Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Went to the drag strip for the first time!

3K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  MVent 
#1 ·
Today I went to the drag strip for the first time. I have a stock '03 SVT focus. I did 6 runs today, my times improved a little after each race but I still need to work on some things.

I just popped the clutch at around 3500 rpm and ran. I tried to slip the clutch a couple times(around 4000rpm) but Im still not completely sure on how to do it properly and I got poorer times when I tried.
I think another area where I messed up is I kept taking my foot off the gas when I shifted, its a really hard habit to break! Im thinking if I would have kept my foot to the floor I would have shaved off a tenth or two. I shifted at 7100 rmps and kept it in 3rd gear until finish. So here is my time slip. I got 16.173 @ 87.26mph. I still need some improvement, any advice on what parts of my race I should improve would be helpful! Thanks

60': 2.436
330: 6.887
1/8: 10.469
MPH: 68.27
1000:13.586
1/4: 16.173
mph: 87.26

See less See more
#2 ·
your troubles seem to be in the first half of the 1/4, the et and mph at the 1/4 look about right but it looks to be doggish til the 1/8th. 10.4 @ 68 is struggling to make power down low.

#3 ·
but thats beacause he has a stock untuned SVTF, you can't make power down low ;(

Get a tune and that will wake up 20 wheel torque from 2000-5000RPM (110-130), makes a world of difference at a drag strip with 60' times

#4 ·
Seems the average SVT car with an average driver usually hits low 16's high 15's...but the magazines always show low 15 sec time...im assuming they are using somewhat of professional drivers or whats the deal?

#6 · (Edited)
Auto Outcast do you think my launch could be the problem with the first half? Do you think me letting off the gas a little when I shift would cost me 2 tenths? (I never got a chance to test it)
Hey 04autoxer, how much did your 1/4 time improve with just a tune?

Yeah I think those magazine drivers are definitly proffesionals! But I have decided not to buy in performance parts for my car until I can get my driving half way decent, so when I can get 15.7 in the 1/4th then I will start adding stuff!!! HalfTime(on these forums) says he can get 15.2 in a stock SVT?!?!?! Experience I guess. Or altitiude maybe!

phoenix...YES! I believe the Cedar Falls dragway is about HALF the distance as the Cordova one!(double check if I am wrong) Cedar Falls is right next to Waterloo, probably not as nice as the Cordova strip but it is still a good place to run. I will pm you there website.

How bad is my '60 foot by chance? Thanks for the replys!

#7 ·
SVT_BMXer said:
Seems the average SVT car with an average driver usually hits low 16's high 15's...
Yup, they do.

... but the magazines always show low 15 sec time...
No, they don't.

R&T - High Desert Showdown
SVT Focus
0-60: 7.4
1/4 mile: 15.6

MT - The Sport Compact A-Team
FOCUS SVT
0-60: 7.4
1/4 mile: 15.7

C&D - The Featherweights: Serial Thrillers
Focus SVT
0-60: 7.7
1/4 mile: 15.9

C&D - Desert Foxes
Focus SVT
0-60: 7.8
1/4 mile: 16.1

#8 ·
i'm guessing location matters, cuz my 04 automatic 2.3 with intake/exhaust ran 10.4 in the 1/8 too

#10 ·
It takes a good amount of practice I think...not speaking from experience cause I've never been to a track with my car...but I bet if you hit it a few more times you'll get it good!

Are you guys saying that you have to keep your foot to the floor even when you put the clutch in to shift????? I never knew that!

Good luck in the future man....maybe a nice tune to get you a little closer to your powerband would do good shit for you.

#11 ·
keeping the gas down while shifting? thats new, must be some secret racer trick, i'm not gonna try it, i dont want to blow an engine.

#13 ·
i have no idea about shifting while racing in a standard, since i dont drive one, i can get a pretty awesome launch in my moms car , but when i shift i just get to about 5500 and shift like i normally do just really fast and i can almost always chirp second. i dont know any secret racer tricks though.

#14 ·
working on your 60' will net some gains if you can net a low 2.3 or 2.2 then that will generally improve your times by a couple tenths down the far end as well. theres still something going on in the first 660'. make sure everything is running right and give er a quick tune up before going next time.

#15 ·
nomoreavril said:
i have no idea about shifting while racing in a standard, since i dont drive one, i can get a pretty awesome launch in my moms car , but when i shift i just get to about 5500 and shift like i normally do just really fast and i can almost always chirp second. i dont know any secret racer tricks though.
they aren't secret racing tricks lol...powershifting is pretty well known in the car modding world. They are just things you have not learned yet.

#18 ·
hell, i still "granny shift" (rather quickly) at the track and im still pulling decent #'s. just work on the launch and shift as close to redline as possible in the svt in EVERY gear. traction is your friend... remember that.

#19 · (Edited)
Do you just pop the clutch when you launch or do you slip the clutch?

Well my car has 23,000 on it. Im not sure what could possibly be out of tune causing me to be doggy in the first 660. I might check my spark plugs and see if I can learn whats going on in the cylinders, but the car is practically brand new all my fluids are clean, my Dual Stage Intake switch is in place (which can sometimes cause problems with svt owners). I have new tires, good alignment, air filter is a clean k&n unit, tranny/clutch shifts great, im not thinking the fuel filter would be bad at 23k....
I think if anything thats messing up my 660 its probably me! I may not be pushing the pedal all the way to the floor after my tires get done spinning.

I will take your guy's advice on lowering my tires to 25psi, I definityly think it may improve my launch as you say! I might dump my spare tire, jack and rear seats(if they come out easy) and run 1/4th of gas, but I doubt that will do too much of anything.
I will also "clean off" my tires with a short 5000rpm spin of the tires, I never did that when I ran. Again Im not sure if that will do much of anything besides wasting good rubber....

I am going back this friday! My goal is about 15.7 to 15.8, I think it is reachable in a stock SVT as the magazines say. Who ever thought just getting a few tenths would be such a pain! Anymore tips would be really helpful, I am still learning!!

#20 ·
i personally slip the clutch (as much as possible being as i have a stg 3 SPEC) until approx 5500 rpm's then drop it completely, shift into 2nd @ 61-6300 than shift @ 62-6500 the rest of the way down the strip (yes i NEED to hit 4th) obviously with th svt you need to hold your gears until nearly rev limit, but try the slipping technique some more and see where that gets you. its netted me a 2.314 as my best 60' on stock 15" rubber.

#22 ·
turbovation said:
Are you guys saying that you have to keep your foot to the floor even when you put the clutch in to shift????? I never knew that!
Yup, BUT ....

If you don't have a short throw shifter, then you're taking a chance when attempting to powershift ACROSS the "H" pattern.

In my car, the 1/2 and the 3/4 powershifts are fairly straightforward.

But w/o an STS, I completely avoid the 2/3 powershift so that I don't have to cross over the "h" pattern.

Just a 'lil hint!

#26 ·
Some one you guys really are clueless on drag racing, and thier for should not make any comments to some one who has a question about drag racing unless you know what the [:)][:)][:)][:)] your talking about.

Powershifting will save you tenths in the 1/4 mile, and by no means are you at risk of blowing your motor. Thier is a rev limiter, and it is thier for a reason. But if your stupid enough, and bounce of the limiter during a shift, the wrose thing that'll happen is 1) your gonna run some shitty times, 2) your gonna foul out your plugs. I don't care who you are, or how fast you shift, just because you can chirp the tires during a shift, does not mean that you are some sort of crazy fast shifter. A powershift is ment to keep your rpms up, and once the clutch re-egages, it "shocks" the drivetrain, like adding 20 more whp for a split second. The ONLY downside to powershifting is 1) takes practice to do it right, and 2) rips through clutches much faster then normal. That's why it;'s for racing, not for getting groceries.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.