Votes: 805 27.7%
  • 35-40

Votes: 254 8.8%
  • 40+

Votes: 62 2.1%

MPG poll

1M views 1K replies 655 participants last post by  That_Yellow_Car_Guy 
#1 ·
I thought out of curiousity I'd start a poll to see what kind of mpg everyone is getting. If you are getting around 30+ mpg could you please reply with the things you did or methods used to increase your mpg. I've filled up 3 times so far. The mpg for the tank of gas from the dealership is not accurate as I don't know for sure if the trip miles were on the tank.

Rounded to the nearest 10th.
Fill up---MPG
0---------????
1---------24.4
2---------25.7
3---------Still driving on this tank.

I up shifted a little bit later on fill up #2 (between about 2750 and 3000 rpms vs around 2250 give or take 200 rpms.

#396 ·
Well, my wife's automatic 2002 ZX3 averages 26mpg with mixed highway/city driving in proportion of about 50/50 even. Highway at 60-65mph. If it makes a difference, we use 5W30 oil not 5W20, fuel is just your regular unleaded 89 with 10-15% ethanol, whatever they use here in Nebraska

#397 ·
Should get a lot more

I just did 36 mpg highway at 65-70mph, 32 city/highway mix. I keep tires at 40psi which has had the biggest impact. The car now has 236,000 miles, original clutch and no motor issues yet. In fact I checked my receipts for last year and I only spent $170 for repairs and drove 27,000 miles! damn this car..I want to get something newer but this one wont die![strongman]

#400 ·
just 5/30. Yes its a manual. I keep tires at 40lbs. Its a harsh ride but picks up a few mpgs. I draft semis and trucks but not real aggressively like some people Ive seen. I get more into the dirty air behind them. Im going to get a Scan Gauge to really me out. I did all highway this past weekend for a trip and got 39 mpg! Damnit so close to 40MPG...but I drove 60 mpg the whole time and followed a semi for quite a while.[clap]

#399 ·
^^if you raise your tire pressure up it increases the gas mileage a lot, he was running 40 psi, I was messing around once with some tires I was about to have replaced, and put them at 44psi(that was the max psi rating labeled on the side wall of the tire) and I followed a semi at 75-70 mph for an hour and got about 35 to 38mpg(this however is not what ford reccomends as its labeled on your door)

#402 ·
I was impressed since I got a newer wagon yesterday and I managed to pull 39.5 MPG out of it. The 39.5 is based off the 213miles I went and the 5.39 gal that was on my reciept when I slightly over filled the car. I just got it so I could get better mileage than my truck and wow it almost doubles it.

#403 ·
Scan Gauge II

I just bought the scan guage. It has already paid off! I went from 38.0 on my first tank....to 40.2 on my second. I really utilize the coasting, by pushing the clutch in, for extra free mileage. This is a combo driving of city/highway.

This tank so far Im at 44mpg! But it wont last, its mostly highway and Im in the city now for a few days.

#406 ·
I'm two weeks shy of owning my Focus a year. I have averaged 30.65 mpg during the time I have owned it. I do about 70/30 hwy/city, I have an ATX, I use the A/C during the Summer, and I'm not know for following the speed limit.[deviltail] I tend to drive 5-10 mph over posted limits, depending on where I am.

#407 ·
Slower the better...

I have seen a real change on the highways lately in Michigan. Gas is at 3.99 gallon now for regular. I used to be the slowest one in the slow lane at 60-65mpg. No Im catching semi's and trucks doing 55 mph. Fine with me, I just tuck in behind them.

My last tank gave me 38.4 mpg city/highway.

Previous tank was 36mpg city only! Pretty good for a car with 238,000 miles.[woot]

#411 · (Edited)
Brand new owner here. Just picked up my '08 SE Sedan 5-speed last Friday. Have about 460 miles on it now and just into my first (besides the dealership) tank of gas. Hit 36.0mpg today. I don't drive slow by any means. I managed to squeeze 17.0mpg out of my 5.0L Explorer and just driving the same way (except with the 5-speed I have a *lot* more control over the engine) my mpg just keeps going up. I drive 120 miles a day and I'm really hoping to hit 38-40mpg after the engine breaks in and I air up the tires a bit more. Probably try 40psi to see how it goes. So... under 500 miles and already up to 36.0mpg (combined city/highway) isn't too bad?

Update: Checked tire pressure and new from the dealership, all four were at 29 psi. Heh... check your tires folks.

Update: Approaching 6k miles... now getting 42.3 MPG! It just keeps going up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.