Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How-To: Shorten your shift throw with stock MTX shifter

44K views 97 replies 49 participants last post by  BradKPed 
#1 ·
Let me start by saying I didn't invent this DIY mod. It's discussed a bit in the STS sticky, and the first reference made to it was by Buickboy so I want to make sure he gets his fair credit. The sticky is rather vague as far as what's involved and I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere so I decided to do a write up on it. Many of you may know of this already but since it's so easy and free it should be readily availabe for people who want a shorter throw but can't or don't want to spend money on one. I did it, and it works great. Bear in mind this is my first writeup so be gentle. Also, my phone's camera sucks so forgive the quality of the pics.

What you will need:
-Phillips Head screwdriver
-Flathead screwdriver
-Cutting tool (serrated steak knife, mini handsaw, etc) for red plastic collar
-Wirecutter (reccommended) for boot trim

What you do:

Start by moving the front passenger seat all the way back. This will give you more room to work with. Don't mind my shift knob. I'm on my 4th one. I guess Ford can't make one for me that will keep paint on.

Next, gently pry the shift boot from the console. Be careful, it's only held in there by plastic tabs so try not to break them off.

Now, remove the shift knob. It just twists off but it may take some persuasion to get it started.

With the knob removed, you can take off the entire shift boot assembly. Take the red plastic collar and set it aside for now.

With the boot assembly out of the way you should be left with a bare shift lever with black plastic piece attached near the bottom. This the pivot ball mount and is what we're going to move. Using a Phillips Head screwdriver remove the screw you see pictured. It may help to have a few different phillips heads because this screw can be tough to get started, and it strips kind of easy. It's one of those screws that seem to want one specific driver (anyone who has worked on cars to a large extent knows what I mean).

Ok now with that screw out it's time to reposition the pivot ball mount. You will see that the screw was pinching the two black "fingers" that circled the lever together when it was all together. Get a flathead screwdriver that JUST fits inbetween those two fingers. By **gently** prying them apart you will notice the mount get a little looser. Basically you want to pry them just enough so you can move the whole mount up the lever. After playing with it for a minute you'll find the technique that works. Move it up until you can twist the mount on the lever without prying on it. NOW, using the prying technique, LOWER the mount on the lever just until you are no longer able to move it around without prying. I know these pics aren't that great but here's where it was before you moved it:

And here's an approximation of where it should be after you move it:

Once you're comfortable with it's position, you can go ahead and put the screw back in an tighten it up. At this point there's two more things you're going to need to do before you can button everything back up. First, try to reinstall the shift boot assembly (lining up the notch on the boot's sleeve with the peg on the mount-it only goes on one way) and more likely that not it's not going to go on right when you try to snap the trim into place. This is because we moved the mount up so high that the boot's trim in now touching the pivot arm. Take your wire cutters, or any other heavy-duty snipping devices and trim the front of the boot's trim. You'll see where. I removed the whole front tab thing below the two mounting tabs (so they'd hold the boot on since i cut the staple off). It's more trial and error but eventually once you remove enough material it'll snap on and you're good. I didn't take a pic but if someone ABSOLUTELY needs me to I'll take it apart and post one.
Now remember the red plastic collar I had you set off to the side? If you put it back on as it is it will cover the threads on the lever preventing the knob from going back on. Again, you want to trim it down so that enough of the thread is exposed to replace the knob. I took off about an inch give or take. Again no pic but it's pretty self explanitory. Once you have that all set, twist the shift knob back on and take her for a spin.

You will find that not only are the throws noticeably shorter than they were in its previous configuration, but I also found on mine that the shifter is nice and firm, especially in neutral. I wouldn't have called it sloppy before but now I can't think of a better word for what it used to feel like. Takes about a half hour or so, costs nothing but a few moments of your time, and is a great alternative to shelling out over $100 for an aftermarket shifter. Bear in mind though, that I can't speak for the difference between this mod and a STS like Steeda's as I've never used one, but vs stock this is your best bang (into gear) for your buck.

Good Luck and happy motoring guys!

See less See more
#32 · (Edited)
Hey if it works for you guys and you have the extra money laying around, go for it. There's countless threads about Steeda and other aftermarket STS. This thread is for people who want to shorten their throw on a budget.

@PSUrivie, have you done this mod, and are comapring it to the Steeda? Or are you simply stating that the Steeda makes a difference over stock? Because my shifts are also shorter and stiffer, and I can't immagine the Steeda being so different as to be worth at least $88. I have heard they are actually quite comaparable. If the Steeda was that much higher anyway, you'd have to modify the center console, not just the boot trim.

The point is, there are those of us who don't want to (or can't) spend money frivolously. Especially with the economy the way it is, $88 can be someone's food and gas budget for a couple of weeks. This is just one of those quick and free mods to make us smile more.

EDIT: There also seems to be some confusion regarding this mod, as bdnld4482's recent post shows. This isn't a mod to give you a short shifter. Those are just shortened levers. This mod is to shorten the THROWS of the shifter, and this mod most certainly does move the pivot point.

#35 ·
this chopped down sts , sure is shorter just cause you chopped it but if you have never driven a focus with a real sts then you cant compair it with the real thing. i took off my steeda sts and put my stock chopped sts on and i hated it so bad that i put the steeda back on after 2 weeks. 110$$$ i think is well worth the cashif you combian it with the lower mount. If you have never owned a real STS then you have no qlue what your talking about.

#37 · (Edited)
Thanks MisterJohnson, and that knob looks tight![thumb]

bdnld4482...NOBODY here is talking about chopping their shift lever. Some members have done it in ADDITION to the mod being discussed, but that is an aside, and you keep commenting on something that is not really part of this discussion. It's equivalent to us talking about wheel sizes and you commenting on tire pressure. I suggest you read the whole thread. Never once did I say anything about just chopping it. This is a TRUE STS mod, look at the responses. It works. Furthermore, both this mod and a STS RAISE the pivot mount point, not lower it. No disrespect but you're the only one who doesn't seem to know what they're talking about.

PSUrivie, thanks for the clarification. That's what I thought you meant but couldn't be sure.

#39 ·
OK. I am confused. I realize the discussion is about the mod. But may I ask, is the Steeda STS shorter than stock? this is the 1st thread I can recall that ever raised the issue. (This is an issue as my wife has reach problems).
Also, regarding overall feel. I read that it is 'stiffer' (as well as having a shorter throw). My current OEM feel is sort of notchy. I.E. I can def feel moving from 1st, to neutral to 2nd as an example, even though the 'overall' transition is smooth. Hard to describe). So does this mod affect the 'notchy' feel in any way? Like to look before I leap. [wiggle]
thanks

#40 ·
sigh. fucus, i guess you didnt search TOO hard when you were looking up threads on this....

I created these threads a long time ago, first a DIY....then a full STS thread. Apparently they were not read. Please see below.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172697&highlight=steeda

I did the above in 2008. Then, I did this:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175717&highlight=steeda

I had asked that these be stickied, but it seems they never were.

And I can't get no love. =( I tried to put in as many 'searchable' references as I could in each of these (such as Short Throw Shifter instead of STS, which does not come up in search). I had hoped people would see them in their searches, but apparently not. SoCon, please refer to my threads for the answers to your questions. Most every question is in answered already in these two threads. It was THOSE threads where these all first came up. This discussion/thread came up about a year later, in 2009. Then was revived.

Reactions: 2010_SES
#41 ·
I'm not sure about the Steeda STS, but I'd have to guess that it's shorter than stock.

As to the "notchy" feel, no it doesn't change in that respect. When you do this mod the shift feels less sloppy and you have to push/pull a little harder to change gears, but you can shift a little faster as the throw is a little shorter

#42 ·
Again, I answered these in my original threads, created a year before this one was written. Take a look there. My pictures are a bit clearer as well, as far as the DIY goes. I have the steeda. it is shorter than stock.

#44 ·
thanks, i just wish my threads would have been seen before this thread was created. i created them to answer these questions for everyone, and then i see i was not even mentioned in THIS thread.

just bothersome when you put so much work in...

Reactions: FucusUnderground
#45 ·
Nemesis, had I found ANYTHING from you regarding this, I would have given you credit. And I DID search thoroughly. For everything I could think of. In FACT, when I did search, all I found was the thread where I first saw Buickboy mention this mod. So not only did I search for relevant threads, I actually read them. I didn't do this to make myself look cool or knowlegable. I did it so people (like myself) who couldn't find info on it could have a step-by-step. My sincerest appologies for peeing in your cheerios. But in all honesty, is it THAT big of a deal that you have to come to this thread and complain about it? Answer questions by directing to your own thread? I mean come on, this is for the benefit of all the members. Why be childish about it? If you're going to answer questions directed to THIS thread by saying "I already answered that in MY thread," then you aren't furthering the conversation, therefore should have held your tongue (fingers). It kind of makes you seem needy for attention TBH. If your thread is over a year old it's no surprise it got buried and is hard to find in search. Just like this one will when it dies down I'm sure. Again, I appologize if it bothers you I didn't give you credit, even though I found NOTHING by you.

#47 ·
NP socon. Fucus, it is not complaining about credit. Its about searching, and when you put all this work in just so others will later find it, it gets annoying to see it not being found. I create how-tos and reference threads just TO help the community, instead of having 50 threads on the same topic. that is why i asked for stickies. i searched the keywords in the advanced search, and it came right up.

I was trying to make a joke when I said 'cant get no love...' i kinda thought that was funny...may be a generational gap thing, but one of the comedians of my generation, rodney dangerfield, used to use that type of comment all the time. i suppose it loses its meaning on the typed-out internet.

in posting and directing socon to my threads (i did not capitalize the word MY by the way), i was actually trying to help answer his questions instead of going in and reposting everything. sorry. apparently stepping into your thread with something already answered bothers you to the point where you attack me. jeez, i meant no offense. to prove this to you, i am giving you rep just for making an effort.

okay?

edit: it worked, you have more rep.

#49 ·
Thanks for the rep but it wasn't necessary. Rep means bupkiss to me. I could care less who walk on this thread, I don't consider it "mine." I consider it the Ford Focus community's. I know exactly what you mean about putting a lot of work into it but it's not important. If this thread gets deleted, or stickied, or jacked, I don't care. In my first post I even stated that this mod wasn't my creation, I was just writing it up for the benefit of those who couldn't find the info. I'm sorry if I came across as harsh, I have no disrespect for you whatsoever. I just got defensive when you called me out by name saying I didn't search too hard. Because I did. Let's let bygones be bygones, we are all capable of misunderstanding. To show you I mean no ill will, I'll give you some rep back. Sorry it got out of hand for a minute. [cheers] We're all on the same team here.

#50 ·
thanks for the rep.

glad to see we are now on the same page, and again, i think it is great that people are trying to put out info to the community.

#52 ·
Yes indeed alot of good info in this tread. And yes the Steeda sts is one and a half inches shorter than stock. CFM has there shifter and it is 3 inches shorter than stock. I quess it all depends on how low you want to go and how much you want to spend...lol

#54 ·
ok, i have a crazy prob. i was going to do this stock mod., and found out it would be almost impossible to this i own an 01 zx3 that was manufact. in march of 01, now i was intregged to find that all my shifter cables are under the shifter platform and i have never seen this on any of my other foci that i used to own, and i have done four diff. foci well they were convert. to STS from B&M, and one from steeda but im just wondering if any of yall have ran into this prob as tring to do this mod........thanx in advance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.