Focus Fanatics Forum banner

looking into autox...

9K views 55 replies 15 participants last post by  WD40 
#1 ·
I'm becoming more and more interested in autox. My current mods include FS stage 2 turbo, Exedy stage 2 clutch, FS cat-back exhaust, H&R lowering springs, and front tower strut bar. I still have stock brakes and differentials. What all do I need to do to be able to compete?

#2 ·
your turbo will put you in street modified like me ...it's a tough class but i like a challenge[thumb]
as far as what to get besides A LOT OF SEAT TIME [/B]...( which will be your greatest asset) will be a limited slip diff cause SM is a hard class with evos & sti-s but don't let that discourage you.... it's soooo much fun hard to believe it's legal.

BTW....welcome to your neew obsession[;)]

#4 ·
The turbo is what nails you to SM.
You can do pretty much anything else, and you'd still be in SM.

You can download a PDF of the SCCA Solo Rule book from this link:
http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=61
^^^2009 rulebooks should be available any time. (I see they still have 2008 listed)

#5 ·
Awesome! That helps out alot. I guess I could've gone there to start with. Also, tires! What tires are most preffered and have the best performace for autox? I'm looking to get new tires with income tax.

#7 ·
Awesome! I checked each one of them out on tirerack and the Bridgestone RE01Rs have the best ratings and reviews, but the Kuhmo Ecsta MXs are definitely the cheaper route! I'm gonna have to think it over and decide before next week. Thanks for the input!

As far as sway bars, struts, and shocks, which is best out there and most widely used?

#13 ·
well, right! I'm talking about grabbing an abandoned parking lot and setting up some cones (or markers of some sort) and getting the feel for the suspension and its limitations, that way I can work out the kinks before I step out on the track so I don't look like a jackass! lol [:p]

#12 ·
Yep...along with a bunch of others. The RE01 is being replaced by the RE11--so there may be some closeout deals on the 01s soon.

The RE01 has a softish sidewall, and from what I read so does the Kumho. Something like the Dunlop Z1 with a stiffer sidewall may serve the Focus better--it's not a light car, even when 'stripped'.

#14 ·
In all seriousness...don't waste your time in the parking lot.
You'll only develop bad habits, and there's no way you'll be able to duplicate genuine AutoCross conditions.
^^^Worse yet...there's no way to duplicate SAFE AutoCross conditions.

Nobody is going to laugh at you at your first event.
On the contrary, you'll find genuine respect from fellow competitors,
and everyone will be most willing to help and answer any questions you may have.

#16 ·
I just went and checked out a set of Bridgestone RE760 Sports. Expert tire here in Laurel, MS is having a great special on them trying to promote them. I'm buying a set of 225/45/17.

#19 ·
Very well understood. I'm taking all this into consideration. I'm not afraid to lose, that doesn't bother cause if I'm gonna be in a tough class with STIs and EVOs, then I know I'm gonna get my ass kicked!

It makes me want to get into autox even more when you say it will improve my every day driving skill.

#20 ·
you say it will improve my every day driving skill.
Oh it'll do that all right.

Do you know that Philly region SCCA event #2 is going to happen on Feb 8? It's at Citizen's Bank Park in south Philly- about an hour and a half up I-95 from you. (www.phillyscca.com) Looks like there's going to be a good turn out of foci too.

#22 ·
theres no point delaying your first event. go for it. Even if you dont have all your go fast part on, or even good tires. As everyone else says, you need seat time. even seat time in a buick (or other unperformance car) is worth it.

and for you other question about allowed mods, read up on the rules, but you have a carte blanche in SM, add whatever you want, you just cant remove the interier. but as for tires, the best you can do is put fender flares on and run a really wide wheel and some super wide sticky tires. im thinking the 275 hoosiers.

#23 ·
I've gotten new tires already. They are Bridgestone RE760 sports in 225/45/17.

As far as what you were saying about the interior, I've already stripped the back seats and backwards. I still have all the parts though so that could be easily remedied.

Would you guys consider autox to be a "mind over matter" type of thing?

#24 ·
Its definately a thinking-persons sport, at least to wring out the last bit of speed. A "fast driver" in a slow car will beat an unseasoned driver in a fast car maybe 9 out of 10 times. That does not mean that equipment can be taken for granted--but it is much less important early on...nothing makes up for seat time.

#27 ·
Good point. [cheers] The focus is a front heavy vehicle.

A friend of mine has been doing autox for while now and he was talking about how to set up the suspension for the best handling and stability. He said he races Accords so he wouldn't know much about how to setup the focus for autox. He did make a few good points though. Would tightening up the rear suspension drastically effect the handling and stability of the car? I'm planning on getting Koni shocks and struts with income tax and looking to do something else suspension wise. Would a rear tower strut bar or rear sway bar make a big difference?

#28 ·
the sway will make quite a bit of difference, just don't go too big. nothing more than 24mm-25mm imo. with the stock 21mm front bar.
I personally run a progress 22mm on the rear with stiffer H&R race springs, alot depends on your driving style a bit too.
the focus is deff. a front heavy girl, i removed my rear seats & spare tire 2 seasons ago and noticed quite a bit of off throttle oversteer in faster sweepers & transitions and adjusted tire pressures & shock settings to compensate cause the focus def. needs a diet.
this winter i decided to shed some weight from the front , lost the A/C compressor and condensor since my down pipe for the turbo wouldn't clear anyway..that's almost 50 pounds, then i dumped the stock battery for one smaller and half the weight..lost another 15 to 20 pounds right there. I didn't realize the stock batt. was so heavy..lol
this should help balance things out nicely[thumb] our first race is soooo far away :-(

#32 ·
Tires are #1 buy a longshot.
...all the better if are on light wheels.

then dampers...oh, and springs...

then RSB...

Brakes are really not a huge deal...decent pads on an otherwise well-functing stock system are fine...spend the $$$ elsewhere.

Front--camber is a big deal. Good camber plates like LCR are worth the money. A FSB is a matter of opinion. I think they help a stock class FWD car alot...but are less important as you get into ST or SP. You can tune the front of the car with springs and camber more effectively. The bigger you go on the FSB, the 'better' the car *may* slalom...but the worse you *may* be on corner exit due to wheelspin.

Here is a tried-and-true ST/SP setup--it will give you a solid car to run with:

Konis
H&R Race
24-25mm RSB
OE 21mm FSB
Bushings all around
LCR camber plates

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3wwZjib_H8
The car as shown had:
H&R Race springs
Konis in front
SPAX adjustables in back
24mm 3-way adj. RSB
Specialty Performance front camber adjusters
FSB poly bushings on OE bar

That was on 15x6.5" wheels--.5"-1" wider would have been better...on 205/50 RT215 Falkens

This was the fastest 'street tire' Focus (including SVTs) at the Focljet Jetfest I autocross in 2005...4th overall.

You don't need to go crazy to get a nice soild setup...

#36 ·
I'm good on tires! Good a really good set of Bridgestones. I'm looking into the camber plates and koni struts and shocks right now.

What about ways to decrease the weight of the car? What can be done to better balance the weight and lighten it as possible? Any heavy hidden items?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.