Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Is an UDP a good idea or not

1K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  mconrada 
#1 ·
i have heard many ppl say that when u intsall an UDP it reduces the life od your engine because the bearings in the rod will go out quicker, but i have heard this on other engines and was wondering if anyone has had this problem,

thanx
Nizzle

#2 ·
Ahhhhhhhh, the great debate.............there are a great many theories on whether to UDP or not to UDP. If you do a search you will find threads to keep you reading for quite some time. In all the discussions I have yet to see or hear of actual documented proof regarding the negatives of installing a UDP. As such, I am one of the many who dispells the hearsay
and voodoo chants regarding the ills you will encounter with a UDP.......in other words I have one and like many others have had no problems at all.

#12 ·
Damn rookies LOL [slap]

I doubt a UDP will do much harm, but it's a pretty silly mod IMO. It's not difficult to install with basic tools (hint: a torque wrench is a "basic tool"!). I installed a UDP on my car sort of as a joke. I would consider it a waste of time, but I really enjoy learning this stuff. Plus, it turned out that a pebble had lodged in my tensioner pully and shredded one of the ribs on the stock drivebelt, so I was due for a new belt anyway.

I'm interested to see if there's any loss of A/C performance this summer. Also, the water pump now spins slower, so overheating is theoretically more likely. But like I said, I'm not too worried.

If you want a UDP, go ahead and install one. Just don't get your hopes up.

#15 ·
Hehe. Like I said, I did it as sort of a joke, but I thought I'd feel SOMETHING!

Then again, since I was expecting maybe an extra 2whp at 5,000 rpm, I guess I got exactly what I expected. [:D]

My point was that for somebody who doesn't like tinkering with cars, it would be a waste of time and money. And for somebody who DOES like tinkering with cars, it's a waste of money.

It's also a matter of what route the owner takes. It's possible to get a whole bunch of little gains that will add up to something noticeable. That's not the path I want to take.

But that's just me. To each his or her own...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.