Focus Fanatics Forum banner

So You Want to Race SPEC MIATA ? *WINCE*

5K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  CJohn364 
#1 ·
YEEEOOOWCH !!

See less See more
#8 ·
The price of popularity.

If I recall correctly, the last race at Summit point had 50+ cars on track.

#10 ·
^^

It is a commitment. The first thing you have to do is disassociate yourself with any emotion relating to the car.

It is a tool. If it breaks, you have to be able to throw it away.

#13 ·
^^ The first thing you have to do is disassociate yourself with any emotion relating to the car.

It is a tool. If it breaks, you have to be able to throw it away.
Dead on the bullseye! If you love your car, then drive it and enjoy. If you love to drive, then get a car to race...and be prepared to replace most or all of it at regular intervals! From bumper to bumper it's a "wear item" for your addiction to speed.

No wonder the old saying is true: "If you want to make a small fortune in racing, start with a large one..."[race]

#11 ·
Just out of curiosity, is there any insurance that comes with being a member of something like SCCA? i know you get like a million in insurance for if you wreck and go to the hospital, but is there anything to cover your car? Or are you just SOL and have to fix it on your own dime or just "throw it away" like you said?

#12 ·
There are companies that offer track insurance.

Mostly, that addresses medical and liability (Believe it or not, in amateur events if the incident is serious enough it applies) and not the vehicle.

Like I said, there are some, but it is EXPENSIVE.

Usually you only see that with vintage racing series.

#16 ·
Our favorite name for them is "Spec Maniacs".

As a corner worker, I can definitely say that over 75% of the "metal to metal" incidents reported to race control involve at least one if not multiple Miata's.

At least they keep us corner workers busy. :D

On another note, when I totaled my ITA Focus, I was and wasn't prepared to write it off. I knew it could and would happed one day, but man I wish it would've waited until I had more than one race season on it... And what do you know, I did it while trying to pass a damn Miata!

Chris

#19 ·
Our favorite name for them is "Spec Maniacs".

On another note, when I totaled my ITA Focus, I was and wasn't prepared to write it off. I knew it could and would happed one day, but man I wish it would've waited until I had more than one race season on it... And what do you know, I did it while trying to pass a damn Miata!

Chris
Was that the video of the focus roll-over on fj.com? The miata video is insane Guy got tossed around a little bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.