Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Faster Steering

5K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  c9ollie 
#1 ·
Does anyone know a way to quicken the steering? Aftermarket steering racks? I thought about re-drilling the steering knuckles to make them in effect shorter, but I don't think I have the courage for that. Has anyone ever done that?

#4 ·
Just curious, how much faster do you want it?

You could accomplish the same thing with grippier (is that a word?) tires or larger tires.

The turning response of the focus is really quite good.

To get a full appreciation, turn later into the apex. [thumb]

#5 ·
How much faster? I don't know- at some point I'm sure it would be too fast and you couldn't keep the thing on the road. I thought maybe there was some aftermarket rack or easy trick somebody knew about.

I put neogens on here and that's when I got this bright idea. In a series of tight turns, I almost feel like the tires could do more and do it faster if only I could steer faster. Does that sound wierd?

Maybe I could rosin the steering wheel. Or would that put me in a different class?!

#7 ·
That's a good point. I would start there and that should satisfy the need.

Beyond that and things become a little unwiedly with a car as big (yes, I really said that) as a focus.

If it were something really lightweight, I don't think it would be as much of an issue.

#11 ·
are you taling about more steering response?

or

less lock to lock distance. its like 900 degrees or something in a street car and 200ishin a race car. so full left lock to full right lock is under 1 rotation. is that what you are talking about?

#12 ·
^^yes. I googled "steering quickeners" and found a number of companies make them and they're not that expensive, but they're all made for chevys. I kind of doubt whether the focus would have room for one of them anyway.

Maybe I'll check out the SVT idea, that sounds simple enough. Thanks everyone!

#18 ·
hm i wouldnt mind looking into that. i will have to check out if it is compatible. it would be really cool to have race car like steering.

#19 ·
They're saying 8" overall length- that would be a bear to stuff into a focus without MAJOR mods to the whole steering column. I think these are intended to be used where you're building a car from scratch, and you can lay the steering system out to accomodate it right from the beginning.

I must say though, I really don't see any reason why a car like the focus should need more than 2 turns lock-to-lock. It has 2 2/3 turns, btw.

Thanks for checking that out-

#20 ·
Well...if its that important to you it wouldn't be that hard to put in, there are a few spots in the column with more than 8" of shaft. Although I think it would be a permanent mod, unless you wanted to swap out the entire column for track days and otherwise.

A 1 1/3 lock to lock column would definitely take a bit of getting used to.

#22 ·
I think it would be a permanent mod, unless you wanted to swap out the entire column for track days and otherwise.

A 1 1/3 lock to lock column would definitely take a bit of getting used to.
My idea is not just a good car to race, but a fun car to drive everyday, so whatever I do it'll be permanent.

I saw basically the same unit someplace on line that's 1:1 1/2. That'd be more like it.

#21 ·
The quickest steering car that I ever drove (didn't own) was an 87 Dodge Lancer ES Turbo, which had a 103" wb like our Foci, and 2 turns lock to lock. Not only insanely quick steering, but the most comfortable and supportive bucket seats of any car I've ever driven. A true American 4 dr sport sedan.

#23 ·
CAN YOU IMAGINE PARALELL PARKING WITH THIS!

lol i just thought of that. it would be so easy. if i had a welder and some cash i would definatly do this. it looks like it would be really cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.