Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Duratec cylinder head rebuild with pics

19K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  badazz2010focus 
#1 ·
Align cams using alignment bar. If the head were installed, this would be TDC assuming no cam adjustments were made (if with adjustable gears).

This was not necessary because the head was not installed. I did it just because.

Aligned

Cam caps removed and laid in place in exact position they will be re-installed in. Intake on bottom, exhaust in top of the pic. Followed cam cap loosening sequence in chilton manual.

Head with cam caps removed.

Cams removed, exposing tappets.

Tappets laid out in sequence. Will be re-installed in the same location they were removed from.

Tappets removed and exposing valve springs. Valve spring compressor mounted and ready to break the keepers loose for valve spring/valve removal.

Intake ports. They were black.

Compressing the valve spring. While doing this, I kept my hand on the valve face from the combustion chamber side of the head so the keepers would break loose. If there is no pressure on the valves while you compress the springs, they will not break loose and you will not be able to get the components out.

Removing the valve. Once you have the valve spring out, the valve comes out easily.

The valves were filthy and loaded with deposits. It only looks metallic in this pic because of the camera flash. It was really just black carbon build up.

Intake port just after valve removal.

Removing the valve seals with a 14mm socket.

Keep each valve train component in it's proper place. There are 16 valves total.

A shot of the valve seats after all valvetrain components have been removed. Exhaust valve seats on bottom, intake on top. 30mm and 35mm respectively.

Cleaning the valvetrain components.

Clean intake port.

Clean exhaust ports.

Lapping valves into the cylinder head after re-installing valve seals. The combustion chamber side has been cleaned as well.

Valve seat and valve before grinding.

After grinding

That's where I am at for now. I'll edit this post with more pics once I complete the rebuild. Feedback appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Seems consistent with what I used to do rebuilding DOHC Japanese four-cylinder motorcycle top ends...good work and thanks for sharing, Afraziaaaa!

#8 ·
oooooo, the valve looks SOOO nice afterwards! man, must be some bad gas or something getting the carbon all over the valves like that.

wouldda been cool to see you drop it in some techron or something, see if they come clean lol.

#9 ·
Lol @ techron. Hahaha. I think whoever owned the car this head came out of just didnt maintain very well.

You dont have to keep all componets togather if you grinding the seats and the valves , all springs are the same , all retainers and keepers are the same and your changing where the meet

Tom
Thanks Tom. I didn't know that, but it makes perfect sense.

I guess the tappets aren't going to matter either. Valve lash gotta be checked.

#11 ·
Nice build, it inspires me to do the same to mine. I didn't see it but what do you expect out of it?

#12 ·
Its just being rebuilt for functionality. No porting/polising/bigger valves or cams. This is a spare head that I have.

If I were to install it on a duratec motor I wouldn't expect much but reliability out of it because the D23 head flows much better.

Who knows...maybe I will source a D20 block for cheap and build something fun like a buggy.

#14 ·
Valve spring seats?

Do you mean valve seals?

I am not sure what you are talking about. Maybe the supertech parts use a seat that goes on top of the valve seal???

Post up a pic of what you are talking about, and I can probably tell you what you should do with it.

Unless someone else with the experience pipes in before that happens.

By the way, the head in this thread is a D20.

#15 ·
Needless to say, i'm a bit confused right now.

On your D20 head there were no metal spring seats that came out after the springs? Just the valve seals?

My supertech set came with springs, retainers, and valve seats. Not valve seals. They're cupped like they need to be on the bottom of the springs. I'll get some pictures when i get a moment today. I'm at work. Im sure it goes on the bottom of the spring. I'm going to be picking up my friend's ford workshop manual later today to research it. .

For now, here's the information that's on the box and on the packet of seats. I understand that you wont need all of this, but im posting it all anyways.

Sticker on packet of valve seats:

SEAT-DUR/1
Spring seat locator for SPR-TS1015 / Duratec engine

Posted on the box:

MAZDA/FORD 2.3 DURATEC SINGLE VALVE SPRING KIT
KIT# SPRK-TS/DUR-S

Spring: SPR-TS1015/SINGLE

Titanium Retainer: RET-TS5.5/T1

Spring Seat: OEM + SEAT-DUR/1

Seat Pressure: 55lbs @ 34.30mm installed height

Spring rate: 9.5lbs/mm

Spring coil bind: 20.7mm

Recommend Max Lift: 13.6

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.