Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Went to the drag strip for the first time!
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2006, 09:34 AM   #32
Focus Fanatic
Fan#: 5254
What I Drive: n/a

FF Reputation: 1 firemanfrank Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Originally posted by Auto0utcast
... powershifting isnt healthy either. will it improve track times.. without a doubt, but i dont want every 17 and 18 yr old kid that reads "powershift your car at the strip" to go out and try it, ruin their vehicle and be out of a ride because of it.

When learning how to powershift, one should practice doing it on a vehicle that already has a trannie that's "on it's way out", or is "in need of repair/replacement". LOL

Me? I didn't have that luxury, so when I wanted to learn how to powershift some 20 years ago, I had to do it on a good trannie.

It was scary!

... for that extra tenth or 2 ill just shift rather quickly while removing my foot from the gas for that split second and have a lil more peace of mind.
Yup. Powershifting will gain someone a 1/10 or two in the 1/4 mile, so each individual person has to weigh out the plus/minuses of doing it.

But I gotta tell 'ya something though, because I've been doing it for so long, that if I'm racing through the gears I would have to plan ahead NOT TO DO IT.

Otherwise, it just comes naturally for me now.

some cars have better built drivetrains than others...
You're on a roll here A/O. Correct again! Different cars have different abilities as far as what their trannies can handle.

I remember when I was racing 5 liter Mustangs, that I eventually had to buy an aftermarket "beefed up" Borg Warner trannie. This was because the stock B/W trannie's torque rating limits were WAY too close to the amount of torque that my car was actually putting out.

... the focus mtx75 isnt going to hold up to that kind of abuse at the dragstrip for very long.
Is that the same trannie that's in my ST Travis?

Man, I hope not ...
"Hypocrisy is the greatest evil of our time." -St. Padre Pio