Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Programming a Ford Focus Key?

52K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  Edgenet 
#1 ·
Ok, so when I purchased my car from the GMC dealer, it only came with one key. I've ordered one off of ebay instead of paying $60 or so for a new PATS key as I've heard. Do I really need to have a dealer or locksmith program the second key or can I do it myself? Also, if I have to have it programmed, how much will it cost on average?

#30 ·
If the car does not scream to thieves 'steal me!' then take the chip out of the key and tape it to inside of steering column covers or on column so that it is within one inch of the transponder ring, then take the old key and cut a second cheap old school dumb key for like $3. As long as the chip is within scanning distance of the PATS ring, the car will start and run all day long with normal dumb non-chipped keys. You will still have normal old school security of a locked ignition, just not the disabling PATS does. Keep your mouth shut and don't tell your friends, the thieves will think you have the PATS enabled still. Quickest $80 you'll ever make.

Some few really kick-ass locksmiths CAN program chipped keys.

#31 ·
I bought a 2005 Focus sedan for my daughter
I found out it was repossessed and I only got one key
So I had 4 programmed keys made and one dumb key
When the dealer does this the one missing key held by the former owner will no longer work
one key for me, one for daughter, one key somewhere inside the car, one spare key and one dumb key somewhere on the outside

I do not have to worry that my daughter is stuck someplace OR the former owner sees the car and drives off in it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.