb/in

$1,500+

Same thing as the regular coilovers, only with dampening adjustability.

Tein Super Street

F: 280-504lb/in
R: 392lb/in

$1,280+

Ground Control

Customizable

$600+

Ground Control Coilovers come as springs only, and require you to get dampers. The best off-the-shelf match are Konis, however, to truly work correctly, they should be shortened and revalved.

Gaz

Customizable

$1,035+

Spax

Unknown, over 500.

$945+

Bilstein PSS9

F: 370lb/in + 145lb/in helper spring
R: 285lb/in

$1,400+

FK Highsport

F: 400 lb/in
R: 343 lb/in

$1,000+

Eibach Pro-Street

F: 250~350
R: 350~400

$1,050+

KW Variant

Unknown

http://www.kw-suspension.com/en/30_..._1=Focus&level=3&hersteller_1=FORD&gruppe=all

Variant 1:

With 18's:

Leda

Customizable

http://www.leda.com/

Sway Bars

ZX3/ZX5:
F: 21mm
R: 20mm

SPI/S/SE:
F: 18mm
R: None (All 2005 Focuses except for the ST and SES came without a rear sway bar and will require custom fabricated mounts to use one. Here is a nice example of how to do it: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2131030023&idx=1)

SVT/S2/Street Edition/ST/SES:
F: 21mm
R: 21mm

H&R:
F: 24mm $185
R: 24mm $180

Eibach $275:
F: 22mm
R: 25mm

Intrax $240:
F: 22mm
R: 25mm

Progress $120:
R:22mm

Steeda Race $290:
F: 25mm
R: 28.6mm

Suspension Techniques $160:
R: 21mm R or 22mm (listed as 7/8" which is 22.2mm)

Addco:
F: 22.2mm (7/8") $160
R: 22.2mm (7/8") $160

F2:
F: Endlinks $125 ($85 without bushings)
R: 25.4mm $149

Camber Adjustment Kits

Specialty Products Front Camber Plates

Progress Camber Kit

Eibach Rear Camber Bolts

K-Mac Camber Plates

Stress Bars

FocusSport

Focus-Central

List last updated 10/9/05.

Merge

See less See more
#60 ·
cool, thanks... what about GR2s with stock SVT springs? is even the .75" drop too much?

I know kids on the prelude forum have dropped the gr2s 1.5", but I was even ambivalent about dropping my agxes 1.7" in the front (as they advertised a max drop of 1.5")... my motorsports shop (blueridge motorsports) assured me it would be okay... so far, after two years, they have been right!

again, I appreciate the info... I'm enjoying the forum... gives me something to do since I dont have any money, lol...

#62 ·
That too was my reasoning... because we test drove an SVT and then bought an ST I noticed the change in handling... I liked it and planned to put the SVT parts on my car (some amazing ebay deals...), but wanted to get a little more feedback before deciding.

just as good at lower cost = count me in.

Thanks!

#76 ·
teh eibach suspension kit is not a cheap/crap kit.

is it less than coilovers? yes

does eibcah make a good qaulty kit? yes

if you are not racing/ autox your car is there really a NEED for coilovers or adjustables

#77 ·
H&R beats the shit our of eibach suspensions any day of the week.

I had Koni adjustable shocks with H&R race springs on the last car, an you talk about go cart handling.......well that had it hands down. go threw eibach springs alone an figure out which set has springs rates that are 325 front an 375 rear or higher for our car.

eibach makes soft "user comfort" suspensions for everyday drivers.

the last time i talked to tony at newedgeperformance.com he told me to stay away from eibach because half the time the don't honor there warranty.

#78 ·
I have eibachs and htey are wonderful, no i don't race/auto-x my car (don't have great dampers yet....... ) but they so far hold up great. only been on about a month. but hey for 200 they aren't bad for just a looks car.

#86 ·
i got eibach for mine, im running stock dampers at the moment and have had no problems and i have pushed mine...... b4 winter i need to get a set. very easy to change. jsut make sure you take your time. mine took almost 3 days because i worked all day and worked on them a little at night..... but its pretty easy

#89 ·
just add your sway bars strut bars and you should be good with a nice spring/damper setup.... if you do start have fun! im hopefully starting in the spring!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.