Focus Fanatics Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sad day for this bird....

22K views 216 replies 48 participants last post by  focusin 
#1 ·
And it's owner!

Took my car down to the local 1/8 mile (sunshine speedway) and a dude in a smokey and the bandit firebird kept hounding me to race him in his firebird after seeing me beat a couple differen't cars... He had his girlfriend and her gf with him so I guess he felt the need to try to show off how powerful his V8 firebird is...

That or I guess to try to compensate for something else! LOL!

Please excuse the language in the video... it was just funny beating this guy and getting it on film at the same time... He had been talking alot of smack all night so this was just a perfect way to end the night... He just couldn't believe he got beat by a focus and ended up leaving the track immediately after... I asked him if he wanted to watch the video and he said "F YOU!" LOL...

#98 ·
At moroso there was a guy running one is bracket racing. Dialed in at 19.xx and hit it every time. The slowest car can win LOLz.

Plus, we are also talking runs in August here....high humidity and temps in FL....kill times.

I went back and looked at my fastest 15.9xx at 86 or 87 mph run in the zetec section. 10.289 1/8 at 69 mph. I only gained another 15 mph in the second half the track, but compeletly different engine and power band.

#104 ·
again, im not trying to say you didnt beat that firebird...

but if the car was a 305, you just shouldnt have pulled on him like you did. if you had ran a sub 10sec 1/8, maybe, but it was a mid 10 sec 1/8 at 56mph. thats really slow. my stock 305 camaro ran 68mph in the 1/8 and posted a 10.2 E/T. again, the car you ran, if it had even the base 305, had 20 more hp than mine. a 10.6 car just wouldnt put 4+ lengths on a TBI 305

i know you said it was a V8 cause you heard his exhaust, but honestly, the 305s had a pathetic exhaust note (even with catbacks) that could easily be confused for a V6. just food for thought, take a listen to this sound clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyI414NxpYo. most people wouldnt think that was a V6... but it is. very lopey and deep sounding exhaust right there

the fact that he refused to pop his hood also leads me to believe he didnt want to be caught in his lie. unless that 305 was completely clapped out, which it probably wasnt cause you said it sounded nice, i just cant see a 10.6 focus putting that much distance on a car that should run almost the same E/T and mph as you

maybe ill take my DD 86' V6 firebird down to the track soon and try to line up with a stocker focus. ill film him pulling away from me and compare it to your video. id bet theyd be similar. but until then i guess well have to agree to disagree...

i really dont know what to say about the LT1... those are low 14/high 13 sec cars and trap around 100mph bone stock. i dont know how a focus, even on its assumed best case scenario run of low 15s, could beat one of those cars. thats a huge gap in the performance of the two vehicles... it should have put buslengths on you from any speed. your races have me scratching my head...

#109 ·
Either way!

I'll get some more vids and times posted the next time I head out to the track... I'll have my buddy in the LT1 come out with his car... and I'll see... Even after I whooped his ace... I'll see if my friend that knows the guy with the firebird can bring it out... (not to race) but just so that I can take a pic of his engine so that I can show to everybody that I beat a dog piss slow 305 and that it wasn't a v6...

that way we can all think of other reasons as to why those races shouldn't have ended the way they will even though I will have pics and video to prove!

Sound good?

Until then... I appreciate all the "nice Kill" comments and the thanks for sharing... Of course this was only my first time at the track so I hope to share more kills in the future especially as I mod my car more... So it's "not so stock" anymore! [burnout]

Of course it was really fun! and also very addicting since I can't wait for another one of these events to come up at the track! [:D]

#113 ·
the next time I head out to the track... I'll have my buddy in the LT1 come out with his car... and I'll see... Even after I whooped his ace...

Sound good?
actually, you should find a different LT1 car to run cause your buddies is sooo out of whack, it was beaten by your 15 sec car. normally, it would take either N2O or boost added to a focus to beat one, but since it didnt in your case, id look for one that was running right so you can get a better idea of the capability of the LT1 motor

if any focus owners around the DE/PA/NJ/MD area want to find out first hand what LT1s can do, id be glad to show them [:D]

#114 ·
fbodies were actually built to handle quite well, especially the WS6 and SS versions, and id be willing to bet stock for stock would outhandle a focus in an autocross course. what kind of skidpad #s do focus's pull stock?

btw - i dont own a camaro [;)]

#111 ·
A few bone stock SVTs... and remember this is just a 2.0L... have ran 14.9's. It's not an across-the-board type of scenario and you need to have someone who knows how to launch, but it's been done, and not just once. It's the same story with the ST... they've run low 15's a number of times.

#112 ·
Very true!! and even with a couple bolt-on's here and there it only makes it that much easier... and these Duratecs respond to them quite well...

I feel very confident with my driving that under better more prepared conditions on a cleaner track I could run low 15's in the 1/4 mile easily...

#121 ·
I would for sure take the oppurtunity to race another auto LT1 firebird... I'm not saying Firehawk or any of that other stuff like the SS... but a Bone stock... 93-95 formula firebird auto like my friends with the LT1...
you should, cause there is seriously something wrong with your friends car. my ex's 94' Formula went 14.0 at 100mph, stock, with her driving. btw, the SS and Firehawk versions of the LT1 4thgen were only 20hp stronger... not much difference
I would be pissed if I was driving a LT1 v8 and some kid just F'ing beat me in a focus with just an intake and 3.4L's less than me! ... Much like my friend was...
if that scenario did happen, the LT1 must only be on half its cylinders or have a blown head gasket or something. how does a low 14 sec car lose to a low 15 sec car?
But if I Win... even if it's by only a little... It would be straight up hilarious...
i cant imagine why you really think your car is the quicker automobile, or actually has a chance against a LT1 car. you may have won ONE race, but didnt a red flag go off in your head as to "why"? you are aware of the specs on both, as well as their performance, right? id love to hear your explaination of why a car thats a whole second and 10mph quicker in the 1/4 lost to your Focus

#122 ·
repaste that link, its not working, thanks.

And skid is different than slalom, lots of cars (especially rwd) will have a higher skid g than slalom. Slalom takes into account transitions in tight and close proximity. Plus, the z06, ws6, etc are more tuned for longer, faster cornering, not tight and agile corners like a slalom.

#123 ·
FINALLY. Found the article.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=57200/pageId=13489

and for those not wanting to clicky...

"The SVT blasted through our 600-foot slalom at 68.2 mph. Not only was it faster than the Civic and New Beetle, its slalom speed was higher than that of cars like the Chevy Corvette Z06, BMW M3 and Subaru Impreza WRX."

Now, I will say a z06 would hand my car a serious ass kicking in any type of race other than a tight coursed auto-x.

Anyway, I'm done comparing apples to oranges and wrong wheel drive (fwd) to right wheel drive (rwd).

#125 ·
would you guys give it a rest already. i seriously just glanced over a few PAGES of this and im sick of it already. he beat a firebird that may or may not have been v8 at the track by a crap ton. who cares if it should or should not have happened. maby his car was sick. maby he just felt like giving the focus a chance. maby he just sucked that bad as a driver. who flipping cares? ive beaten alcohol powered mustang cobras at the strip before right along with twin turbo 300Z's boasting 800rwhp, and once i beat a vette that pulled a wheelie nearly half a track. guess what? every time i won one of those the other guy had a really really bad day. mustang blew off the intake when he was 2 stepping at the line. 300z broke an axle. corvette landed too hard and smacked the wall (also resulting in my slowest time ever but i still won). so guess what? i can talk smack too.

lol i just wanted to say all that. now im done hehehe

#126 ·
If you didn't read the entire thread, you're missing the fact that the smack talk has died down somewhat and has become a bit more civilized. But your sig makes me want a snacky cake. [:D]

tpivette: I'd take that bet if I had a stock Focus. Seriously. [:)]

#130 ·
Hey DJ my bad i ment i would of went with you (this is back on page 4) but call me up sometime i like to go to the street racing nights at sunshine and if you wann go out to some streetraces saturday night or bridge runs sunday just call me there are plenty of camaros and other chebbies to kill :) send me a pm and ill give ya my number

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.