Focus Fanatics Forum banner

CAI or SRI?

8K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  sailor 
#1 ·
I know a bit about the differences between a cold air intake, and a short ram intake, but I want some people's input who have experienced either or!

I am driving an '03 Duratec, and i currently have a Magnaflow 2.25" cat-back exhaust. Will either intake change the exhaust note, or will I only notice a difference in intake noise?

Also, I know the SRI's are prone to heat-soak, where the air warms up during city stop-and-go driving, and causes poor acceleration. I do a lot of city driving, will I really notice this a lot, or not so much? We do have pretty hot summers here.

I know CAI's can get waterlogged, or even suck water into the engine, how likely is this to happen? I live in western NY and we get a fair share of rain, and lots of snow and slush in the winter. I don't want to mess up my engine.

I want the intake that is the MOST practical, I know they each have their pros and cons, but what is the best way to go??

Insert opinions here! :)

#2 ·
i would say to go with a cai, i myself am going to do a cai soon but i need the money hah. yes the water can be sucked into the engine causing the dreaded hydro lock but you could order or build a box/ protector to keep the water out.! i remember that someone on this forum had a thread showing his custom built cai water protector. i can't remember his profile name at the moment but yea, you can build one.

#3 ·
I will have to take a look around for it. I do like 50/50 highway and city driving, so that heatsoak problem with a short ram would get real annoying.. I just really really really can't afford to have my engine hydrolocked! If I can shield it though, then I think that's what I will do!

Know any good CAI's? I know a dealer around here that said he can get me a decent price on an AEM, are they any good?

#4 ·
People are scared of hydrolocking, but it's really not that easy to do. You really need to submerge it or hit a HUGE puddle. I have a CAI and went through Canadian winters and heavy rain with it, no issues what so ever. I switched from an SRI to a CAI because I got heatsoak one day, my car was bogging hard.

Go check out http://focussport.com/coolflo.htm They have great parts and their CAI is of great quality.

#5 ·
if you have the factory bottom splash guard no need to worry, unless you dunk the car in standing water ordrive through a flooded street where the water is about 1/2 tires high :D

#6 ·
a lot of city driving like you do in hot summers may cause more of an issue then hydro locking, hydro locking isn't as easy as others make it out to be. the splash gaurd under your car will be just fine for driving in the rain and slush. the little water that hits the filter will be dried before it even hits the internals.
my cai has been great no problems yet and we get a ton of snow and a fair amount of rain. no problems at all. just don't floor it in the middle of a lake! lol

fswerks has a sweet CAI also you can get there old version (focus sport cool flo) for even cheaper, it uses the same filter as the new one. F2 also offers a CAI haven't heard much on that one though.

you could always do the stealth CAI at first to save some cash.. i'd personally go with the CAI if i had to pick from a sri or an cai.
cleaning the filter on a CAi is a little more work, you gotta get under the car to get it off. sri can be taken off just by popping the hood.

#13 ·
I think the difference between a CAI and a SRI are more personal preference than anything. Having had both at different times, I can't say I have noticed any difference between the two, performance-wise. If I were You, I'd go ahead and get that one in the link before someone else does, and that won't take long at that price...

#14 ·
I wish I could, but I am so strapped for cash right now that I don't really have the option.. =/

I think I will be going with a CAI, but thanks for the advice! It sounds like there isn't a ton of differences, but performance-wise, I think it seems like I may have better luck with cold air, especially if it really is that unlikely to suck in water.

I am looking around at AEMs and FSwerks ones. I wish steeda would make one for a Duratec! Their intakes look great, but they only make them for Zetec..

#25 ·
I would not do exactly what Taylor did to that MAF tube. Just buy a couple of spacers and keep the MAF tube in one piece. I have a 07 and I ran the filter and tube into the hole left from removing that stupid air box.
If you remove the boot from the intake manifold, drop the filter straight down the boot will make the bend back to the intake. Just don't run the filter below the facia. My vehical also has 2 cooling fans down there. I don't think heat soak will be a problem. I have driven in alot of extremly heavy rain this winter and have had no trouble.
Also, I am getting 20 to 25 more miles per tank and the performance increase is noticable. I get on it whenever I can, my wife says it's noticable and my 18 year old loves to drive it now . I drive almost exactly 50/50 highway and city.
I paid $27 for the Spectra filter and it came with all the necessary spacers.
You may want to buy a better filter. Measure for correct size first. Also, you can bend the existing bracket to hold the system in place.
If a CAI system for $250 will get you 10 times this performance I would be the first in line to get one. I think a $50 K&N should get you there.

No offence to anyone, just my opinion and experience.

#26 ·
Air Filter Replacement

I have a 07 and I ran the filter and tube into the hole left from removing that stupid air box.

I paid $27 for the Spectra filter and it came with all the necessary spacers.
You may want to buy a better filter. Measure for correct size first. Also, you can bend the existing bracket to hold the system in place.
I think a $50 K&N should get you there.
No offence to anyone, just my opinion and experience.
I have an 06 and am looking to do something similar.
I have 98.5k on it and do 100 mi/day for work, 80% highway driving.
I am starting to notice less pickup when getting on the highway and a noticable roar from the air intake.
I was under the car Sunday to rotate the tires and was looking at the air box, is it possible to remove both boxes (engine compartment and fender) and install the Spectre or K&N filter directly where the inside box gets removed??
The car has been so reliable I have not messed with it much, but now want to do a few tweaks. The air box has a broken mount from a deer running into the fender last month so doing a replacement will eliminate that from rattling.

I am sure cleaning the maf sensor will help some also.

Where did you pick up the filter kit? A quick look online for the local places found the filter but without any adapters?

tnx.

#27 ·
I wasn't a kit. It was just a spectra filter. The spacers were in the filter neck. I got it at a local SC store. You should be able to get it just about anywhere.
Take a look in the box. I can't remember what size I bought. You can also get adapters off the shelf.
I bought a rather large cone shaped one because I was going to route a DIY CAI. changed my mind when I took a good look. Defineitly measure and get a smaller tube shaped filter. You should be able to push forward into the fasica a little. I changed the poition of my horn so I could get the filter into the fascia more.
I did not want to destroy the MAF tube in case I wasn't happy with the results.
I just drove around today in a good size rain storm and hit alot of puddles. I found no ill effects.
I took a look and not muchwater splashes into that area.

Yes, you can remove everything. There are DIY instructions at the top of this form for a stealth setup that explains how to remove everything.

#28 ·
I wasn't a kit. It was just a spectra filter. The spacers were in the filter neck. Take a look in the box. I can't remember what size I bought. You can also get adapters off the shelf..
Ok, one of the local places lists them online so I'll drop by and see what they have on the shelf.
I bought a rather large cone shaped one because I was going to route a DIY CAI. changed my mind when I took a good look. Defineitly measure and get a smaller tube shaped filter. You should be able to push forward into the fasica a little. I changed the poition of my horn so I could get the filter into the fascia more..
I figure after looking at the CAI kits that a good piece of Industrial grade PVC pipe and some fittings should duplicate the pipe you buy for at least $100, add a strap to bolt it to the existing mount, maybe a couple hose clamps and your good at less than half the price.

I did not want to destroy the MAF tube in case I wasn't happy with the results..
Ditto here, I want to be able to put it back just in case.

Yes, you can remove everything. There are DIY instructions at the top of this form for a stealth setup that explains how to remove everything.
Ok, will have a look at that. I have time to read as the rest of the week here in CT is going to be crummy to say the least.

tnx, Mike.

#29 ·
I have an automatic and it did not like a 90deg bend in the tubing right before the intake manifold. I reconfigured it 3 diferent ways. I even gutted the piping fron the inner air box and it did not like that bend either. that's why i went with the short ram intake.
I also read a thread a while back not to use PVC and I can't remember why.You might want to look for that.
Good luck.

#30 ·
Ok, I'll check on the PVC thing.

I have an automatic also.

I had another thought, has anybody gutted the original filter, pulled out the stuffing, then put a cone filter on the top??
From what I remember there is some type of cap on the top that has some rubber straps, I am sure a cone filter could be put on there if the box was empty.
I have to wait for better weather, got 4 bad days ahead, just got home in an inch of snow...arrgh.

#31 ·
I did the same, with the Spectre filter.
Worked great until I started experiencing the heat lock and poor acceleration.
Sorry to everyone who disagree but, I picked up an Ebay CARB exempt 2.5" CAI and replaced the wire mesh cone filter it came with, for a K&N cone, had to use the handy spacers that came with the Spectre.
Noticed a great improvement through the bar but best at higher RPM. vs. the SRI seemed better at lower RPM. It tucks in pretty solid above the splash guard and in front of the wheel well. 01 SE.

#32 ·
what year did this splash guard start coming on the focus?...i want one! i had to make one, but a factory one would be key

#34 ·
I found a really cheap CAI online, threw it on the car, and it definitely made a difference. It did set the CEL on though, I have yet to fix that, I'm going to stop at Autozone tonight to find out what code it's throwing. I only paid 60 bucks for it, so I wasn't expecting much, although being that it's wayy better than stock, I will be investing in a quality one soon. My inspection isn't up until December, so I have plenty of time to get it resolved.

#35 ·
CAI FTW!!! UNLESS you live in an area that is prone to flooding like my Houston members.

#36 ·
So I went to have my car checked to find out what my check engine light was on for, and it said all 3 of my O2 sensors were bad, and that my engine was running too lean!! This is ridiculous! I can't afford to replace all those, is there a chance it has to do with the intake rather than the sensors themselves? I can't imagine it being anything else, I mean how would they all go at once??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.