Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Engine won't start on occasion weird symptoms

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  whynotthinkwhynot 
#1 ·
hey there I am sure i was on this forum before but cant find my log in anyways. I have 2 focus one 2001 black sedan sport with zetec and a 2002 wagon sohc. the problem is with the wagon on occasion it wont start, there is power inside but when it gets to the start postiion it doesn't do a thing. also it is not consistant i canot reproduce the problem neither can the dealer after paying 3 times for nothing [shameful] . the WEIRD PART is that where the milage comes up is all lines, have a look at supplied pic. later on it will start, any help from tech gurus or previous experiences is really appreciated. PLEASE HELP!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Mine has done the same thing before, but it was PATS interference. I had one of those Speedpass keychain things that you wave at the pump at Exxon and Mobil to pay for your gas. It uses a similar concept as the PATS key. Occassionally, I would turn the key, the PATS light would flash and the ODO was blanked out like yours. Then it would go for weeks and never do it. Eventually, I figured it might be the Speedpass, so I took it off the keychain. Hasn't done it since.

#5 ·
ok well it is at the dealer right now and did the same thing for them so they said they wanted to keep it. I dont own a speed pass device at all so I can rule that one out. thanks for the reply if the dealer figures it out before the forum does I will post the results. in the mean time I am still looking for answers.

#9 ·
Wiring problems are not always easy to locate. Fortunately, those aren't as common as devices going bad, but it does happen. My heart goes out to you, it stinks to have to pay so much for something so simple. Thank goodness it's fixed now!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.