Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Trunk ideas

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  CaysE 
#1 ·
Ok, so I've got an 06 sedan and a ton of ideas that I will eventually be bringing to fruition. I've been over at fiberglassforums.com checking out all the awesome builds those guys have done and thinking about getting involved in fiberglassing since i'm a total noob at it and never done it once. All that's for the future though. I wanna go big, no, huge, but i have to start some place. So I figured, why not the trunk? So I took a closer look at my trunk recently and realized that it isn't exactly "presentable" in its stock form. For example, while I've got all the carpet enclosures and such there's nothing covering the top of the trunk. By top of the trunk I mean on the inside. It's nothing but a bunch of exposed metal! On top of that it isn't even uniform. It's got a big hump coming down with holes all in it and supports. It's a mess and if I was gonna fiberglass over it I wouldn't know where to start because in order to cover the "bump" and make everything even it's gonna have to come down a bit. The point is that there isn't much room in there to begin with so If I'm gonna turn this into a show car one day the what am I gonna do to cover it all up without it having just enough room to stick my hand in. So I was looking for pics of people with modded sedan interiors but couldn't find anything like i'm looking for. Anyone know of anything and is there some insert I'm missing that was supposed to cover everything up to begin with? Sorry for making this long, it's late and i can't think. Ty. SPACE

See less See more
#3 ·
You could use some 1/4" plywood covered with carpet to cover the metal bracing. I'm not sure how far the "bump" comes down but you might be able to work around it.
Do you use your trunk? I mean, if you fill it up with a bunch of stuff, are you ever gonna be in the situation that you'll need it? Do you think you'll ever sell the car? If I were you, I might install things in the trunk with the possibility of needing to take them out. ie, no fiberglass unless you can remove it without busting things up.
I dunno, maybe if you post some pics of your trunk and what you would like to do with it, we could work with you.

#5 ·
SpaceGravity, it sounds like you're looking at dealing with the same part of the car I am. I need to Dynamat the trunk lid, so covering that area is high on my list to. My current plan was to cut a piece of 1/8" plexiglass to match the outline of the exposed metal braces on the trunk, paint it to match the body color, then screw it into place with either chrome or blue anodized sheet metal screws. I'm also debating adding a screen in there for the hell of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.