Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - ZETEC Engine stumble - SOLVED
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 05:15 AM   #136
Focus Enthusiast
domesplit's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2005
Fan#: 19448
Location: Las Vegas, NV
What I Drive: 2002 ZX5 and 2003 SVT ZX5

Posts: 191
Points 1,273, Level 19
Points: 1,273, Level: 19 Points: 1,273, Level: 19 Points: 1,273, Level: 19
Level Up 73% Completed
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 domesplit Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Originally Posted by MadFF View Post
This thread is great... I am wondering if all this info relates to my car (wife's, actually).

We have a 2005 Ford Focus ZXW (wagon). It has a 2.0l engine with 58,000 miles on it. It has developed what I consider to be a rough idle, seems like it has gotten worse over the last 6 months or so. It runs fine, no stalling or stumbling, just a rough idle.

I went to check the air filter... surprise! It is permanently mounted in the bumper I guess? Who (and why?) thought of that design? The air filter air flow indicator (the clear plastic thing with the yellow indicator that moves the more the air flow is restricted) is barely visible, meaning I assume the air flow and air filter are fine.

I have removed and checked (then put back) what I believe to be the MAF sensor, and it looks totally clean.

The collapsed PCV tube that is being talked about here, do I have the same design or has it been changed? For the life of me I cannot find it, the pictures posted are great but maybe they don't relate to my engine? Looking from above my engine, should I be able to see it, or do I have to go under the car and look up?

Take a picture of your engine and I can show you. to try and answer your question you can see the pcv valve looking from the top of your engine but it wraps around your engine from the front to the right side then to the back. The rubber line becomes a metal line for about 3 or 4 inches then turns right back into a rubber line and goes behind the engine and twards the bottom and may be a little hard to reach or find if you don't trace the line. Also keep in mind that the line looks way smaller than what it seems; it's about as wide as your finger.

The line on the left is the new one the one on the right is the old one. This is the line that is on the back side of the engine. If you were to trace from the PCV valve that rubber hose goes to a metal line on the right side of your engine (driver side) the after about 4 inches of metal line turns back into a rubber line, that the line in the picture.Mine was collapsed so it was hard to tell if it was bad until I found it and noticed it wasn't round at the 90 degree turn

PCV Valve and start of hose

This is a modded engine but if you look at where it says Zetec, to the right you will see a silver cap and below that is where the pcv valve is located (to the right of the heat shield with x on it. The red line represents how your pcv valve line will run. Just look at all these pics together and you will find it.

domesplit is offline  
    Reply With Quote