Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Basic Bolt Ons: Intakes And Induction

45K views 108 replies 66 participants last post by  KyleTroxtell 
#1 ·
One of the first aftermarket parts folks like to install on their cars are aftermarket intakes. An aftermarket intake in most cases removes the stock airbox and replaces it with more of a free flowing setup. In this Topic I will go over what kind of intakes are out there and the pros and cons of each.

First of, there are different styles of intake/induction setups. There is the shorty or short ram style and there is the cold air induction. There is a third type of intake, which I will call the miscellaneous intake. This type of intake shares some features of the shorty or CAI setups but also have some important differences.

Short ram intakes:

These are some of the more common short ram style intakes you are likely to find.

MAC
Steeda short ram
AEM short ram
RM racing open flow
KKM short ram
K&N Aircharger
Ractive short ram

PROS
The benefit of this type of intake is that they are simple to install, they are fairly cheap and they give decent gains. They average between $ 125 -$ 200

CONS
These intakes can be louder then stock, for some folks this is a problem. They also take in ambient under hood air, which when the temps are hot can decrease power. There is a decent amount of air moving around when the vehicle is in motion however.

Cold air intakes:

Here are some of the more common cold air intakes you are likely to find.

AEM CAI
Bomz CAI
Injen CAI

PROS
These intakes make nice gains throughout the rpm range, mainly due to the fact that they locate the filter in an area where it can take in fresh air.

CONS
Most CAI setups use a tube which requires the stock electronics from the MAF sensor to be removed from its stock housing and then placed in the intake tube. This makes upgrading to a larger MAF impossible without buying a new intake. CAI setups also place the filter in a location where it is able to get very dirty very quickly. CAI require more frequent maintenance than short rams. CAI setups are also susceptible to water ingestion, being that the filter sits so far down near the ground. This requires the purchase of a bypass valve. This brings us to cost. CAI setups are normally in the area of $ 225-$ 275 , throw in a bypass valve and the price rises to the $ 300 mark.

Miscellaneous intakes:

Here are some of the misc intakes you will find on the market. I say misc because they do not fit into one of the aforementioned categories.

Volant intake

PROS
Volant is a niche intake, its design is to me the best. First off you start with an elbow which is smooth inside and flows better then the stock piece. Next you have a hi flow AFE conical airfilter, but instead of just a typical “filter on a stick” short ram, volant includes an airbox. The MAF sensor attachs to the airbox via a big bore elbow. The airbox is larger than the stock box and has 2 ducts for fresh incoming air, one which opens underneath the airbox like the stock setup and one that opens on the opposite side of the airbox near the driver side fender. The Volant was design also allows itself to be used in conjunction with a ram air style hood, like the focus central hood, which it mates to perfectly.

CONS
The Volant is slightly louder than a stock intake. It also is pricey at around $ 250.
Volant uses an AFE air filter which is similar to a K&N filter but may not be as good. A replacement AFE filter is around $ 40, I have used a K&N replacement filter however and it works beautifully.

Iceman intake

PROS
The iceman intake is unique because it retains the stock airbox, which is good for those looking to retain stock appearance, in black the intake is almost impossible to detect! Like the Volant the iceman uses a new throttle body to airbox elbow. Iceman claims to use a special plastic which keeps down on the temps that the intake tube can reach, I experimented by pulling the tube off after a long road trip, the outside was warm but the inside of the tube was not. For an air filter the Iceman uses an AFE panel style filter, not as free flowing as a conical filter but on the dyno this intake has shown gains nonetheless. The Iceman also uses its own duct which runs under the stock airbox, made of the same plastic as the other parts, it is larger and more free flowing than the stock duct. There is an optional side mounted duct which also can be added for more fresh incoming air. Recently these side ducts are being included in the intake package.

CONS
There are very few things to complain about with the Iceman, if anything it is the AFE airfilter. Those unhappy with it can pick up a K&N though. The Iceman costs around $ 200

Focussport cool flo intake

PROS
The cool flo intake is made by focussport, which to me is one of the premier companies for aftermarket focus parts. The cool flo is similar to the Volant in that it uses a conical filter and airbox setup to protect from underhood heat. Focussport includes a ITG air filter which is about the best you can buy. They also include a heat shield, its very similar to an airbox and comes complete with a rubber seal to keep the filter completely contained when the hood is closed. Also included are an ITG breather filter and hose.

CONS
While I love focussport products this intake is a bit pricey at $ 200. the filters can be cleaned but if a replacement is ever needed they are $ 80 which is kinda high in my opinion.

BAT inc. DCAF intake

PROS
This intake is fairly simple in that its basically a short ram but with one small difference. On the end of the cone filter is an opening, here a hose attachs to the filter and allows fresh air from behind the driver side headlight to be ducted up to the filter. This kit also includes a mounting bracket and a breather filter.

CONS
While simplistic this intake costs $ 150, which to me seems kind of expensive for the parts you get.

These are not all of the intake setups for the focus, they are a group of the more common and more well known parts.

If you have a question or need advice on what would best fulfill your requirements feel free to PM me or send me an E-mail at frzx3@yahoo.com

See less See more
#27 ·
bckucharik said:
let me just start off by saying GREAT STUFF MAN!!!

but as a newbie (who has learned a lot from the great foci gurus here hehe) if using an Iceman type system, why is there not a fear of water getting into the engine, and where else could , if by chance you were installing a more "homemade" cool air, you place an air intake to get your cold air from? Would running it down to the underside, like a true CAI, run risks of sucking up water..... And doens't the stock air intake still get water into it? Is it accually avoidable? Does the filter box keep the aqua out? I'm still a bit lost on the whole water sucking up issue.

Please help me great gurus
since no one answered for a month i guess i will :p the ice man filter isnt succeptable to water (sp?) because of the filter placement. no large enough amount of water will ever reach it unless there is a flood! the aem and long tube ones can suck water just by runnin thru a puddle

#29 ·
the only way you warrenty can be voided is if the adftermarket part caused the problem so if you have a problem and you take it to the dealer be carefull on what thay say and if you have to pay for a second opinion do it. the dealer might mess with you and say it helped caused the problem even if it dident just so you pay to fix it. i know from experience it saved me not all dealers are like that but some are .

#37 ·
Please excuse my silly question, but my knowledge on cars is seriously lacking, the only thing I know is that I want performance. I'm trying to get all the cheap stuff 1st, I started with an air Filter, a K & N one that is, my question is simply if it would be possible to combine this with a cold air intake system and which one would go the best with it. I'm just asking this because I'm wondering if cold air intakes have their own special Air Filters that come with them.

I'm also contemplating a pulley in the near future.

Whatever knowledge yall would be kind enough to impart upon me would be greatly appreciated because I'm sick of Camry's passing me and other such weak cars.

#38 ·
The Iceman CAI would allow you to retain the stock airbox and your K&N drop-in.

All of the others are basically an extended version of the shorty ram "filter on a stick" intakes, only they locate the cone filter somewhere else where the incoming air is cold, such as behind the front driver side wheel fender. Or in an airbox that draws air in from a location outside of the engine compartment.

The only other question I would have for everyone else is would going with a CAI that uses a cone filter give you better increases than the Iceman? I think I have it narrowed down to either the Volant or the Iceman. I wanted to go with the Volant initally so I could get a ram-air hood and get real gains out of it (the hood), but the ram-air hood is prohibitivley expensive in the $600 range. Without a ram-air hood, what would I get the most gains out of, a Volant or Iceman?

#39 ·
Volant.

The iceman relies on the small hole on the side and bottom of the stock airbox for fresh air.

The volant has a large snorkel/duct on the side of the box, a large round hole underneath for incoming air and a conical filter inside a box.

Much better design.

#42 ·
True true, I shall go with the Volant now but any suggestion as to what I should do with the included air filter, being that I already have a K&N air filter.

And when I do purchase it in a couple of weeks, where would u recommend that I purchase it at?

And the installation won't be that pricey I hope.
Right?

#43 ·
You should be able to install it yourself...its not very hard. If you know how to use a wrench and a screwdriver and can follow instructions, you can do it.

As far as your existing K&N filter, you won't be able to use it with the Volant. It uses a cone filter, and your K&N is a rectangular drop-in. If you get the Volant, you might be able to sell the K&N on here and get some of your money back.

I'm not sure where you can get one, I've been wondering that myself...

#47 ·
I misunderstood and was trying to hold on to my K & N air filter because I so recently purchased it. But in the overall picture I will go with the Volant CAI but as for this summer I shall just go with a pulley. Try for the Volant during winter hopefully. Going to have surgery, so will have a month less of money and need to save up for next semester's expenses.

Thx for the input though.

#49 ·
i have a problem i bought and intake and i dont think it fits i have a 2001 focus zx3 and the intake says its for a Ford Focus DOHC Zetec Cold Air Intake ive been up two days trying to put this together help!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.