Unfortunately, all the exhaust tappets were too big, but I found a local shop who will clearance them by shaving the valve stems down. That's getting dropped off tomorrow.
On Friday after work, I gave a thorough cleaning to the garage to get ready for a weekend of teardown. It used to be so full of crap that there wasn't really room to move, but that's not a problem anymore!
(click the pics for a bigger version)
Yesterday was the beginning! Most of it was simple stuff, really... most of the plastic covers, battery, valve cover, throttlebody, some wiring, etc etc... I had a few very helpful tools though: the shop manual, masking tape, a marker, and a lot of zip lock bags. If you're going to do work like this, label everything!
I also pulled off the strut bar because, let's face it, they don't do squat. It was also in constant contact with the brake reservoir sensor, which annoyed me. And here we are!! End of day 1:
Today I put the front of the car up on jack stands and got to a few more involved pieces. First step was to drain all the coolant. It turns out my t-stat housing was leaking so that will get changed out on top of everything else. After draining, I pulled off the hoses from the housing and off it went. I also pulled off the degas tank for more room to work, as well as the battery box (makes it a lot easier to get the hoses off the housing). Finally, tackle the header shield, which involved lowering the bottom radiator brace to pull off the fans, and then maneuvering the shield around the header and down through the bottom of the engine bay. Got it out in one piece!
I didn't do much else today (except clean some dirt off the engine bay paint), as I needed to get other stuff done around the house, but here she is after Day 2:
Tomorrow will be the header, pull off the fuel filter to depressurize the rail, and hopefully get the intake manifold off if there's time.